The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Hey Howie... sorry I forgot to post Nica's analysis...
    Tunes in the relative min. of Db, or Bb, right, bridge modulates to Db or relative maj. of Bb minor.

I-maj7 / / bVII-maj7............. Modal interchange from nat. Min. to MM. I to bVII is stardard Chord Pattern thought of and heard as almost like one chord. Helps create harmonic movement, in this case Tonic to Sub-Dom. Horace spells out complete chords with melody and counter line, both MM.
    Bars 7 & 8 at first sound like Modal Interchange , but becomes II V of Gb or bVI of Bb..but sounds more like modulation to Gb, with the C7#9 being standard sub of standard bVI dom. chord and the Db9 being it's sub. followed by standard altered II V of Bb or I-, and in this tune being I-maj7.
    The bridge jumps to relative maj or Db with typical Dom. Pedal (Ab), the F- to Bb7b9 is II V of II, Horace usually played the Db or I chord instead of F-. Anyway makes the Bb7b9 feel more like a VI7 chord instead of a II V of V of V... the chord progression was and still is standard method to extend the Sub dom and Dom harmonic rhythm before resolving to Db or the tonic... very blue like. The E-7 to A7 is simple sub of V. The use of II becoming Dom is common with secondary and extended Dom. and with use of Modal interchange to change what type of Dom. chord one uses.

* some notes on Dominant chords
    1) a dominant chord resolving, (going to) I chord has Dominant cadence.
    Ex. key of C...... G7 going to Cmaj7... V7 / Imaj7
    2) a dominant chord resolving to other chord than I, has Dominant resolution.(not Dom. cadence)
    Ex. key of C....dom. chord going to any chord besides C
    3) Secondary dominants resolve to Diatonic chords other than I.
    Ex. Key of C... a dom.7th going to any diatonic chord, (D-7, E-7, Fmaj7, G7, A-7, B-7b5. chords built on scale degrees from key of Cmaj.) other than Cmaj... being the I chord.
    4) Extended Dominants resolve to...a) secondary Doms. b) another extended dom. c) the related II- of another extended or secondary Dom. chord.
    Ex. A7, D7, G7, Cmaj7.... A7 is extendes Dom chord, D7 is secondary Dom chord, or V7 of V7, G7 is V7 of Imaj7 or Cmaj7
    B7, E7..... A7, D7...., G7. series of extended Dom., NO I chord
    B7, E-7..., A7, D-7..., G7. Extended Dominants with II-7 chords... No Ichord
    This is very typical jazz usage.
    Modal Interchange is a methodology used for chord substitution.
    Please ask any questions... about any of the above... hope helps Reg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, good analysis. I alway learn something from your videos.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hey Sgreb... very cool. I always dig your playing, you always have that natural real feel of expression going on. Your not worried about anything except the music your playing... You did a great job, even with a pre recorded track... Like your use of blue notes on bridge... the trick to using blues over dominant pedals, in this tune the Ab pedal under the changes is to try and not resolve to the Db until the changes get there, or at least keep the tension feel until that Db. Your playing was great... just pointing out for others to understand how the concept works. One other small detail to help with your technique... be careful with your at rest left hand position, your wrist, palm and most of your fingers get pretty far out of position when not playing. I know there's showmanship...and it can be part of the energy used to help create feel... but might be affecting your playing, lots of movement. Please don't take my comments wrong, I totally dig your playing... just trying to help... best Reg

User Info Menu

Sbreb, thanks for posting. You did some great stuff there. I wish more people would get involved with this thread.

Reg, as always thanks for posting the analysis.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Sgreb... very cool. I always dig your playing, you always have that natural real feel of expression going on. Your not worried about anything except the music your playing... You did a great job, even with a pre recorded track... Like your use of blue notes on bridge... the trick to using blues over dominant pedals, in this tune the Ab pedal under the changes is to try and not resolve to the Db until the changes get there, or at least keep the tension feel until that Db. Your playing was great... just pointing out for others to understand how the concept works. One other small detail to help with your technique... be careful with your at rest left hand position, your wrist, palm and most of your fingers get pretty far out of position when not playing. I know there's showmanship...and it can be part of the energy used to help create feel... but might be affecting your playing, lots of movement. Please don't take my comments wrong, I totally dig your playing... just trying to help... best Reg

Hey Reg,

Thanks for the constructive words. I totally appreciate and want the feedback.

I know I have the flailing finger syndrome (it's actually better then it used to be, believe it or not). It might stem from my years of playing rockin' blues and funk...maybe.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I dont have a lot of time this week so here is a try at this tune playing only by ear, I didn't even look at the chords so there are a few wrong notes and also the melody is probably not correct as I did this also by ear.

I really enjoy playing by ear its a whole different challenge.

Well what I hear is MM sound on the A parts and a more major sound on the bridge with a small half tone modulation on the last part

nicas.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Sgreb: Very nice groove and a good feel for the melody line. I enjoyed listening to your take on the tune. BTW, that guitar is very nice, what is the make?

Jay: As always, a good listen with a lot of good connected lines, a good groove and a good tone.

I love this thread, it seem that all of the people who participate here are dedicated guitarists, each with their own approach to the tunes we work on.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks Wiz,

The guitar I'm playing is a Hofner Jazzica Special. A great handmade German guitar.

User Info Menu

Wiz thanks,

sgreb very nice take on it I really dig those pentatonic lines they give the improv so much color

User Info Menu

Can't believe I've been too busy to sit down and play this tune. But I enjoy reading along and listening to you guys. You ALL sound great!

User Info Menu

Jayx,

Great stuff, especially considering you didn't even look at a chart!

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for posting your versions of Nica's Dream. I really enjoyed them all. It also made me realize how much work I have in front of me. But the journey is half the fun right? Looking forward to the next song. Thanks again you guys and have a great Memorial Day weekend!

User Info Menu

great posts just gonna try this Nicas Dream which is an intriguing tune..my Modus Operandi....i know a guy who does transcriptions..i see Hank Mobleys solo with Art Blakey...he charges 50 cents a sheet..50 cents to transpose the whole thing to any key....as im more of a reader musician this method suits me...rather than try and improvise with my limited skills.. address is SAXSOLOS.COM