Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

| Ebmaj7 | Bbm7 | Ebmaj7 | Dm7b5 G7 ||
    || Cm7 | Abmaj7#11 | Cm7 | Am7 D7 |
    | Gmaj7 | Abm7 Db7 | Fm7 | Bb7 |
    | Cm7 | Cm7 /Bb | Am7 | D7 ||

This would simply be a starting choice, one, there a few. With changes, melody, context and general tendencies from the period, I make a choice... etc..
    So Ebmaj to either Db lydian or Bb dorian, anyway you want to handle the D to Db... It's just a groove,( 1st 4 bars), but it sets the tone for the tune not following standard V I functions.
    The D-7b5 G7 is the pivot or how he sets up tonal move to the relative Min. (C-). The Ab or bVI follows pattern of tonic like area to sub-dominant area. I'm using traditional terms very loosely. My point is the harmonic scheme is having non-traditional motion using traditional changes. Very similar to Shorter's method of harmonic construction using blocks of harmonic grooves etc... Ab is typical bVI which implies lydian something...usually goes to G7 or V7 and then to C- or I-... Anyway the A-7 D7 very traditionally gets you to Gmaj7. Which if you think of the tune as based on a three tonic system, or three tonal centers of harmonic construction... a major 3rd cycle, similar to Coltranes Giant Steps, just not so obvious. The Gmaj would be the 2nd tonal center, but the movement is deceptive, camouflaged. Our ears are being setup, the next seven bars are more of using traditional harmonic components to camouflage non traditional harmonic movement.
    As I said in video, Ab- Db7 is sub II V of Cmin, and The F-7 Bb7 is II V of Ebmaj... C- is the function sub of Eb, both sometimes called deceptive resolutions or even back door. But more important than the choice of names is how they continue to prepare our ears for Gmaj, the next tonic system. This time when we hear II V I, ( A- D7 Gmaj) it feels normal, our ears are ready, and he grooves on similar feel as intro with pedal. The cool thing about chord progression is you have options as to what you play over standard chord patterns. Hope helps... Reg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Howie... very cool... it really is a tough tune, but your ears are doing great, you hear each tonal area as a tonal center, it's very difficult thing to do. And you still need to keep the whole picture in focus... Great job...the sneezes were great... Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, I had some problems with this one. BTW, your analysis is very helpful and I'm gonna try approaching the song with some of the concepts you and Frank came up with.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hi Howie, thats a very fair attempt at a hard tune, sometimes these tunes come round to quickly and we tend to post before we are quite ready.Your ears once again haven't let you down. As for the sneezes they didn't cause you to loose your time so it doesn't matter. Nice job and thanks for posting.

Tom

User Info Menu

Sounded good to me Sgreb. I'm really struggling with this song. I don't even think I'm going to try to post anything...I'm just not there yet. Maybe on the next tune, but that's what I said on the last tune.

User Info Menu

just back from a holiday; thanks for the analysis Reg!!
    This tune is murder to solo over so well done all who posted versions.