The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Thanks Jeff, this song is a nice one to work on. I like the way the chords go together and the melody is great too. I need to work on a chord melody for this one.

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing Wiz, very melodious, a joy to hear!

User Info Menu

It's great to hear some comping Howie. I still remain convinced that it is more essential to be able to accompany someone else than to be able to play great solos. Of course, you show admirably well that you can do both :-) Nice work!

User Info Menu

really nice improv on this one wiz

User Info Menu

@Wiz, Cool improv a usual, very melodic and thoughtfull. On the comping side try and relax a little more you seemed to start off like an express train and then settled down to a good feel. I would think the acid test would be to get the other half of the "Starlighters" to sing the melody over your comping.
    All in all a good job when you consider that for most of us theses tunes are all a work in progress. Thanks for posting.

Tom

User Info Menu

While comping is being talked about in this thread I thought I would set up BiaB to do just that. B+S Comp.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage This is 1 chorus of BiaB comping with Bass and Drums, If anyone wants a leadsheet of this let me know and i will see if I can get one sorted out.

Tom
    Last edited by oilywrag; 02-20-2012 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Tom - thanks a lot - that's excellent. Damn, BIAB is a better guitarist than I am now :-)

tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyknight
    Hi Tom - thanks a lot - that's excellent. Damn, BIAB is a better guitarist than I am now :-)

tony
    Me too, Tony. I think the realtracks guitarist is from Canada but I don't remember his name. Sometimes his comping sounds a lot like Ed Bickert.

wiz

User Info Menu

As a pro guitarist for a software company they should be good , the nice thing is it can be used as a tool to learn from . Do these guys comp set patterns, do they just try and fill the gaps in the melody or solo. This is doing the opposite of what Jimmy Bruno once advised one of his students. The idea in there case was to use Biab to create a solo and then comp around that. Like I said if anyone wants a pdf then let me know and I will see if I can dig one out and get it posted somewhere..

Tom

User Info Menu

Here's my submission. Because of what Tony was suggesting, I did my own comping. I used BIAB for Bass and Drums.

Body and Soul.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Wow Frank! That is really cool and very relaxed. Good lines, good chords, good feel, I would like to hear more of the same. Your music is good stuff, Thanks for posting.

Thanks Jazzaluk, for the nice, encouraging comments.

wiz

User Info Menu

@Steve, very tasty, easy on the ears, and something new.
    @Frank, seems the time away from the guitar did no harm to your play at all, nice chords, cool lines and great feel what else can I say. Only I would like more thank you

To all that have posted thanks for making this one of the better threads

Tom

User Info Menu

Nice playing guys. I especially like the fingerstyle versions, you guys do it very well with a nice feel. The tune speaks for itself. I'll try to get something done tonight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyknight
    jazzaluk -very nice sound and playing. I really enjoyed it. Did you record using the Zoom's internal mics? Can't you record direct from your guitar? I tried the zoom for a few days thinking it might be a practical way of easy recording, but decided that it wasn't up to the task and reverted to the old way of going through some form of analog to digital conversion box. Still looking for the right one though.

tony
    Thanks Tony ... I simply used the external mic after I got all tangled up with chords and computers trying other methods. I figured if I wanted to participate I should just put something out and worry about recording techniques later. I was actually very surprised to hear how well the mic picked up the acoustic sound of the guitar. Anyway, I am basically a "couch-noodler" these days and I usually only record small phrases to hear what they sound like. I should really dig into it more ... there are so many great sounds people are getting from simple setups these days.
    Last edited by Jazzaluk; 09-08-2011 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I hope I don't put anyone to sleep with this one.

01 Body and Soul.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by Kman; 09-09-2011 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Kman - it must be around midnight somewhere, right? AT first I did find it a little slow, but I appreciated the phrasing and movement of notes, as well as the space. I really imagined that end of the perfect evening moment: the tone and feeling played a big part here. So at the end of the day, eh, evening, I enjoyed the slow tempo a lot! Great work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This is my first cut at Body & Soul in Db. I'm not real happy with it yet so I'm going to do it again in G (my vocalists' key). This one is 3 choruses with the first chorus as a comping chorus and the other two are improv.

wiz

BS in Db.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Real nice Wiz.

I'm really feeling it at about 2:00 where your comping settles into the groove real nice.

Great acoustic jazz tone. Very melodic single line playing. And I like those interpretations of the melody bits you quote here and there. It's real cool to hear everyone's take on this.

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

@Frank - I totally forgot to thank you for doing that comping - it's sweet. After listening again, I can see that this particular rhythm is one I should be able to handle at that tempo.

User Info Menu

It is not too slow Kman, very cool and introspective lines with open space in place where it sounds good. I like listening to it late at night as a relaxing sound.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kman

Nice choice to play that melody in a lower octave. Sounds real good and adds to the development of the tune.

At 01:25: Is that a diminished based line? Loving that line and the next bit at 01:34.

At 2:34, tasty. F7 altered scale? You resolve that nicely to the Bb-7.

I like your use of referencing back to the melody.

Real cool.

User Info Menu

I'm not ready to move on from this thread yet. I didn't do an analysis because now and going forward I want to first record my version... that's my priority. 1st things 1st.

I may get to the analysis, but I think it would be a better learning experience if we do some self critiques. Perhaps we can make comments about anything interesting we came across, share a line or 2 if you want, etc.

For me what is best about these threads is it gets me recording which then has me self-evaluating my playing. And that is a really great learning experience. And be part of this group of friends and getting the encouragement, that just feels good.

I'm short on time at the moment but I'll do a self critique a bit later and I hope others will join in.

User Info Menu

I really like your concept on all the tunes you submitted. You have a very cool and classic voice. You definitely played this slower than i would expect, but the effect is hypnotic and almost therapeutic . I am amazed at your internal clock. The timing is excellent, which is very difficult at this slow tempo. I know I would be jumping on top of the beats at this speed. You stay nicely in the pocket throughout.

Very enjoyable.

User Info Menu

Thanks Frank. I don't remember what I played. It was late and I had a couple glasses of wine. I set the drum machine too slow. I did miss a melody note, damn. Thanks. I really liked your track also. Good to hear your recordings. Don't stop.

Thanks for the nice comments Wiz and Jazz, and your recordings are very nice also. I enjoyed them.
    Last edited by Kman; 09-11-2011 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I find that I consistently like your sound, Kman.