The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortenFaerestrand
    Yeah man, way to go! I think this kind of guitar and style suits you well, comes more out of the speakers here than your last take. Even some nice Djangoisms in there, I dig that!

Oh, and you should always make videos, not just audios! It's the youtube age, we want to see what's happening too! ;-)
    I do really like playing this kind of guitar, even if not in a "hot jazz" kind of style...It's a lot of fun to do more modern things on it.

Thanks for the encouragement...I wasn't loving the first recording I did...I went in too cold...I was able to play for a little bit and warm up before the video and I felt better...that index finger has some work to do still, after being out of commission for a month...it still feels rubbery when I first start out!

Oh, and I saw your comment on the vid--it's a "Moustache" pick, made by some dude in holland. It ain't cheap, but it's the best pick for a gypsy jazz guitar I've come across, really gives me a good tone and great volume--and a fantastic "grip."

Quote Originally Posted by abdke99
    is that Gitane, I was so close to buy one but had some problems on my job so i decided to wait little bit more... man just love the look of gypsy guitars

see that post move to more acoustic sound....great one
    also compliments to Reg, Wizard, tytlfamily( welcome aboard nice one), Kris

all the best Kerim
    Yeah, Kerim, it's a Gitane Jorgenson Model...it's a nice looking and sounding guitar, and unlike some Selmer styles I've played, it sounds good played lightly too--you don't always have to hammer away at it (I think that's the D hole/long scale combo at work there)

Btw, man, I know you weren't loving the recording quality of your vid, but I really enjoyed your playing...really nice, flowing, relaxed lines with some interesting twists...I enjoyed it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hey, for giggles, another take. Really just testing out the camera...obviously, I wanna switch to a higher quality! You just don't learn till ya see it on a bigger screen...
    Jeff, what comes to my mind from your performance was that it was very musical. Great take on the embellished melody you played, the phrasing, the way you varied the dynamics, your use of space/silence, the groove and the way you got in the pocket. These are the things that do it for me. Fancy scale relationships and scales/arps from substititions, and blazing technique are cool, but for me it's these other elements that are more important. Thanks for posting.

And the video quality, you've really got that straightened out. Good sound and picture and lighting.
    Last edited by fep; 05-25-2011 at 10:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Yea... Mr B... nice take... I like that gypsy/latin/rock think... great conviction... really, I'm not joking... to really have an audience... any size, feel what your playing, one needs conviction. At many of my gigs audiences get into what I'm playing because I'm into it... spilling my gut on a ballad or having fun putting myself on the line burnin through some up tune, not just pushing myself, but the band... and the audience.... Can be different than simply the wow factor... anyway glad your getting your hands back, looking forward to more videos... a fan, Reg

User Info Menu

And of course, 'trane's a big influence on Holdsworth, and I imagine Rosenwinkel as well...

This has been a great thread. Between this and the Standard Practical Group there's more learning material than you can shake a stick at.

User Info Menu

And of course, 'trane's a big influence on Holdsworth, and I imagine Rosenwinkel as well...

This has been a great thread. Between this and the Standard Practical Group there's more learning material than you can shake a stick at.
    Yes Jeff.
    Right
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Great thread. Nice positive vibe.
    +1

I'm digging everyones take on this also.

The ebb and flow of this forum... nice vibe on this... seems the level of bickering has decreased.

Zappa said, "Shut up and play your guitar".

This form rocks.

User Info Menu

Yeah, not having been on this forum very long, its been pretty positive so far and a real motivator for me. A thread like this really shows the vast amount of creativity that comes out in so many way!

Cheers all,
    Tytlfamily

User Info Menu

Dear Wiz,

Your Sadowsky sound exelent.I like your chordal playing with slower groove.Nice feel.

Thanks
    Kris

ps.This model- J.Hall Sadowsky is also my "Dream Guitar". I use only not expensive copy of D'Aquisto.

User Info Menu

I finally got around to record, here is one of the takes.

User Info Menu

The camera picks up quite a bit of acoustic tone from the guitar. I am not using any delay only a T.C electronics nova reverb with the tin-plate setting through a fender princeton. I am using the looper from the Eventide-factor, not the best quality, but the pedal is great over all. These days I am using very little delay, mainly only when I am playing with overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    These days I am using very little delay, mainly only when I am playing with overdrive.
    Damn, after I heard your clip, I ordered a strymon el capistan thinking that I need to be getting a more modern sound like you get! I guess that's easier than practicing.

User Info Menu

Damn, after I heard your clip, I ordered a strymon el capistan thinking that I need to be getting a more modern sound like you get! I guess that's easier than practicing.
    I'll start using more delay to justify you getting that pedal(I have heard it is great).
    I am tempted to pull the trigger on the new Eventide space by the way.

have you played through the HD500? I'm wondering if I'd be better off with that than the strymon, my nuenaber reverb and other assorted pedalboard effects...

User Info Menu

have you played through the HD500? I'm wondering if I'd be better off with that than the strymon, my nuenaber reverb and other assorted pedalboard effects...
    I am not familiar with that unit, Line 6?
    I have an old Boss rv-3 that I used for a gig the other which worked ok, although I prefer the TC.
    Have you tried the Strymon bluesky reverb?

i haven't tried the strymon reverb. I'm pretty much set and forget when it comes to reverb or delay. I have outboard neunaber and digitech reverb pedals and they both sound great. Lately, I've been using a barber barbeq with my SS amps to give them more of a tubey vibe but the line6 probably does that even better and it has delay and reverb and yada yada....Just thinking out loud...

User Info Menu

Very nice version, Soco! I also really like the tone you are getting. I like the way you play over the changes, sounds modern to my ears and everything fits and connects very well.

wiz

soco, i just bought a $3k 175, otherwise I'd look for one of those axes. How much can you find one for used?

User Info Menu

Soco,

Finally got to take a listen...sounded great. I like how even in just a 2 and a half minute clip you take your time to develop your ideas...that's patience and classy playing right there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Very nice version, Soco! I also really like the tone you are getting. I like the way you play over the changes, sounds modern to my ears and everything fits and connects very well.

wiz
    Thanks a lot Wiz, I enjoyed your really soulful take on the tune.

User Info Menu

Soco,

Finally got to take a listen...sounded great. I like how even in just a 2 and a half minute clip you take your time to develop your ideas...that's patience and classy playing right there.
    Hi Jeff, thanks for listening and for the kind words. I am trying really hard to develop my ideas when I play, it is not always easy!

User Info Menu

Anybody know how to lose the piano from Jacks backing track? Or maybe someone has just a bass and drum track?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Anybody know how to lose the piano from Jacks backing track? Or maybe someone has just a bass and drum track?
    I can do a version without piano. I'll try to get to it tonight.

User Info Menu

Jack, thanks, no rush.

I can't get to it til Saturday anyway. I tried it solo but I tend to rush it after the head.

User Info Menu

I have a guitar arrangement by Jobim. Thought it was for piano until I took a good look at it. Has the bass clef line for the lows, melody line and a countermelody/chord line in the music. It's beyond my capability, anymore I'm pretty much single note melody with an occational triad now. Written in key of D. If anyone wants to try it, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to take it off my disk and put it on here.

User Info Menu

Hey Soco, great take. You are a fine player.

Wow, this thread is loaded with some real pros.