The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hello, and happy first day of summer/winter depending on your hemisphere.
    I've asked this before with no results, but here goes again. Several years (and a couple of computers) ago, I had a list of the titles that go along with the exercises in the Mickey Baker book, but lost it when a computer died. I've not run across it again anywhere. Anybody have or know of such a list or am I imagining it?
    Brad

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've never heard of such a list, though I'd love to find one!

User Info Menu

Which Mickey Baker book? Book one or book two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mstevenson
    Which Mickey Baker book? Book one or book two.
    Book one.

User Info Menu

Sorry it has been awhile since your last post. Okay; I'm checking thru Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar, book one:

The only song that I see referenced is "Dark Eyes". I hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mstevenson
    The only song that I see referenced is "Dark Eyes". I hope this helps.
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Once upon a dimly lit past, I had a list that showed what actual song many of the ones in the Mickey Baker book were taken from. As most of us probably know, you can't copyright chord changes, so supposedly Mickey Baker took the changes from standard tunes and renamed them so there would be no copyright problems. The list I had showed the title from Baker with the corresponding standard title.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Once upon a dimly lit past, I had a list that showed what actual song many of the ones in the Mickey Baker book were taken from. As most of us probably know, you can't copyright chord changes, so supposedly Mickey Baker took the changes from standard tunes and renamed them so there would be no copyright problems. The list I had showed the title from Baker with the corresponding standard title.
    I thought your original post was perfectly clear, Brad, though I've never seen such a list. There *is* a sight about working through Mickey's Book (vol 1) and the moderator sometimes posts here. (Heck, I *belong* to the group but the name escapes me now. Do a thread search for "Mickey Baker" in the title and you can find it.) I remember mention being made there of one of Mickey's progs being based on "How High The Moon."

User Info Menu

Ah, here's a link for you:

Mickey Baker

User Info Menu

Just doing a quick scan, I see (--at the link above, which works through Volume I chapter by chapter) mention of "One Note Samba" and "Moon Glow" in connection with Lesson Six.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    Ah, here's a link for you:

Mickey Baker
    Yes, familiar with the site, just haven't spent a lot of time with it.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Yes, familiar with the site, just haven't spent a lot of time with it.
    Brad
    I bet if you emailed that guy, he could tell you something about that list. I would be surprised if he doesn't know about it (-providing there is such a list.)

User Info Menu

I bet if you emailed that guy, he could tell you something about that list. I would be surprised if he doesn't know about it (-providing there is such a list.)
    Good idea, just did that.
    Brad
    Last edited by brad4d8; 06-28-2011 at 04:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Good idea, just did that.
    Brad
    Please let us know what you find out!

User Info Menu

Please let us know what you find out!
    He knows as little as the rest of us. I'm beginning to think I hallucinated the whole thing, and it's probably 40 years since I did any hallucinogen, well for the regular intake of a few beers.
    Brad
    PS I'll keep searching, though. Someplace I think I have a couple CDs with old files, of course thinking I do and actually finding them may be as hard as tracking down this elusive list.

User Info Menu

This topic comes up here from time to time and there is never an answer.

May I suggest looking for similar progressions at Ralph Patt's site:

The Tonal Centers Page

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    The Tonal Centers Page
    Thanks, looks like a good site. I was familiar with his Vanilla Book, but I guess I never explored the site too thoroughly. Maybe if I get ambitious I can match some of the progressions to Baker and post it.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    This topic comes up here from time to time and there is never an answer.

The Tonal Centers Page

COOL, Drumbler -- love, love, love this website. Mr. Patt has invested much work into this very useful, educational site. Thanks for the link, buddy.

kj

User Info Menu

I am hearing, "out of nowhere," "How high the moon," "sweet Georgia brown," and not sure of the last one. I am at work, have the book at home. But it may be lesson 46, it is licks over those changes. I think they are played as chord progressions in lesson 23? I just recognize them from listening to Bird (ornithology, out of nowhere) and Miles (Dig), for 40+ years. I am sure there are cats on this site that could tell you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nakim55
    I am hearing, "out of nowhere," "How high the moon," "sweet Georgia brown," and not sure of the last one. I am at work, have the book at home. But it may be lesson 46, it is licks over those changes. I think they are played as chord progressions in lesson 23? I just recognize them from listening to Bird (ornithology, out of nowhere) and Miles (Dig), for 40+ years. I am sure there are cats on this site that could tell you.
    I know one of the progressions is "Sweet Georgia Brown"---I recognized the cycle of dominants. Maybe 16-bar progressions, whatever that lesson is....

User Info Menu

Ok, what I hear is page 54, lesson 46. No.8= out of nowhere. No.9= How high the moon. No.10= Sweet Georgia Brown. No.11= ? I do not hear No.11, seems like someone here could identify No.11. Christ I am a drummer and do not hear chords for crap,lol. Seems like a real guitar player could identify No.11, & other changes/tunes in this book.