The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

Since Tom (Oilyrag) will not be here for a short time and in anticipation of Wine & Roses winning 1st place in our vote, I have put together a jazz arrangement to get started with for "Days Of Wine & Roses". Just for fun, pretend you have an opportunity to play with a Bill Evans type of trio and go for it. This is a BIAB jazz style with real tracks and real drums based on a Bill Evans trio sound. Th real drummer is actually Terry Clark. I must apologize for a bit of background noise, my recording equipment is not great. Please let me know if it works ok for you.

Days Of Wine & Roses.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Days Of Wine & Roses.pdf - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

enjoy ( hope)
    wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 04-17-2011 at 09:14 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In this version, with Toots Thielemans, they change keys for the second half. The first 16 are in F, the 2nd 16 in Ab.
    Last edited by kenbennett; 04-20-2011 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Speaking of keys... Of all the tunes we've done, I've come across more versions in more different keys than any of them. It's probably because there are so many vocal versions.

So I entered the melody, lyrics, and chords into Finale. If anybody wants a version in another key, I can transpose it and print off a pdf. Just let me know.

Here's a good vocal version in a ballad style in our key of F... Andy Williams sings.

There are some good female vocal versions and one of Tony Bennett with Bill Evans. I think the meaning of the lyrics and vocal expression of the melody will put you in the right mood to do a chord melody at a ballad tempo.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Love that tony bennett/ bill evans version.

I just posted this one--a solo arrangement. Maybe I'll do a recording to one of these backing tracks ans "talk my way through it."

It's a great tune.

User Info Menu

Lenny playing it. One mic, in a cabin, a honda generator to provide electricity for the recorder, no prep!

Dang!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb

Lenny playing it. One mic, in a cabin, a honda generator to provide electricity for the recorder, no prep!

Dang!!!

Seems like I dislike this record, may be because of my past classical guitar education, but thats really dirty for the nylon stringed guitar...Thats the point, where idea is higher than the technique...Just my point of view))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    Bill Evans...

In this version, with Toots Thielemans, they change keys for the second half. The first 16 are in F, the 2nd 16 in Ab.
    Bill talks about that "trick" in his Piano Jazz interview with Marian McPartland - a very rewarding listen imo

User Info Menu

going up a Minor third is pretty common for cats who came up in the 70's on tunes that are ABAC type tunes. Days of Wine is probably the most common tune that way. The other is up or down a Whole Step. I recall on many gigs with a Trombone player where if you called a tune like Emily or Days of Wine that he'd say "Okay, Emily in C and Eflat" and that's how it was and he didn't care if you didn't know the tune in Eflat hehe. Of course it's not horribly difficult to transpose on the fly.

Other examples like that are playing "On Green Dolphin Street", "Night and Day"(alternating choruses) in C to Eflat. "It Could Happen to You" in F to Eflat. It spices things up easily and for capable Players requires no rehearsal.

Days of Wine depending on where you are is by default in two keys. It's something you have to ask when someone calls that tune. Sort of like "Well You Needn't" or "Round Midnight" (which bridge?) or "In Your Own Sweet Way" (vamp or no vamp, what vamp?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swinger
    Seems like I dislike this record, may be because of my past classical guitar education, but thats really dirty for the nylon stringed guitar...Thats the point, where idea is higher than the tehnique...Just my point of view))
    I have never in my life heard anyone state that Lenny Breau was lacking in technique. He is the epitome of amalgamating jazz with classical, flamenco and country (and those harmonics!!). To my ears he is the closest thing we have to a "Keith Jarrett of the guitar" (if any such thing is even possible)

Once again... in a cabin, no prep, purely improvised. Polished?...no. But wow!!

More perspective...

"Breau had continual drug problems from the mid 1960s, which he only managed to get under control during the last years of his life."

"This undated studio session came about after a friend, Glen McDonald, bailed Breau out of jail and isolated him in his remote cabin -- which lacked electricity, heat, running water, or plumbing -- in an effort to straighten him out. So how was this session recorded? Breau, who plays acoustic guitar (a loaner) throughout this CD, was taped because a generator was available to power the tape machine and two microphones"
    Last edited by sgreb; 04-22-2011 at 12:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Here is a quick take, with a few misses, on this tune, playing on a classical guitar. This one is also played entirely by ear using the melody as a guide.
    what I hear is that the main key is F and there is a place where it shift to Ab and then back to F and at the end a very short shift to F#.

on the last improv chorus I forgot the shift to F#

dowar.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Jay, I'm hoping to be able to submit something tomorrow, I'm getting ready for my Sat night jazz gig and don't have much time do much with wine & roses until tomorrow. It will most likely be another "play it be ear" approach for me.

wiz

User Info Menu

This link is for my version "Days Of Wine & Roses" improv on the backing track from BIAB with the Bill Evans trio style. Days Of Wine & Roses Improv.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage I'm not real pleased with this submittal, I think i should have spent more time working on the changes and perhaps used fewer notes (less is more) on the improv. As before, the first chorus is me trying to play the changes and the other 3 choruses are me trying to improvise. I truly value any critique, Positive, negative any of you might have to help me improve my approach. I intentionally tried used a lot of arpeggios in different positions on the neck on this one. As usual, using my ear is is the main approach to improv.

wiz

Days Of Wine & Roses Improv.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Hey Howard,thanks for posting,I feel as though there were times you where thinking about the changes, as against just playing them. As you say perhaps a little more time..I also found times in the improv you had a really nice motiff type phrase going and then you let it go and went on to a new idea.Nothing wrong with that its just my ear expected the motiff to go on over a couple bars..At the end of the day its not the showcase thread Howard, its about a group of mates getting together and working through and learning some new tunes and new ideas for old tunes..Like I've said in previous tune threads you have good ears for improv and they always stand you in good stead.Overall congrats for taking the time to get it all together and the final product was a good listen.

Cheers,

Tom

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom, I have had that same thought about the motifs myself, I work on that. The next time we are voting on a new tune, I would like to suggest "When Sunny Gets Blue" or "You Go To My head as possible choices for the vote.

User Info Menu

Howie: You have so many good melodic ideas in your improv I think the only thing that was lacking in this recording is confidence.

sgreb: that was the most bluesiest version of this tune I have heard, nice interpretation on this :-)

User Info Menu

Hey sgreb, I agree with your self critique except to add... I love that bluesy guitar solo... it definately put a smile on my face.

I'd love to analyze that but these days I can't have my guitar and internet at the same time. What I'm interested in is, where can you through in a bluesy line and what is the chord/scale relationship.

In other words is it mostly F blues or is it a variety of blues scales depending on the underlying chord.

I'm really drawn to that type of bluesy playing to me that's what it's all about.

User Info Menu

Haha,Hi Steve,nice one, that put a smile on my face,like Fep I'm curious about just what you got up to during the solo.Thanks for posting.It's all about how you hear the tune.

Cheers,

Tom

User Info Menu

Very entertaining and instructive. Wiz in a traditional way. Steve coming from a place where a lot of good guitar players are currently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hey sgreb, I agree with your self critique except to add... I love that bluesy guitar solo... it definately put a smile on my face.

I'd love to analyze that but these days I can't have my guitar and internet at the same time. What I'm interested in is, where can you through in a bluesy line and what is the chord/scale relationship.

In other words is it mostly F blues or is it a variety of blues scales depending on the underlying chord.

I'm really drawn to that type of bluesy playing to me that's what it's all about.

Thanks Fep and Oilly,

Well... I started out as a blues player and much of what I play seems to be steeped in the blues.

I find I learn the most about my playing when people ask what I'm doing, as I really don't totally know most of the time. So here goes....

Seems on this tune, to acheive that blues thang, I'm alternating back and forth from the major and minor third in F ( A and Ab respectively). The Ab can act as a passing note or alternativley as a way of suggesting a bluesy sound. I also utilize the b5 (B) a lot in the same key of F.

When the Eb7 at bar 7 comes around, I think I played Ab major/blues ideas or stayed in F and leaned hard on the b5 stuff.

Lots of blues licks and a percussive attack from listening to BB King, Albert King etc helps to get this sound across, too.

By doing all of this along with following the changes (using corresponding scales and arpeggios), a nice juxtaposition of jazz and blues is achieved (jazzy blues, you could say... or bluesy jazz). In other words going back and forth between the blues stuff and the changes. This is where the ear becomes very important, i guess.

I stayed away from playing straight pentatonics on this song as they sounded a bit amateurish. On other tunes they work great!

I have to say though that the main thing is how one hears/feels things. I have studied all kinds of theory etc, but I always seem to end up either in the blues , diatonic prettiness, or flat out dissonance, depending on how I feel in that moment. That's just how I hear.

I hope this answers your question, at least a bit.

I must say that I am pleasantly suprised at your interest in my approach, as I often think I'm hacking these songs up pretty bad. Thanks for the back pat. And I'm especially glad that I could put a smile on your face!
    Last edited by sgreb; 04-27-2011 at 12:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey gang... great playin all... 1st thread I checked out. I was doing some road time... I'll check out again latter and try and post something... have gigs to get together... Reg

User Info Menu

Ok so I'm back and will try and post lots of videos and give as info as i can. here's a version of Days of Wine and Roses, Just played through, nothing worked out, about as cold as I get. Used melody, changes and blue notes to pull from for improve. Thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Ok so I'm back and will try and post lots of videos and give as info as i can. here's a version of Days of Wine and Roses, Just played through, nothing worked out, about as cold as I get. Used melody, changes and blue notes to pull from for improve. Thanks Reg
    Sweet groove! Great aggressive blues attack, too! Thanks for sharing this cool rendition, Reg.

User Info Menu

another good one Reg. IMHO, this one is a "feelin' good" heavy duty bluesey approach with a very strong groove. As you know, I really like the good "feel" you get with all of your tunes. Thanks for sharing.

wiz

User Info Menu

Very groovy Reg, I love your octave work, thanks for sharing