The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 115

User Info Menu

Hey Dirk,
    just wanted to let you know how much i enjoyed your first lesson on arpeggio's. I have been playing a long time, and its amazing how you can overlook the basics.

Quite often i find myself trying to run before i can even crawl let alone walk. Often i am trying to weave some complicated line through a ii v when i cant even fluentley play the basic arpeggio shapes. So thanks again and i look forward to the next lesson.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dirk - thanks for this. I knew all of these and practise (and teach) them regularly. It hadn't occured to me to use the 2 notes per string versions. I find this very useful - or will when I memorize them.

User Info Menu

Very Nice Job Dirk! My students will eat this up. BTW, thanks for the great site, there is no better jazz guitar site on the internet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    there is no better jazz guitar site on the internet!
    Amen.

I have to say, this helped me alot. It didnt occur to me for some reason, that you can play arpeggios in like 5 different positions. I always played in the position where the chord was. This will definitely help to expand my playing creativity.

But I have a request. Could you put all the notes of the arpeggio together in one diagram so it makes it easier to learn all of the notes them at once? I could learn the 2 seperate diagrams, but it would make it more convenient in one. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by aPAULo; 05-06-2007 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

i,m just wondering wether it is best practice to allways start a g major arpegio on the root note or is it best to practice the shapes in the diagrams starting on the lowest note b or f# for example.

User Info Menu

When you are first learning an arpeggio shape its best to start from the lowest note of the arpeggio in that position. This wont always be the root, depends which position you are in. Once familuar with the shape the next step is to create all different permutations of the notes via various melodic patterns. I'm sure that this will be coming up in a future tutorial. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

dirk good afternoon from east Boston MA. 5:20pm tues fingering works a,o,k , Thanks

User Info Menu

Hiya Dirk,

Thanks for the awesome lesson!
    I'll be sure to memorize those arpeggio's to expand my vocabulary!

User Info Menu

Hey Dirk,

Could you put up 9th arpeggios up too?

User Info Menu

Dirk that d7 chord appregios helps me out a lot , I'll even add the A,C,on the 6th and fifth strings,can I do this in the tenth position also any help from you or other members would be helpful, Thanks Aaron J. Halpern

User Info Menu

arpeggios are something i neglect i think of scales a lot more but im blending them in slowly and these lessons help me organise the idea in my head thanks

User Info Menu

Hi,
    What is the difference between arpeggios and pentatonics?
    What can one use each for?
    Thanks
    Jeff

User Info Menu

Hi Jeff,

Arpeggios are broken chords, where the notes of a chord are played in succession.

More here: Jazz Guitar Arpeggios - The Best Beginner's Guide | Jazz Guitar Online

Arpeggios are used to improvise a solo. They are a very good starting point because they reflect the harmony of a chord progression. Players like Django Reinhardt use a lot of arpeggios in their solos.

The pentatonic scale is a 5-note scale that you can use to improvise. It is used a lot in blues, rock, funk and also in jazz (but less). Kenny Burrell uses pentatonic scales a lot.

More about the pentatonic scale here: The Pentatonic Scale For Jazz Guitar

- Dirk

User Info Menu

Hi Dirk,
    Good examples.
    Would you have anything similar to the videos that you did, Stella By Starlight or There Will Be another You, that would show arpeggios and/or pentatonics being used?
    Maybe one of those does?
    Thanks
    Jeff

User Info Menu

That's a good idea Jeff. I have a lot in the pipeline for 2008. We just moved to a new house and office, so not a lot of time at the moment, but once we are settled here, I'll be back!

User Info Menu

I would like to have a question answered for me ? The question is in the key of (A) their are three sharps F#,C# and G# could these three chords be the the C#min7, the F#min7,and the G#min7b5.

User Info Menu

That's correct, Aaron.

- Dirk

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Trying to pick out whether a lick is an arpeggio or not
    I was trying to figure out Chris Standrings song, "Through The Looking Glass" on his Soul Express CD. Chris was kind enough to inform me that the song is in the key of Fm. So could his melody line in there be a minor arpeggio?
    Thanks
    Jeff

User Info Menu

Jeff, Chris Standring's theme is a combination of the Abmaj and Dbmaj arpeggio.

User Info Menu

I'm a new member and this site and the arpeggion lesson are great. After reading a number of the threads and posts (butch,derek, Mr. beaumont) I'm shifting my study strategy from scales and positions to arpeggios and chord tones. I'm learning the dom. 7ths in all the keys right now. I study them in the cycle of 5ths order clockwise.
    Seems like it would make sense to learn the arps in the 2-5-1 progressions as they're so prevalent in jazz and there's a minor7th, dom 7th and maj 7th in each one. I wrote out the arps for 2-5-1 in C and noticed that the 1st and 3rd of Dmi7 become the 5th and 7th of G7 (D&F notes) and the same relationship happens between th 5 & 1 chords. Lot
    If anyone else has used this approach successfully (arps and 2-5-1's) I'd like to hear about it.
    Great site..so much stuff...
    Thanks

Chordon Bleu Guest

Heres some arrpegios.

User Info Menu

Thanks Chordon Beu I will check these out...

Gustaff Guest
    first, thanks a lot that you exist, Dirk

I have mailed you, but you didn't notice it or smth... there's one note missing in half-diminished chord arpeggio's last position starting on A. F note on 5th string is missing, please add it

Gustaff Guest
    if I'm mistaken then tell me that I'm mistaken...

User Info Menu

Thanks for letting me know Gustaff. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I can't keep up with my mail.