The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    Fep, Thanks - first of all. I was wondering, tho. How come you say the B9 in the end of the A part as the V chord? I'd say it was a tritone substitution for a Fm7, and hence the B9 - Bb7 - Ebmaj7 could be seen as a ii-V-I in Eb.

You're the educated one so I guess you have your reasons. Please let me know.
    Yes that's a mistake. As Reg said there are two choices.

I call it a bVI7 and that's what I should have wrote. I choose the bVI7 because I hear it that way. That relationship pops up so often and is so distinctive to my ear that I prefer think of it as it's own 'entity' and not as a substitution. But I think it's just a matter of how you hear it.

If you hear it as a tritone sub then as Reg said, it would also be proper to analyze it that way.

I guess I should go back and correct that, thanks for the heads up. I really need an editor, I can't seem to make it through one of these without a mistake here and there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Franks... your posts are much appreciated and even though your getting paid the big bucks, (for your posts)... don't worry about the simple typos... I think it's actually great... makes us think about analysis... Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Franks... your posts are much appreciated and even though your getting paid the big bucks, (for your posts)... don't worry about the simple typos... I think it's actually great... makes us think about analysis... Reg
    Absolutely agree. Thanks fep

User Info Menu

Kman - I really dig your laid back style and how you are not afraid to leave so much space which is lovely.

Wiz - great job on this one

User Info Menu

Hey Kman,

Sorry I'm so late listening, I was fixin' to record my own before listening to anyone else.

Nice laid back style, brings to mind a laid back smokey bar vibe.

Some things I'm hearing, let me know if that's what you were thinking...

Alt scale over that first G7?

Eb scale with some chromatics added over the D7 alt? Good idea as it gives a nice alt sound with the b9 #9 b5 #5 b7, that scale is full of alt tones.

Cm and Cm harmonic minor scales & chromatics over G7 of the 2nd B section? Also choke full of altered tones.

I think one of your strong points is your use of space, gives your playing a strong sense of melody. Speaking of which, I like the hints to the original melody throughout your solo.

User Info Menu

Fep, yes obviously a lot of altered stuff with chromatics. You pretty much nailed it. I had a couple of major flubs here, but the rest was ok. I often go back to the melody. I don't conciously do it, it just kind of feels right at times. I guess I use a lot of space too.
    Last edited by Kman; 08-27-2011 at 09:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This my version of improv on "Cry Me A River" in C minor. I was concentrating on playing around with the melody line along with a lot of arpeggios. All comments will be much appreciated.

Cry Me A River.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

wiz
    Nice tone Howard, very vintage sounding.

Digging that lick at the end of the first chorus. As a matter of fact you have now been added to my “lick diary”. It's a great example of ignoring the changes for a moment and just blowing on a blues scale.

2nd chorus, I like the way you return to that same D note over different chords.

Nice motif playing at places also. And yes the arps sound good especially mixed in with a bit of blues. Good job my friend.

Thanks for posting, I learned a thing or two from your track
    Last edited by fep; 08-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks fep, it is an honor to be added to your lick diary, that is a first for me. It seems like I learn something from each new song we take on. My learning curve for playing is still going up and I love this process. I am out of practice with the analysis but I will pay more attention and try to do more analyzing for future tunes.

wiz

User Info Menu

Trying to keep this thread alive for a bit, so I got off my lazy butt and tried recording something:

User Info Menu

Great work everyone! And thanks for keeping the thread alive, Frank. I had left this song alone for a week or so but started messing with it again earlier tonight. I was really hoping to be able to post something this time around and I have the day off tomorrow so maybe I'll try to record.

User Info Menu

Well done, Frank! Laid back and right in the pocket! I really like the "feel" you are getting on this one. It puts me in a club late at night just listening, relaxing and enjoying the good sounds.

wiz

User Info Menu

Frank - this is really superb! A few months of needed rest seems to have launched you to a new level. I love your phrasing and intentionality which is never overwhelmed with technique for the sake of, well, just exemplifying technique. Your performance speaks to me "this is possible - take the time and even I can do it". Space and harmony are just excellent.

The tone is essentially what I am looking for. Taking out the element of your fingers and technique, do you think that this tone is 'typical' of your set-up? I imagine that you're using your Eastman but would love to know what guitar, amp, and (direct?) recording method you used.

It's really great to have you back here :-)

Tony

User Info Menu

Lot of great stuff here, guys! Working on getting the changes and theme straight, hoping to record my own version soon.

I have been following these threads with great interest since I started hanging out here, but my new job and new apartment (and new mortage) have taken most of my time lately. Hoping to contribute more in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Trying to keep this thread alive for a bit, so I got off my lazy butt and tried recording something:

I enjoyed this Frank. A bluesy feel and some nice chordal stuff. Very tasty

User Info Menu

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement and camaraderie... and positive vibes. For me that's what this is all about; well and learning a think or two on our guitars.

Tony, my guitar set up on this one, I think you're going to like it since I used a synth access guitar.

That's a Godin Lgx-SA

I used the neck pu, the Godin comes stock with a Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pu, volume at about 7, tone at about 7.

That went thru my Digitech GNX3000 then straight to the computer for recording.

That's my typical set-up though I'd generally use my Eastman for something like this. But the Godin was talking to me, "Oh, play me, Oh, Oh, play me, play me, PLAY MEEEEEEEE".
    Last edited by fep; 08-30-2011 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Frank - that is a surprise! And very impressive. Boy, and I have my heart set on an archtop :-)
    tony

User Info Menu

Hey Frank very tasty with an excellent feel. I bet it feels good to be back here?? Thanks for posting

Tom

User Info Menu

Absolutely loved it, in all aspects!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Absolutely loved it, in all aspects!
    +1 :-)

User Info Menu

Great work, Frank! Nice to hear you playing!

User Info Menu

Hey Tom, Sgreb, ESCC, Dazz, thanks for the comments and encouragement.

PerA, nice tone on your guitar, very archie ane acoustic sounding. Nice old school vibe, & right in the pocket. Thanks for positng, it's great to see others joining in.

See you over on the Body and Soul Thread.

User Info Menu

I heard Jeff for the first time, on very good acid in a cool old hotel in downtown Saigon. It was the truth album. I'd never heard of him let alone a wah wah or Rod Stewart. Astounding is too mild a word for that experience.

This is a really nice treatment of the Cry Me A River. The guitar sound is very much like a human voice in many places and the vibrato is also much like vocal vibrato. Love the synth pad and the vocal samples. Thanks for posting this.

Now if I could just meet that hot lady bass player. I figured she'd move on to jazz. You could tell she was just out of some jazz school and gettin ready to fly. Wave on babycakes.

Ron

User Info Menu

Just heard this. Very nice. Love that feel for this tune.