The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 104

User Info Menu

For those of you who were asking about it, the lesson on minor blues scales is now up, check it out!

MW

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been reading the minor blues lessons, and have a small problem. I almost always understand everything in terms of the harmonized major scale - so of course when something based on the harmonized minor scale comes along I can't really make sense of it. Can someone tell me how the harmonized minor scale works? In otherwords, I know the ii chord is always a m7 when working with the major scale - how does this concept translate to the minor scale? Thank you kindly for the input.

User Info Menu

Here's the harmonized melodic minor scale, the most common minor scale used in jazz.

imMaj7

II7susb9

IIImaj7#5

IV7#11

V7b13

vim7b5(natural 9)

VII7alt(b9,#9,b5,#5)

BUT when we play a minor key 2-5-1 we use these chords.

iim7b5-V7alt-im7(or imMaj7)

hope that helps!

MW

User Info Menu

Thanks Matt, that's just what I needed!

User Info Menu

I've heard Joe Pass say in various places that he doesn't think about the IIm chord in II-V progressions, although he covers the different minor scales in detail in his method books. Is that the type of thinking you are using when playing V altered scales over the IIm7b5?

For example, for minor blues measures 9-10, over the Dm7b5 G7alt, the G altered (Ab melodic minor) scale is recommended. Analyzing this over the Dm7b5, you get the 11, b5, b13, 13, natural 7, b9 and b3. How is this rationalized, or am I being too rational? It can sound good, but why does this work, especially the Db note.

For Gm7b5 in measure 4, do you ever recommend using G locrian (Ab major) or G locrian natural 9 (Bb melodic minor) which keeps the A note.

Or for Dm7b5 in measure 9, do you ever recommend D locrian (Eb major)? Proably wouldn't tend to think D locrian natural 9 (F melodic minor) here since that would give you the non-key E natural note.

Or do you ever just think Ab major for Gm7b5 C7alt and Eb major for Dm7b5 G7alt and catch the chord tones in the 7 chords if desired?

User Info Menu

Good questions!

For the ii-V in bars 9-10 I am "ignoring" the ii chord and focusing on the V7alt chord. A lot of players do this, but a lot don't. I used that approach in this lesson to get the idea of the altered scale out there without complicating things too much right away. The next step would be to add the iim7b5 scale, and in this case I would stick with D Locrian as it has the Eb in it, which is related to the tonic key of C minor.

For the Gm7b5 in meaure, again in this case I "ignored" it and focused on the C7alt chord when choosing a scale for blowing, but if I were to play over it I would use G Locrian because it contains the Ab note which relates it closely to the key of F minor, where it resolves in the next bar.

I don't really think of Ab major over C7alt and Eb major over G7alt. I know some people do this, it's the opposite of what I did because it "ignores" the V7alt chord in favor of the iim7b5 chord. But I wouldn't recommend this because the sound of V7alt to im7 is so strong that if we are going to leave out one of the chords it should be the ii not the V. That way you still get a strong tension-release sound between V and i.

MW

User Info Menu

I for one encourage you to bring on the complexity! I look forward to hearing your thinking on how to solo over all the examples from minor blues lesson one. This is turning into one of the best writeups I've seen on minor blues. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Well for the more complex changes from the first lesson I would tend to rely more on patterns/licks, especially at a fast tempo.

When it gets into the cycle type stuff I would rely on Trane patterns like 87b78, 87b79, 3#123, 6#456, 1353, 5313 etc.

They allow you to outline the chords, plus you're not thinking about big bulky scales when you're trying to play 2 chords per bar at a quick tempo.
    MW

User Info Menu

Wow! Another home run for Matt! Nice job on the scales for minor blues improvisation!

User Info Menu

Glad you dig the lesson, I hope it's helpful.

MW

User Info Menu

Matt is it crazy to think of Fdorian as just "notes" of Eb major. It's easier for me, I dont know why... and it seems more realted (Eb) to Cm than Fdorian

Sailor

User Info Menu

It's not crazy. The only reason I think of it as F Dorian is because it is being played over Fm7. It's easier for me to relate to the chord if I think of the scale starting on that note. But whatever works for you is fine, there are many ways to think about these things. All that matters is the music that comes out and however you have to think about it to get that music out works.

MW

User Info Menu

Sometimes it's also easier for me to think Dorian up a minor third on the m7b5 chords. So for example on Dm7b5, rather than think D Locrian, I'll use F Dorian as a guide. Same notes, but it really produces a different feel.

Another advantage to this is that you then are using the same scale pattern for both the IVm7 and the IIm7b5.

Another thing I like about doing this is that the Melodic Minor scale for altered 7 sounds is then a minor third above the Dorian scale for m7b5 chords. So for example in minor blues measure four, on Gm7b5 go up a minor third from G to get Bb Dorian. Then from Bb go up another minor third to get Db Melodic Minor scale over the C altered chord.

On a related Dorian note, I'm making my way through Pat Martino's Creative Force DVD; it's like watching Yoda play jazz guitar. He has a concept called Minor Conversion where he often substitutes the related minor chord for whatever chord he is playing. On 7 chords he'll think of the m7 up a fifth, so for example on F7 use Cm7. This then often results in C Dorian over F7 as a very basic guide scale. The motivation for this is to eventually have a comfortable fingering like Dorian well-know all over the fingerboard, and then utilize it in a variety of musical situations.

User Info Menu

Funnyval:
    I liked that idea. I have been working on the locrian over Dm7b5 and using the F Dorian up a third really changed things. I might have to eventually get some Pat Martino material. Alot of his ideas keep cropping up here on the forum.
    And Matt, the Minor Blues scales thread is turning out to be a goldmine.Everybody is getting hyped on ideas.
    Thanks
    Rich

User Info Menu

I'm glad people are digging the lesson. I'm even more glad that it is sparking discussion. Sometimes people tend to take lessons as dogma, but they should always be open to interpretation. Just in the replies to this thread this lesson has spawned some very interesting and helpful suggestions that weren't covered in the lesson. That's a really cool thing!

MW

User Info Menu

Matt, if you use the Ab7 in measure nine, which guide scale do you recommend?

I like the Ab7#11 scale, which is Eb Melodic Minor. When thinking in Melodic Minor, it's easy to go up a forth to catch the Melodic Minor for altered. For example, for Ab7 G7 in measures 9-10, think Eb Melodic Minor, then Ab Melodic Minor.

User Info Menu

I agree, I use either altered or 4th mode melodic minor, 7#11, for every dominant chord I play, most of the time.

MW

User Info Menu

When playing minor tunes, a good scale to remember is the CLASSICAL MINOR SCALE. This scale is different from the ascending or descending minor scales in the sense that all the notes between the 5th and the 8ve can be used freely:

C CLASSICAL MINOR SCALE:

C D Eb F G Ab A Bb B C
    1 2 b3 4 5 b6 6 b7 7 1

User Info Menu

I heard something about that. I think it might've been on this website. It was in reference to a Pat Martino method of soloing over minor chords. He pretty much built himself a compostion of the Harmonic Minor, Dorian, Phrygian, and Aeolian scales. I think it was sort of similar to what your talking about.

I think it would've been

C Db D Eb F G Ab A Bb B C

something along those lines. Basically everything but the natural 3 and the flat 5. It was pretty cool. Doesn't really appeal to my general mindset or approach to improv, but it's pretty cool to play with if you think that way.

User Info Menu

Hi DiMatthewsBand07,

Your "Pat Martino" scale has almost all the notes of the chromatic scale and I don't see why one could not use the two remaining notes:
    - b5 is a typical blue note very often used in jazz solos

- The nat 3rd could sound a bit hard on minor chords, but call it b4 and in fact it is a very modern tension that Miles Davis used often over minor chords.

The traditional jazz theory (Berklee) teaches that any melodic line in stepwise or chromatic motion between the 5th and the 8ve of a minor chord is called a LINE CLICHE. Examples:

Cm Cm(maj7) Cm7 Cm6
    Cm Cm+ Cm6 Cm+

Cm Cm/Bb Cm/Ab G7

This is the idea behind the Classical Minor Scale.
    But of course when you solo over any chord, you can use all the 12 notes of the chromatic scale depending on the mood of the tune.
    Last edited by renema; 07-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

The maj 3rd on a minor 7th chord is used often in a ii-V context when the player is eluding to the V7 chord.

For example, Dm7 the raised third is F#, which is the "bebop" note over a G7, the V chord. So if you played G F# F E over a Dm7 chord, you are just focusing your line on the V7, G7, chord. This is a common bebop technique though I would definately avoid sitting on it, the only guy I've ever heard get away with is Michael Brecker and who could argue with anything he plays!

MW

User Info Menu

Haha. Yup. You know how Pat Martino is. Very "academic", if you will. First off I was mistaken on the construction of the scale. There's no b9 but there is the b5. My mistake. Still that doesn't invalidate the point you were making. It's really just a fancy Pat Martino way of saying that he likes using these tensions over minor chords. I don't like to think of improvisation that way. I prefer to look at chords or arpeggios and add extensions and alter chord tones from there rather than lumping them into one monster scale and trying to memorize it all over the place. Anyway, here is the link to the discussion that I found it on...

Minor Conversions

from what I can gather, he puts these together in a scale so that it's easier to use them over chords of different qualities. Again, I don't really use this approach so you're probably better off checking out the above thread and reading what they have to say.

As for the line cliche idea. I really love the way that line cliche can sound. In a Sentimental Mood, Funny Valentine. Charlie Parker would use that in a lot of his improvised minor lines. It can sound pretty cool in a ii-V-I so if you use that line cliche in an improv you can get an interesting effect because it stops on that 6, which is also the 3 of the following dominant chord. The exact same line over the dominant chord. In this case it'll start on the 5 and end on the 3 of the dominant chord which then becomes the 7 of your I chord. Really cool idea.

User Info Menu

O sorry that was in response to renema's last post.

Now I follow on the natural 3. That makes sense. Joe Pass does that a lot too doesn't he?

User Info Menu

Yeah Joe would constantly play the V7 chord and ignore the iim7 chord when blowing and comping. A lot of times he would also make the ii chord a II7 chord, like a V7/V7, which turned the progression into a mini cycle of fifths.

MW

User Info Menu

I doubt if Joe Pass would insist on that maj 3rd over a minor chord; probably he would play it very quickly and resolve it to the nearest neighboor You won't find it in a Hollywood movie either...

But someone like Charles Mingus probably would enjoy it. When I was a student, I could never understand how he could add a Maj7 to a dominant seventh chord. He would play a voicing like:
    G7= G F B F#

If you hear it, you play it...