The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Most of the votes are in and "Body & Soul" with a commanding lead in the voting is our next song. Here are some links to get started with. I tried something a little different this time with a mixed double-time ballad style for the realtracks BIAB backing track. I took a few liberties with the chords and this version has a 4-bar intro, 4 choruses and a standard ending.

wiz

Body & Soul.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Body & Soul.pdf - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I recorded this recently, so I'll kick things off with this:

I'll try to do a full improv/comping vid too with the backing track...

User Info Menu

Somebody's going to comment that this is our eighth straight ballad.
    David

(but I like it)

User Info Menu

Nice job as usual Jeff. I love your chord melodies and your videos are well done too.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hey Jeff really good example of solo guitar playing witha nice feel and use of space. Thanks for posting and I am looking forward to the next one.

Tom

User Info Menu

You make it seem easy Jeff :-) Great technique with real feeling. What more could I ask for? Can't wait for the next one(s)...

Tony

User Info Menu

Howie, thanks for the lead sheet and backing track. I definitely like the feel... could it just be me (my system) or is there a lot of hiss on the track, rather like an old 78 (which does add some charisma though)? :-)

tony

User Info Menu

Hey Jeff...beautiful playing, could feel the tune. I dig your rhythmic rubato thing, very cool. I could go on about the the great things for a while. Your a very accomplished player. One thing you might try and control even better is the tension of your harmonic rhythm... this is a fairly advances concept... and we usually use our ears but you can use different schemes to control the tension of your changes. How we mix for example, basic chord tones with tensions or extensions, the actually changes. Triads and 7th as compared to triads and 9ths, 11ths and 13ths, and then obviously subs, chord patterns, approach and passing chords and re-harms, or even just added notes, chromatics and embellishments. They all imply changes which creates a harmonic rhythm, which influences the feel...
    Long story short, the act of simply being aware of concept will usually cover... your ears work. Sorry for long BS, but it's another one of those details.... Again, dig your playing and great solo versions, looking forward to next one...Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas...

Say, Reg, not to hijack, but if you ever get a chance to do a vid to talk more about "harmonic rhythm," i'd be very interested...or if you've already done one and I've missed it, let me know...

I'm reading those words and I'm thinking they're making sense, but my brain is going six different directions with it...but maybe that's the idea anyway...at any length, thanks for listening and for the new ideas...

User Info Menu

lovely jeff

how about a smile now and then? I do the same thing, people might not realize we are enjoying ourselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thanks fellas...

Say, Reg, not to hijack, but if you ever get a chance to do a vid to talk more about "harmonic rhythm," i'd be very interested...or if you've already done one and I've missed it, let me know...

I'm reading those words and I'm thinking they're making sense, but my brain is going six different directions with it...but maybe that's the idea anyway...at any length, thanks for listening and for the new ideas...
    We did a lot of harmonic rhythm in college, especially when arranging chorals (I will never miss those parallell fifths). I don't know how much you already know about this, but the concept is basically how often you change chords. The preception of the harmonic rhythm can be altered by using pedal point, adding or altering notes, etc.
    Wikipedia has an article, but it is far from great.

I've got some examples in some books, if you're interested.
    (Over PM, perhaps? Don't wanna hijack the thread).

User Info Menu

Hey Mr B... yea as PerA said it can be used to talk about changing chords, but there is quite a bit more, actually I don't even think of changes that much, I relate to more of a concept. The accent patterns created by use harmonic concepts. The actual chords are the byproducts of what concept your using.
    Harmonic rhythm can simply be as simple as the tonic - Dominant flow of music, or Sub-dom., Dom. or tonic whatever. Whatever concept, or design the tune implies or you decide to make the tune imply... creates a harmonic rhythm. In the 1st example, tonic-dominant can be thought of as a functional harmonic rhythm, in the traditional sense or you can use all dom7ths and not really be worried about traditional resolutions, almost think of in a modal concept... tonic being at rest and dominant wanting to get there... but with out the voice leading resolutions thing... Or use all lydian chords and still have a I or tonal center and use whatever you decide on as functional device to make chords want to get back to that tonal center.... this is a entirely different discussion... I've been through before....
    In reference to your playing of Body and Soul, a was talking about the harmonic rhythm created by your choice of chords , not changing chords, the actual choice of chord tones and tensions or extensions.
    The dissonance or richness of full chords, or use of upper extensions, the texture created by those choices also helps create harmonic rhythm... the "accent pattern", which is what we generally use rhythmically to create grooves or styles of music can also be created by as I was saying, the texture or choice of chord tones and tensions patterns you play. So this "accent pattern".... created by the texture of how you mix trids, 7th chords, 9ths etc... will create a "harmonic rhythm". Think of it as you think of rhythmic ideas... and how you combine them to create grooves, or a least work with the implied groove or accent pattern of tune your playing...
    I'll make some videos... I'm booked until Tuesday... and I need to read through Cry Me a River and now Body and soul... I'll get after it...Reg

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of "noise-free" BIAB backing tracks

3 chorus track +intro-->Body & Soul in Db.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Vocalist track (key of G)-->Body & Soul (Vocalist).mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

are these track less noisy (opinions please)

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks Wiz...those are both a lot less noisy than that first one.

User Info Menu

One more thought... the hyjack thing is totally cool now that I think about it... Why are we playing through standards.... not to simply memorize and play etc... to understand the concepts and approaches to playing through standards...
    You can memorize 500 tunes and still not really be able to play through any of them ... but when you begin to understand the tunes you can play through 500 tunes very easily... It's somewhat like trying to memorize all the chords, inversions etc... takes a lifetime and you won't remember them all, and what's worse... you won't really know how to use them... but when you understand the concepts of how chords are derived, the different styles of chords and the concepts of how and why there voiced... you'll actually have an unlimited source of chords, and may begin to develop your own voice... I gots to go.... Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    lovely jeff

how about a smile now and then? I do the same thing, people might not realize we are enjoying ourselves.
    lol, when I was a youngster, my mom use to tell me to smile when I was in a bad mood, I always hated it when she did.

(I'm not saying Jeff is in a bad mood, but if he looked at the camera and gave us a big smile, well wouldn't that just look silly? Are there videos of guitar players out there where they're just smiling away?)

Is a forced smile really a smile?

User Info Menu

Mr. B,

Great job on your chord melody. Nice chord choices and I'm really drawn to a Gypsy jazz influence that I hear from your fills. Hmm, is it the articulation or perhaps the note choices? Probably both.

What's the jingle jangle at 0:30 and 0:45? Is that your dog the percussionist? I actually like it, it makes me smile. (Your video making me smile, now that's a good thing)

Mr. B, check your messages please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Frank, you're going to have Jeff look like Roy Rogers

Tom

or is that trigger

User Info Menu

Hi Howie, I hope I didn't offend you. You have done a great job at keeping our motley crew together and along with... well everyone just about, you're contribution is greatly appreciated.

I don't have my sound system booted but when I do I'll let you know if the new versions are still noisy.

Also, thanks Tom for that excellent backing track too!

Cheers,
    Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    lol, when I was a youngster, my mom use to tell me to smile when I was in a bad mood, I always hated it when she did.

(I'm not saying Jeff is in a bad mood, but if he looked at the camera and gave us a big smile, well wouldn't that just look silly? Are there videos of guitar players out there where they're just smiling away?)

Errol Garner?

User Info Menu

Hey Tony, no offense taken here, I needed to take time to fix my recording
    problem and, thanks to Tom & Frank, I think the noise problem is much improved. Now if I can find the time, I need to work on "Body & Soul".

wiz

User Info Menu

Jeff, what more can I say than that was beautiful playing. Nice job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Now if I can find the time, I need to work on "Body & Soul".

wiz
    +1 to that Howie :-) Me too!

User Info Menu

This is my first cut at Body & Soul in Db. I'm not real happy with it yet so I'm going to do it again in G (my vocalists' key). This one is 3 choruses with the first chorus as a comping chorus and the other two are improv.

wiz

BS in Db.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Really liked your improv on this one howie...

More of that "easy starlighters swing"...never rushed, always melodic.

Good stuff...and good to see someone else trying this tune out...c'mon now, don't be shy!