The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

The Major Mode is one of the most commonly used mode in Jazz and in music as a whole.
    A Mode is a set of scales based off of another scale. The 4 most common modes are the Major mode, Pentatonic mode, Melodic Minor Mode, and the Harmonic Minor Mode.

If you dont already know some basic music theory go check out my first thread to learn the basics. Now you should already know the Major scale. Now, the Major mode is based off of the Major scale. Hence the name, there are 7 scales within the Major mode, as well as a chord scale. A chord scale is a set of chords that fit with a mode. We will discuss this later.

Now onto the lesson!

First we have to find the First or I scale of the Mode. In our case this would be the Major Scale. Now knowing your basic music theory, learned from the first lesson. This is built as W-W-H-W-W-W-H. Lets use the key of C as we did before since it contains no sharps or flats. So the Major/Ionian scale in C would be C-D-E-F-G-A-B. Also written as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.

To find the next scale within the mode we have to go up the next note in the scale. For this well have to write the scale in 2 octaves. Lets do this now. C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B. So if we go up the next note in the scale itd be D-E-F-G-A-B-C. This is known as the Dorian scale. Written as 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7 in number form, it can also be written as 2-3-4-5-6-7-1-2, and as W-H-W-W-W-H-W-W in Wholes and half steps. Although we can write it as 2-3-4-5-6-7-1-2 its alot easier to just flatten the 3rd and 7th of a Ionian scale than to play a 2 octave Ionian and find the 2nd note of it every time you want to play a Dorian.

Now... the Dorian scale is the II scale in the Major Mode. If you look at it youll see it contains all the same notes as the C Major/Ionian scale (From this point on were just going to refer to the Major scale as the Ionian scale). Since the D Dorian contains all the same notes as the C Ionian that means we can play a D Dorian anytime we want to play the C Ionian, and vice versa. So what have we learned so far?

First scale in the Major mode is the Ionian.

I.) Ionian 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 W-W-H-W-W-W-H

Second scale in the Major mode is the Dorian.

II.) Dorian 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7 W-H-W-W-W-H-W. In number form it can also be written as 2-3-4-5-6-7-1-2 as stated before.
    Wow! That was a whole lot easier than you thought now wasn't it? Lets keep doing this until we find all the scales.

The next scale in the Major Mode is the Phyrgian, lets do what we did before to find the Dorian scale. C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. Since weve already found the 2nd scale and know that it started on the 2nd note of the Ionian scale that means we have to move onto the 3rd note. Lets do this now, the 3rd note of the Ionian scale in the key of C would be E. So lets go up the scale until we find the next E. E-F-G-A-B-C-D. So that would be written as 3-4-5-6-7-1-2 in number form. Or you could just say 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7. So if you took an Ionian scale and flattened the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th note you would get a Phyrgian scale! Written as H-W-W-W-H-W-W, you should be noticing a pattern now. As you can see it contains all of the same notes as a C Ionian and a D Dorian if were in the key of C. So anytime you want to play an E Phyrgian you can play a D Dorian or a C Ionian!

Lets look at the scales we know so far.

I.) Ionian. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. W-W-H-W-W-W-H

II.) Dorian 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7. W-H-W-W-W-H-W

III.) Phyrgian 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7. H-W-W-W-H-W-W

Wow! Alright, now you should be catching onto how to find the next scale in the mode.
    Go to the next note in the scale, from that note go up till you find the next note in the octave. And then find which notes to flatten or sharpen based from the Ionian scale, as well as finding the Whole and half steps to build the scale. So the fourth note would be F. Going up till you find the next note and octave up. F-G-A-B-C-D-E, and then finding which notes to flatten or sharpen based from the Ionian scale. 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7. In W and H steps this would be W-W-W-H-W-W-H. This would be the 4th scale in the Major Mode. It is called the Lydian scale. You should be catching onto how to build these, and that it contains the same notes as the C Ionian, D Dorian, and E Phyrgian. So what have we learned so far?

I.) Ionian 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 W-W-H-W-W-W-H

II.) Dorian 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7 W-H-W-W-W-H-W

III.) Phyrgian 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 H-W-W-W-H-W-W

IV.) Lydian 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7 W-W-W-H-W-W-H

Now lets go on to the 5th scale in the Major mode. Starting on the 5th note of the scale it would be G-A-B-C-D-E-F. The numbers would be 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7. The whole and half steps would be W-W-H-W-W-H-W. This is known as the Mixolydian scale.

Lets just keep moving on till we keep find the rest of the scales. The 6th note of the Ionian scale in the key of C is A, A-B-C-D-E-F-G. The number pattern would be 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7. The W and H step pattern would be W-H-W-W-H-W-W. This is known as the Aeolian scale, it is also known as the Minor scale.

Now the last note in the scale before we get back to C would be B. So that means that we have found all the scales in this mode. So B-C-D-E-F-G-A, the number pattern would be 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7, the W and H pattern would be H-W-W-H-W-W-W. This scale is known as the Locrian scale.

Congrats! Youve just found all the scales in the Major Mode! That wasnt so hard now was it? So what have we learned, lets write the Major Mode in the key of C since thats how we learned it.

I.) C Ionian/Major 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 W-W-H-W-W-W-H

II). D Dorian 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7 W-H-W-W-W-H-W

III.) E Phyrgian 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 H-W-W-W-H-W-W

IV.) F Lydian 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7 W-W-W-H-W-W-H

V.) G Mixolydian 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7 W-W-H-W-W-H-W

VI.) A Aeolian/Minor 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 W-H-W-W-H-W-W

VII.) B Locrian 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7 H-W-W-H-W-W-W

So anytime you play a C Ionian you can play a D Dorian, E Phyrgian, so on and so fourth.

I was going to explain the chord scale, but this should be enough to keep you busy and it was already and awefully long lesson. So Ill write another lesson sometime this week or next week about it.

If you have any questions or need me to explain something just post below! Thanks! (:

-cravingmusic-

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice easy to understand clear explanation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cravingmusic
    A Mode is a set of scales based off of another scale. The 4 most common modes are the Major mode, Pentatonic mode, Melodic Minor Mode, and the Harmonic Minor Mode.
    I think you're going to get some major (pun intended) disagreement on your definition of "mode."

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I think you're going to get some major (pun intended) disagreement on your definition of "mode."
    It's an obvious trawl, no?

User Info Menu

This is why beginners get confused. Accurate concept, but questionable terminology.

User Info Menu

I have a Question regarding triads. What name do you give a major triad with a lowered 5th? Example: C E Gb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    I have a Question regarding triads. What name do you give a major triad with a lowered 5th? Example: C E Gb
    C Flat 5

User Info Menu

Ignorance is not a fault, but feigning knowledge is a sin. So why does this ignorant arsehole feel entitled to offer lessons on things he doesn't understand and why is everyone being so tolerant towards him?

I agree with this post from cravinmusic
    This is the way I learned it

I'm not a proponent of the use of the term 'mode', per se

I think it should say scales instead of modes

A Mode is a set of scales based off of another scale. The 4 most common scales are the Major scales, Pentatonic scales, Melodic Minor scales, and the Harmonic Minor scales.

IMHO
    Last edited by stratcat33511; 04-13-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added IMHO

Please no one be tolerant towards me. If I make a mistake call me out, I'm here to learn and help others out with my knowledge.
    Funny thing is, I actually learned that definition of modes from my music teacher. Thank you for correcting me. I'm just trying to help out other people getting into the genre.
    Last edited by cravingmusic; 04-13-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss
    Ignorance is not a fault, but feigning knowledge is a sin. So why does this ignorant arsehole feel entitled to offer lessons on things he doesn't understand and why is everyone being so tolerant towards him?
    John... thanks. Im 14, completely self taught, worked my ass off to learn all of this. I was just trying to help others out and put all the information in one place just like I wanted when I first started. Calling me an ignorant arsehole (Its spelled asshole buddy...) is totally a way to make me wanna keep playing jazz.

Now aside from your ignorance towards others who dont know nearly as much as you, is there anything else you see wrong with my lesson?

User Info Menu

cravingmusic, good for you, keep it up, you're doing very well, and as I said above very well stated, and thought out.'

don't worry about the rude people here, just ignore them, and learn things from the others. There are quite a few people that are helpful.

you're smart, and you'll figure out who is who pretty quickly.

Thanks for the encouragement
    Again if you see anything wrong with my lesson please let me know, I'd rather get cussed out and learn what's wrong than just have someone pass it up.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement
    Again if you see anything wrong with my lesson please let me know, I'd rather get cussed out and learn what's wrong than just have someone pass it up.
    I did in a couple of pm's, one you didn't answer, as for spelling it depends where in the world you live.You seem to forget that one minute you are asking basic ????'s then you are posting leesons

Tom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    I did in a couple of pm's, one you didn't answer, as for spelling it depends where in the world you live.You seem to forget that one minute you are asking basic ????'s then you are posting leesons

Tom

the guy is fourteen.

User Info Menu

Man, you're doing well to have a handle on this stuff at 14. You DO know this stuff, and all your theory is sound. I agree with Cosmic re: terminology - not your fault if that's how it was explained to you.

I like your teaching style.

I was about 15 when a teacher first gave me a modal lesson and he didn't exlpain it amazingly well - I ended up with a feeling of it being much more powerful theory than, in fact, it is. Ultimately I found myself in a bit of a 'castle made of sand' when some of my 'theory' foundation fell out from under me.

I think from your post you understand this concept well, possibly in spite of your teacher. Being able to communicate a slightly clearer and more concise explanation might be helpful in preventing you from having a similar experience to mine.

And ultimately you should get used to this stuff on the instrument over a long period of time. It helps to give you a tangible connection to the theory, and using it to make music is the reason we bother to learn it (althought I just like theory).
    Last edited by Sharks; 04-15-2011 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Mark he never said he was 14,when he first posted plus I PM'd him before any one else had posted.If some one PM's me I will always reply.Then again thats just me.Unlike some people on this forum I won't correct some one in public,a simple pm is far better.He could have edited his first post and no one would have been any the wiser..

Cheers

Tom

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    This lesson gets a F . Go back and redo all you homework, no milk and cookies for you tonight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    This lesson gets a F . Go back and redo all you homework, no milk and cookies for you tonight.
    and it's wrong where?

the whole "modal" thing is overblown. cause, probably Miles said once, he was playing "modal" jazz. to make a pun..... so what.

In my standard, widely used "elementary rudiments of music" textbook, this subject occupies a whole two pages, out of two hundred.

again, he's wrong where?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    Mark he never said he was 14,when he first posted plus I PM'd him before any one else had posted.If some one PM's me I will always reply.Then again thats just me.Unlike some people on this forum I won't correct some one in public,a simple pm is far better.He could have edited his first post and no one would have been any the wiser..

Cheers

Tom
    yeah, sorry, I just think people overreact a little sometimes, I guess I did here.

Yes I do ask rather basic questions but thats compared to your foundation of knowledge... I learn new things every week and usually everything just sorta keeps clicking for me. When I dont understand something I sit down with pen, paper, and my guitar for a few hours and see if I dont get it. If not its right back onto here, most of the questions I ask get answered within a few hours either from posts or from me just learning. Sorry about the mess up on modes again...
    But please, quit with the hate, if you see something wrong then correct me. If your gonna bash on me at least lemme learn from it.

User Info Menu

John... thanks. Im 14, completely self taught, worked my ass off to learn all of this. I was just trying to help others out and put all the information in one place just like I wanted when I first started. Calling me an ignorant arsehole (Its spelled asshole buddy...) is totally a way to make me wanna keep playing jazz.

Now aside from your ignorance towards others who dont know nearly as much as you, is there anything else you see wrong with my lesson?
    Where to start? Of course I wouldn't have come down heavy on you if I had know you were so young, so congratulations for being able to write like an adult. And congratulations also for having being only slightly off the mark with your synthesis of how modes are built, though I don't understand how you can have got this from your music teacher and be completely self-taught at the same time, I suppose you young people nowadays are more versatile than we used to be.

I absolutely (totally) don't want to put you off playing jazz, but if I can persuade you not to try to give lessons to people you shouldn't be giving lessons to, I think I will have done you a favour in life.

The 'arsehole' spelling is British. Again, I would not have been so basic if I had known how tender your age was.

What's wrong with your lesson? You've been told already, and as far as the rest of your last sentence goes, I'll accept it as a reprimand - we adults make mistakes as well.

User Info Menu

Hey, CM. Glad a youngster is hitting jazz and looking into a future of teaching. I started teaching at 17 or so; just after I could handle barre chords. My lessons got better as I learned myself. You'll learn a TON from teaching. I learn stuff everyday still (and have had to revise my book several times in the last 6 months due to slightly misused terms, etc). Jazz vernacular vs. classical terminology is a tough crazy mess.

Hang with the dudes here, and soak it up. I call this forum site the "shark-tank" because it can be a little intimidating if not worse at times.

User Info Menu

Best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else.

Don't let Baltar phase ya, he'll grow on you, I guarantee.

User Info Menu

...please, quit with the hate...
    Good afternoon, cravingmusic...
    Firstly, congratulations on a clear explanation; nicely paced, nicely phrased. Personally I'm not especially 'purist', so modes, schmodes, whatever, the essentials are there. Others will rectify, that's not a bad thing either.
    Please do not take remarks made here as 'hate'; most of the more aggressive tones are really just strong feelings on the subject, or a particular type of humour. Very seldom is any real personal insult intended. Don't absorb the words used , but rather the underlying sense; that's my advice. You're doing fine; it only takes another forty years or so to get that 'respect', so keep right on..!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ...Don't let Baltar phase ya, he'll grow on you...
    Hummm... Now there I'm not so sure... Gumbo, perhaps, but Baltar..?