The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I have not played this song but I really like the changes and the melody so it should be a lot of fun to learn how to play it. This time I have put together 2 BIAB backing tracks. One is a medium tempo Bill Evans' Style and the other is a medium tempo Bossanova version.

Nicas' Dream (PDF) Nicas' Dream.pdf - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Nicas' Dream Nicas' Dream.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Nicas' dream (Bossa Version) Nicas' Dream (Bossa Version).mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

have fun with this song!

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not to steal Howie's thunder as he is doing a fine job this time round.
    If you fancy something a little quicker then this is the link

The tempo is at about 190.

Cheers

Tom
    Last edited by oilywrag; 02-20-2012 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

As for guitar renditions, I'm quite partial to Kenny's version:

User Info Menu

Here is my version. I might post another in a week or so if I get a better feel for the song.

01 Track 01 3.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by Kman; 05-09-2011 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice. Another version?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kman
    Here is my version. I might post another in a week or so if I get a better feel for the song.

Very mellow, very nice.

Thanks for being so quick to post.

User Info Menu

One more noteworthy...

User Info Menu

01 Track 01 3.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
    very nice Kman. nice lines, good time, good tone and nice reference back to the melody. This is good listening, thanks for sharing with us,

wiz

User Info Menu

Great Tune ... still. very nice Kman, really had a great feel. I'll check it out again and try and come up with something to improve on, but 1st listen was very cool, thanks.
    I've been playing too many doubles... but I made quick version last night. I tried to give the tune a hard latin feel... didn't quite happen. After I recorded and listened... I can now hear where I was trying to go... I have too many other videos i want to post.... Anyway it's still OK and if anyone want's me to make a video of possible analysis etc... let me know and I'll make quick post... Best Reg

Last edited by Reg; 05-10-2011 at 11:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Could someone hip me to why... my video isn't loading, my youtube site is Reg523... Flying Brian reloaded my last vid and showed me ... sorry I still don't have...Thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Nice job Kman, I really like you minimalistic playing very melodic, thanks for posting

User Info Menu

Reg, yes please post a Nica's Dream analysis if you have time. I always enjoy those videos.

Thanks for the comments guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg

Amazing playing. I would love to hear it in higher quality without the webcam noise.

User Info Menu

REG... as always your groove is in on helluva deep pocket. Love that cha-cha feel. Smokin' solo, too.

Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Reg, As usual great job, I really dig your Latin feel

User Info Menu

Thanks for comments... The bridge was kinda.... well not quite the feel I was heard... need real drummer. Like the weak side Dom. pedal, on & of 2 and 4... but was not so hip to solo over. Anyway thanks and I'll make video either late tonight or tomorrow on possible analysis. I have triple today and tonight...
    I think I'm going to go back to my playing jazz standards thread and work on standard chord patterns, and how I comp. Start breaking down sections of tunes. Really dig into what changes(re-harms and subs) should be used with existing changes. Try and explain the difference between.... Thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Sorry all, my recorder has a minor problem but should be working again by tomorrow. If possible, I will try to post something tomorrow. I'm hearing Bb minor and Db major sounds to use on this tune but that may sound too diatonic so my ear may tell me something else to try. I would also like to experiment with the medium bossa backing track. The song has such a great melody that playing around with the melody may be the best approach for me.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hello friends,

I found the solution to my recorder problem (loose wire). This my version of Nicas' Dream, I really had a hard time with this one. the first chorus is me trying to comp and the other two choruses are me trying to improvise. Again, mostly by ear and primarily thinking about centering around Bb minor / Db major sounds. Comments are sincerely appreciated.

http://www.box.net/shared/tb5pdj6v40

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-12-2011 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Wiz, it's a hard song. I especially think the 1st and last sections are hard. Overall you seem to be rushing a little bit. I think you are feeling it at a faster tempo, so maybe you should try it faster. What you are playing seems fine, just work on that feel. Once you get in the groove a little more it will come together, but like I said it's a hard song. Good job. I like your comping ideas too.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kman, I often get the feeling I am rushing, I will try your suggestion and speed it up a bit. I'm going to work on a Bossa version for next week, gotta wait unti Sunday afternoon because have a busy gig schedule untill Sunday. I love this thread, it is a great learning process.

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 05-13-2011 at 03:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Wiz, it's a hard song. I especially think the 1st and last sections are hard. Overall you seem to be rushing a little bit. I think you are feeling it at a faster tempo, so maybe you should try it faster. What you are playing seems fine, just work on that feel. Once you get in the groove a little more it will come together, but like I said it's a hard song. Good job. I like your comping ideas too.
    Why is it a hard song? I am a beginner so this is a genuine question. I liked your version of it btw.

Des

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz
    Why is it a hard song? I am a beginner so this is a genuine question. I liked your version of it btw.

Des

For me it's hard playing over the minor/major7 chords. I don't play anything good over those sections. I don't encounter it very much in other tunes so I am not used to it. Of course Paul seems to have no trouble with it, so maybe it's just me.
    Last edited by Kman; 05-13-2011 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Wiz good effort did you play this tune only by ear?
    Paul that was fantastic! enjoyed listening

User Info Menu

Thanks Jay, yes mostly by ear but did analyze it a bit before trying to learn to play it. For some reason, this one was difficult for me. I really liked the melody and the changes are great to play on.

wiz

User Info Menu

Anyone care to share their analysis on this song?

wiz