The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

This is my version of "Round Midnight". I alway struggle with melody line for this song. The backing track is BIAB Bill Evans trio style with a 2 bar intro, 4 choruses and a standard 2 bar ending. Although I played this one by ear, I hear mostly Eb minor sounds for it. The first chorus is me comping the other 3 are improv. Sorry for the noisy background, my video approach isn't ready yet. All comments are helpful to me, please review this and give me your thoughts.

wiz

round midnight improv..mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last edited by Kman; 07-05-2011 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

very nice, Kman! I love your tone and the octaves added a lot at just the right time. I must listen to your good improv again to pick up some of your nice lines. Thanks very much for posting.

wiz

User Info Menu

here is my attempt at this done a while back:
    roundmidnight.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Thanks Jay, I'm still not real comfortable with my improv on the song. You have submitted a very nice uptempo version. I especially like the chord melody from the first chorus. Thanks for posting.

wiz

User Info Menu

Wow...I'm starting to second guess the idea of posting a version. I really enjoyed these.
    Wiz...yours really picked up steam along the way. The improv was great. The stuff around the 6:30+ mark especially. You mentioned struggling with the melody to this song, and I do too. I've only had a small chance to play with it, but the melody isn't coming easy.
    K-man, I'm having trouble accessing yours, too.
    Jay, that was great. You move between single notes and chords really well. I almost wish the backing track wasn't there at the beginning. The improv was great too, but chord melody is what I'm focusing on, so that beginning really grabbed my attention.
    Really good stuff guys. I spent some time on this song last night, and I must admit, it's not coming easy. Hopefully I'll be able to get something together in a timely manner...and hopefully it won't suck too bad.
    Last edited by morroben; 07-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome! These are great. I was especially impressed by Kman's version. It was so smooth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    This is my version of "Round Midnight". I alway struggle with melody line for this song. The backing track is BIAB Bill Evans trio style with a 2 bar intro, 4 choruses and a standard 2 bar ending. Although I played this one by ear, I hear mostly Eb minor sounds for it. The first chorus is me comping the other 3 are improv. Sorry for the noisy background, my video approach isn't ready yet. All comments are helpful to me, please review this and give me your thoughts.

wiz

round midnight improv..mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Wiz, I listened to yours and there are some really nice moments in it, especially when you played off the melody. You're on the verge. I would keep practicing the song. You have a nice sound and touch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayx123

Nice job Jay. I enjoyed the up tempo version and you play the melody perfectly.

User Info Menu

Here's mine...

Hope you all enjoy.

Really enjoyed what I heard so far...Howie, I love that tone...I also like the way you record these with the comping then the solo or melody...very informative...

Kman, what can I say? great feel...really captures what this tune is all about.

Jay, I missed yours, I'm gonna go back and check it out now.

User Info Menu

AH, jay that was great...all kinds of cool chords going on...really liked when the single note line kicked in too, good strong entrance, fat, fat, tone...

User Info Menu

Very nice Mr B!

User Info Menu

Mr B! that was beautiful.
    What guitar are you playing on?

User Info Menu

That was very nice Jeff. Good dynamics. You brought it up nicely and then back down. A lot of variety, very interesting. I'll be listening to that again.
    Last edited by Kman; 07-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.

User Info Menu

very nice chord melody Mr. B! I really like how your bass lines always seem to be in the right place to augment the sound of your nice chord voicings. That is a nice looking Kay, and you give the sound it deserves. Sounds like it would great to use behind a singer.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks gents.

Yeah Jay, that's my Kay "Master Cutaway," whith a DeArmond "Guitar Mike" pickup, which I actually bought from a forum member a year or so ago (who also had a Hofner New Pres. I should have bought that day too, but I digress..)

It's a really cool guitar...fattest neck I've ever seen (but narrow nutwidth) and tiny little frets...it's not the easiest guitar to play that I own, but it's sound is worth it--plug it into a tube amp (I used a princeton in this recording) and it's an instant classic jazz tone...I felt like it was a perfect guitar to play this tune on...

And yeah Howie, it's killer for backing up a singer...makes me feel all Barney Kessel.

User Info Menu

[quote=mr. beaumont;155867]Here's mine...

Hope you all enjoy.

Jeff,

Loved it! Very ascertive in your approach, just great.

User Info Menu

Mr Beaumont, FLAWLESS! That was so nice man

User Info Menu

Nice, Jeff.

User Info Menu

Thanks again you guys...

Hopefully we'll get a few more and then we can discuss this one...there's so many ways to harmonize this tune...I know "my way" is different than the real book, which is different from howie's chart which is different from other charts I've seen...

Just one of the best tunes ever written, imho...

User Info Menu

You guys are fast! And good! I'm still trying to get this song together.
    Really nice, Jeff....great playing and great tone. I like the way I can hear the separate movements of the bass and melody...doesn't just sound like chords rolling by. I'm hoping you'll make a chord melody lesson for your website someday.
    KMan, I was able to get yours to play today. Great playing, and the tone and feel added even more. I think it's the most "smokey bar room" version so far. That's how I always think of this song, so I enjoyed it a lot.

User Info Menu

I have now listened through the versions offered by wiz, kman and mr b. These guys are great, I hope I havent missed anyone, but if I did it will delight me to be able to hear some more and get inspiration. Much more than all that, get well fep! I didnt know but that was great news!

User Info Menu

I went looking for ideas and inspiration and found this

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    I went looking for ideas and inspiration and found this

That can't be jazz...he's playing on a Les Paul.

User Info Menu

Don is an awesome player & teacher. He was teaching at G.I.T. when I met him in 1978. I have not been in contact with him for about 30 years but I remember him well because he ( his trio) played the grand opening of my teaching studio in Huntington Beach, Ca., circa 1979. His version of 'Round Midnight is beautifully done and demonstrates his mastery of reharmoniztion techniques.

wiz