The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

OK, here's the backing track. I couldn't upload the original one due to copyright issues (it was an aebersold) but this one was generated with BIAB and is the same tempo.

SoundClick artist: jackzucker - page with MP3 music downloads

Just post a followup with your version!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love these group participation posts and this is an awesome tune. However, it's a bit intimidating for me to post my playing on this, you've set the bar awfully high. (I have an inconvienant excuse though, I'm still living at the hospital and don't have recording equipment).

User Info Menu

i'm going to have to record this with a live band. I have no problem with ppl using backing tracks but I just can't play with them, I tried to do a few takes but I just can't do it. Which is my own problem, lots of people end up working really well with them. I have pretty regular sessions so I'll just do it at the next one.

User Info Menu

Hey Jack, Count me in. I downloaded the backing track and it is excellent for Play-A-Long & practise. Which style (BIAB style) did you use?

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-22-2011 at 09:47 PM.

i used the RealStyle _BOSSAN Bossa w Ny-ElGuit _Pno (140 RS)

User Info Menu

Well, I'm definitely in...just gotta find time. Hopefully this week.

User Info Menu

Here is a recording I did on this a while back:

how.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

I dig these Threads... I think the level of play is movin on up on this forum... Yea... I did quick take over Jack's track... very cool Jack. thanks. Great Playing by all, really beautiful, Morton, burnin man I'm diggin it. I had a soul and then a R&B gig yesterday and last night, and have to get to my dinner jazz gig in a min. But I'll post a cool version tomorrow, I posted a sample of feel.... probable due to style of gigs...Reg

User Info Menu

This is a great tune and everyone has a different approach to it. Wow! What a great learning opportunity! All of you are really good guitar players and this is like one big jam session where all can participate. I will do my best to get something out tomorrow.

wiz

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Sounds smokin!

your tone and technique remind me of George Benson, really sweet. Oh how hard I tried to have that kind of technique when I was younger..

Looking forward to hearing your own version of the tune!

User Info Menu

Hey Thanks Morten... and I totally understand what your saying about playing lines that have been played a million times before. A lot of my gigs are just that... But I still dig plain... I composed, arranged and taught for a bunch of years... and am not as fried as some of my fellow musicians.... or it might simply be I'm wired a little incorrectly... anyway. yea I'll get something up sometime today... Mondays are usually my off day...sometimes... I arranged a quick re-harm of Days of Wine and Roses for the this other thread called Standards Practical Group, we share versions of standards once a month. I usually play a straight version as I did with How Insensitive , with analysis and then post something different, either with time or re-harm... Here's the re-harm of Wine and Roses, I arranged and played through just the one time, it was fun...Thanks again Reg

User Info Menu

good groove, Reg! as always, a good video to watch and learn from. I like your octave technique.

wiz

User Info Menu

Here is my take on this one, complete with some clinkers. (kind of difficult for me) As with previous posts, the first chorus is me trying to comp and the other 3 choruses are me trying to impovise on it.

wiz

How Insensitive 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-23-2011 at 06:10 PM.

User Info Menu

I think you sound like you're on the right track, man!

The only thing I hear is a "tentativeness," in your lines (you'll hear it in my version too, as much as I like the song this is the first time I've ever sat down and really got more than one chorus over it) so my guess is with some more time with the tune you'll be more confident in your lines.

And time for me to heed my own advice!

User Info Menu

OK... so here's a totally new re-harm. of How Insensitive... I just wrote it out... sort of got through... I have exceptionally busy week coming so I figured I'll post even though it pretty rough... I like the feel, and the changes. Here are the changes... basically. It's in 3/4, with a dotted quarter, dotted quarter / quarter, quarter, quarter... a 2- 3 feel.
    There's 16 out front...with this groove. Thanks Reg

C-13 / F9 ,F9#11 / A13 / #11 /
    C-9... / 11............ / G13 / #11 / repeated

C-11 .../ F9 , #11.. / A13....... / #11 /
    F13..... / (F13)....... / G13...... / G13sus G13 /
    C-9 .... / C-11 ......../ G13 sus ./ G13sus /
    F-9, 11 / Ab13....... / D-9, 11.. / G7alt. /
    Ab13.. / sus, 3......../ G13....... / sus, 3 /
    F13.... / F13 .........../ Ab13sus / Ab13sus /
    C-11.. / F13........... / D-11...... / G13, #11 /
    B-11 .../ Bb13, #11 / D-9, 11.. / G13, b13 //

User Info Menu

This is a tune that I've been meaning to learn for a while now. I think I'll try to jump on the bandwagon here as well.

User Info Menu

Man I love this forum!

I've never participated in a forum where the members are as Passionate, about their music, performances, teaching, guiding or exchanging comments and barbs, Passionate.

I've enjoyed each clip posted for reasons as different as the styles of those who posted. I can learn something from each one, please keep sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    OK... so here's a totally new re-harm. of How Insensitive... I just wrote it out... sort of got through... I have exceptionally busy week coming so I figured I'll post even though it pretty rough... I like the feel, and the changes. Here are the changes... basically. It's in 3/4, with a dotted quarter, dotted quarter / quarter, quarter, quarter... a 2- 3 feel.
    There's 16 out front...with this groove. Thanks Reg

C-13 / F9 ,F9#11 / A13 / #11 /
    C-9... / 11............ / G13 / #11 / repeated

C-11 .../ F9 , #11.. / A13....... / #11 /
    F13..... / (F13)....... / G13...... / G13sus G13 /
    C-9 .... / C-11 ......../ G13 sus ./ G13sus /
    F-9, 11 / Ab13....... / D-9, 11.. / G7alt. /
    Ab13.. / sus, 3......../ G13....... / sus, 3 /
    F13.... / F13 .........../ Ab13sus / Ab13sus /
    C-11.. / F13........... / D-11...... / G13, #11 /
    B-11 .../ Bb13, #11 / D-9, 11.. / G13, b13 //

Very hip groove and re-harm! Very good lines as well.

User Info Menu

Hey, for giggles, another take. Really just testing out the camera...obviously, I wanna switch to a higher quality! You just don't learn till ya see it on a bigger screen...

User Info Menu

WoW Jeff, great playing and great sound. thanks

User Info Menu

wonder if anyone knew that this tune is based on a Chopin prelude. I had an ensemble of students that I had them use that as a piano solo introduction. Maybe that was mentioned already and I'm just too lazy to read everything... plus I have a hockey game to watch.

I have a session tomorrow, I'll record it then. I have to drive to a gig in the afternoon so maybe I won't get it up till Thursday or Friday.

User Info Menu

OK I liked this song so much, went looking thru my Jobim books and found an arrangement by Paulo Jobim for piano, so now to figure out chords and maybe transpose to C.

User Info Menu

Wow! really nice Jeff! I love the soulful sound from your acoustic guitar. I can feel the emotion you put into the song and it is very fine music to my ears. Thanks for posting this version.

wiz

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hey, for giggles, another take. Really just testing out the camera...obviously, I wanna switch to a higher quality! You just don't learn till ya see it on a bigger screen...
    Yeah man, way to go! I think this kind of guitar and style suits you well, comes more out of the speakers here than your last take. Even some nice Djangoisms in there, I dig that!

Oh, and you should always make videos, not just audios! It's the youtube age, we want to see what's happening too! ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    is that Gitane, I was so close to buy one but had some problems on my job so i decided to wait little bit more... man just love the look of gypsy guitars

see that post move to more acoustic sound....great one
    also compliments to Reg, Wizard, tytlfamily( welcome aboard nice one), Kris

all the best Kerim
    Last edited by abdke99; 05-25-2011 at 07:34 AM.