The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

The new song is " Bright Size Life "

If anyone wants the melody then PM me.....

Enjoy

Tom
    Last edited by oilywrag; 02-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah--my first two cents will be--a tune where modal thinking actually makes sense!

User Info Menu

"Bright Size Life" will be fun for me since I haven't spent much time on it. I listened to Pat Methenys' utube version and am looking forward to listening to how other members of our forum approach the song.

wiz

User Info Menu

So you know the tune...

enjoy,

Tom

User Info Menu

I don't like the Metheny version...is there a definitive "classic" version to reccomend??

Sailor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    I don't like the Metheny version...is there a definitive "classic" version to reccomend??

Sailor
    The original version is on his debut album, of the same name. I can't find it on youtube, though, too many covers!

User Info Menu

Yes, it's Metheny's tune. You can't get more classic. Just a note from the peanut gallery: the chord that is labeled "Bbmaj7b5/A" actually has Bb in the bass.

There's a lead sheet in the original Real Book (that I don't have at hand); but I listened to the video link.

User Info Menu

I'll have to sit this one out Not a fan but I will listen to it and watch the comments...I'm sure I will learn something.

Sailor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Yes, it's Metheny's tune. You can't get more classic. Just a note from the peanut gallery: the chord that is labeled "Bbmaj7b5/A" actually has Bb in the bass.

There's a lead sheet in the original Real Book (that I don't have at hand); but I listened to the video link.
    I wish I had your ears; from what I can read on the net, that chord can be voiced as x03330 on the guitar which gives an A in the bass but Jaco Pastorius played a Bb on his bass on the original. The Bb in the bass would suggest you play Bb Lydian here?

Des

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor

Sailor
    Whoa! careful there Sailor. I once criticised Joe Pass on this forum and I had to change my name and post from Siberia for 3 months after that.

I didn't have a copy of this either. I got a Metheny album 30 years ago - during his synth phase - and didn't listen to PM again for 20 years.

User Info Menu

Hey, It's not my favorite tune either...haven't played since is I was at Berklee when Metheny was there, I hear it as a rock tune. But will still go through our process of analysis and playing of tune... Best Reg

User Info Menu

"Whoa! careful there Sailor. I once criticised Joe Pass on this forum and I had to change my name and post from Siberia for 3 months after that. "...LOL!!!

Yeah...sounds like a rock tune to me too...Hey, I'm old...!!

Rock on dudes, Sailor

User Info Menu

Rock tune? It's a good thing we didn't pick Phase Dance!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Rock tune? It's a good thing we didn't pick Phase Dance!
    I am working on a Chord Melody version of Paranoid by Sabbath.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz
    I am working on a Chord Melody version of Paranoid by Sabbath.
    I'm trying to get my church choir to sing "Crazy Train"

User Info Menu

Ok... back to the song.

The jam track supplied, does seem a bit to "rocky". I find it better to perceive it as a somewhat of a bossa. If you listen to Metheny's Live version (with Larry Grenadier and Bill Stewart), it becomes more apparent.

Once it's in the performance stage, however, all players need to increase the ambiguity of that latin feel.

You might want to try working with this BIAB file instead. I have also only included bass and drums, as this is a trio piece.

http://www.box.net/shared/r0dfzz0env
    Last edited by sgreb; 02-03-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: FIXED LINK!!

User Info Menu

Ok guys,as some people would like a trio setting then here is a drum and bass track, the bass is a bit lively but I don't have to pay him..

enjoy,

Tom
    Last edited by oilywrag; 02-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.

User Info Menu

BSL_IMRPOV

In the above link, I wrote down how I perceive the song from an improv perspective.

I am self-taught (before the internet) and utilized my ear mostly to arrive at these conclusions.

Essentially the song alternates back and forth from DMaj to Dmin tonalities. There are some other deviations, which I noted.

This is just my simple mind in action, but it seems to work well to enable excellent improv over this tune.
    Last edited by sgreb; 02-03-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: FIXED LINK

User Info Menu

I just checked. Pat Metheny is 56. I feel old!

User Info Menu

Wow Tom... great track. Really, that make me want to play, sounds like Charlie Moffett. I liked the other one also, but the room here... will be fun... Thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster

That Bb chord, as Metheny plays it in the video, is melody note on the open E, then D, Bb, F, and the open A string. The bass player is definitely playing Bb. So I'm going to call the chord Bbmaj7#11.

[Edit: I just saw Dazz's post. That's the fingering Pat uses, x03330.]

I have the real book chart. It has some funky parts in the melody that Pat doesn't seem to be playing in the video. It's the first measure of G/A and the first measure of A/E.

I like this song.
    Last edited by kenbennett; 02-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool I just Listen to Tune... thanks for link. Very cool, not really my thing, but I'll fake my way through. I'll make Video now, after I read some post... my morning paper... Reg

User Info Menu

Cool Here's a version of BSL.. I listen to version and tried to cover head in similar feel. This is extremely rough... I just read through with memory of sample ... I think it's a difficult head... And as much as I dig Toms version with Bass and Drums... it was hard to feel time... If I played it a few times would probable start to get the right feel... but it's good to see how I trashed the tune... great entertainment... have fun. I hear the tune as a deceptive rock tune with cool melody... I still don't hear the C nat. on the A/E, I see it could be octave displacement of blue note... just don't hear, reminds me of Scofield lick. The analysis is pretty straight ahead, IV, bVI, I, yada yada Reg

User Info Menu

cool post/vid Reg!!

User Info Menu

Another good video Reg! Thanks for posting.

wiz