The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

This time round the tune is going to be " Ceora ".

If anyone wants ideas for a solo then let me know by pm and I will sort
    it out..

Enjoy

Tom
    Last edited by oilywrag; 02-20-2012 at 03:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Got the materials. Thanks Tom.

User Info Menu

Thanks Tom, I have always wanted to study and learn more about this tune. It is one of my favorite bossanovas.

wiz

User Info Menu

10x Tom I love that tune

User Info Menu

I'm in! Don't really know the tune but what the heck!

User Info Menu

Joey DeFrancesco's take w/ JAKE LANGLEY on guitar... a great Toronto based guitarist

User Info Menu

Hmm, George's interpretation of the head (on the Joey vid') was bumming me out!

User Info Menu

Yea... not very good feel anywhere... and approach to soloing was sort of a mix and match of approaches...didn't really hold together very well... but still very nice and thanks for posting... now I'll have to cover my remarks or back up what I say with my playing... oops... Might take more than just playing through... Reg

User Info Menu

This is the Ceora link to Lee Morgan, herbie hancock, etc.... on utube.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    How so? I kind of enjoyed his rhythmic displacement of the melody. Not how i would do it, but still he gives us an individual interpretation of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    approach to soloing was sort of a mix and match of approaches...
    What were your thoughts on Langley's guitar solo? (it starts around 5:30)

In general, I am having a hard time finding versions of this tune to compare and contrast. Is it somewhat under-recorded or am I looking in the wrong places?

User Info Menu

Just checked eMusic and Ceora is very well represented. I will be checking out several versions

User Info Menu

hey Sgreb.... sounds like a great player... And it's not really fair to take one tune with out having some history of his playing... but on this tune only....he probable could have done better... Ceora has a very strong harmonic rhythm... very simple but when you get away from it, needs to be set up...But still I enjoyed his playing... I'll try and get a video out quick...to show a different approach. Reg

User Info Menu

thanks Tom!
    I am just using this as an excuse to learn each tunes and watch you guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgreb
    Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    How so? I kind of enjoyed his rhythmic displacement of the melody. Not how i would do it, but still he gives us an individual interpretation of his own.
    Yes, most of it was "his rhythmic displacement of the melody." It's highly subjective, granted, but what he was doing to it was not beautiful, to me. And, it's not that I mind rhythmic displacement, either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz
    I am just using this as an excuse to learn each tunes and watch you guys.
    Pretty much sums it up for me... Posting a recording of my playing would be... ...proof that I need better planned practice sessions.

OTOH, Ceora has already helped me solidify and improve my fingerboard knowledge.

Michael

User Info Menu

I thought it was really pretty damned good.

User Info Menu

Nice solo, very nice lines.

wiz

User Info Menu

This link is a first cut of me trying to comp for Ceora. It is pretty rough. The backing track is BIAB realtracks, bass & drums only. It has a 4 bar Intro and an ending with 4 choruses in between. I slowed it down a bit to learn the tune. I will have a go at the single-line improv. in a couple of days. I have always had some difficulty with this great tune and am looking forward to hearing and seeing how others will approach it.

BIAB Files - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

wiz
    Last edited by wizard3739; 03-28-2011 at 04:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice go at it wiz. It is a challenging tune. I'm not as brave to post something so quick, but you're right out of the gate! Nice feel and good rhythmic approach utilizing bossa finger-style chording

One constructive criticism... your chord voicings sound quite nice but sometimes your time wavers and you drag behind the beat a bit ... just something my ears were hearing. Might want to slow it down a bit more until you have it nailed... that's what I do.

I will be posting once I am more secure with the head and chord movement.

Thanks for the post!

sgreb

User Info Menu

thanks sgreb, I think I may still be a bit intimidated by the song. I will do as you suggest and slow it down a bit more for a while.

wiz

User Info Menu

I liked his solo it has nice ideas and flows well over the tune although I'm not sure how well it reflected the actual changes but it was melodic and I like a melodic improv.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    thanks sgreb, I think I may still be a bit intimidated by the song.
    wiz
    Hey wiz, you certainly deserve the kudos for always being out of the gate early and sharing your ideas. I'm with sgreb, nice work, the voicings sound good and with you likely getting more self-assured with playing the tune as you go this will sound great.
    I'm clearly not as brave as you are as I'm still stuck on "joy Spring". I thought that I could post something by Sunday night and clearly missed that milestone and during the week my time is mostly owned by corporate America. At least I'm following everyone's efforts here as I find this thread to be very inspiring.
    All the Best!

User Info Menu

Thanks Frogeye, I totally understand your thoughts with Corporate America. I was there for almost 50 years. Now I am retired and totally enjoying the music. This is my favorite thread because it allows me to continue learning about jazz and jazz guitar. I really value the comments and the approach other players take on these songs.

wiz

User Info Menu

Hey Wiz good job.I really liked the voicings as well, I think once you have it in your fingers it will sound very good .Thanks for being the first to post.

Cheers

Tom

User Info Menu

Wiz,

Will (my 1 yr old) and I enjoyed listening to you play while we had lunch!

Best,
    Michael