The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 58

User Info Menu

Hey Reg that was great, I really liked that fast digital pattern run towards the end

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks SPG members... I think the tune is much easier to solo on them make the head sound right. The other track might be a little easier to play over all around... I was just digging Tom's Bass player, even if he was soloing the whole time... I'll try and make an arrangement or something different next time I look at tune and post.(I'll tune up)
    Jay thanks... I really was just getting through chart. If I was playing at gig... I probably would have really opened up and entertained the audience... I think it's that kind of tune.
    Best Reg

User Info Menu

Hey Reg,well cool,full of info as well..thanks for taking the time to post...

Cheers,

Tom

User Info Menu

What a fab idea for a post. I'll going to have a bash. Will more "traditional "standards be posted in the future?

User Info Menu

Santiboy nice to have you here..If you have a look the in theory forum and I think the everything elese forum.You will find Blue Bossa,Have You Met Miss Jones and Fly Me To The Moon.All done in threads like this,also,yes other standards will be done,when this thread slows down..We will run a poll to find the next one..

Cheers

Tom

User Info Menu

Just been looking at this tune. Going to have to pass Im afraid, its a bit too tricky for me at the moment. Might have a go at the older post though, can efforts still be uploaded for the Blue Bossa, Fly Me etc ?

User Info Menu

Santiboy feel free to upload what you want.All efforts are welcome..

Cheers,

Tom

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying this. I've been in a bad rut for a while and this has forced me to learn a track I didn't know and sort out all the problems I had with my recording setup. I should have something to upload very soon.

As for the analysis, it just sounds Lydian all the way through.

User Info Menu

Good stab at it, Reg.

I agree that the head is difficult. It's not difficult to play, just to make it sound good. I used to say half jokingly that guitar players can't write music. Bright Size Life is an example of what I meant. It doesn't sing as a melody should. A little too lickish in some places, it's not as bad as some.

But... I enjoy playing it. It does have a certain spirit. I would record it, but my hands are stiff from carving all day. Maybe tomorrow.

Everybody else go for it. I'm curious what other players do with it.

User Info Menu

Here are some possible voicings that seem ok (apologies for any typos):

GMaj7 3x443x ??
    Bb/A x0333x (or open top e string)
    BbMaj7 x1323x ??
    DMaj9 xx0230
    D/C x3023x
    G/A 5x543x or x0543x
    F/G 3x321x
    G/B x2003x
    D/F# 20023x
    A/E 0x222x

Des

User Info Menu

Hey Des,

Thanks for contributing. Your chords will work fine. I never thought of the country aspect of this piece. I guess it's in there. Many country guitarists can play some jazz

I was wondering where everybody else is too. Reg is always quick with a video. Where's Tony Knight to compile everyone's thoughts into a pdf lesson? Is anybody else ready to play?

I have an arrangement almost worked out. Just need to record it. I'm going straight Bossa Nova with a chord melody approach. Due to a broken computer that has my only decent drum samples, I can't make a backing track.

Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll record a 2 guitar version or slap together a video to show what I'm working at.

User Info Menu

I 've been extremely busy with gigs for the past week but I am working on a version of "Bright Size Life" for the forum. This tune is difficult for me to play on.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I 've been extremely busy with gigs for the past week but I am working on a version of "Bright Size Life" for the forum. This tune is difficult for me to play on.

wiz
    First few times I played it, I just tried to play arpeggios on the chords as they went past and it sounded wrong and was kind of tough going. After some reading and head scratching and trial and error, D major works fine for about half the tune.
    For the chords that do not fit that there are tons of easy choices e.g. Dminor or Fmajor or Bb Lydian on the Bb chords or indeed just the chord tones

User Info Menu

OK I'll make another one, this time I won't just kind of sight read through.... I'll try and come with something different with changes and feel... I need to make a few videos for other posts also... get out the recorder and play... Best Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    Good stab at it, Reg.

I agree that the head is difficult. It's not difficult to play, just to make it sound good. I used to say half jokingly that guitar players can't write music. Bright Size Life is an example of what I meant. It doesn't sing as a melody should. A little too lickish in some places, it's not as bad as some.

I could not agree more! This is why I've never really gotten into the 'fusion' guys, it doesn't sound melodic to me at all.

User Info Menu

I'll post something soon. I absolultely love it, but have always struggled to really make this tune happen.

User Info Menu

I've been way overthinking this tune so, today I'm completely ignoring it. I'll put up a take tomorrow. I prefer your backing Sgreb, though I'll cut it to 3 minutes.

User Info Menu

I'm almost ready to post something, but I just can't get that Metheny sound. I have 3 digital delays and 4 chourus machines in a series-parallel network and its almost there.

I have an appointment to perm my hair tomorrow - that should nail it !

On a more serious note, the problem I keep seeming to hit is emerging from an improvised chorus back to the opening hook. I aways linger too long into the final bar of the improv and then find myself having missed the hook and already into the first Gmaj7 bar. Is this a simple beginner's mistake and I just need some more practice, or does anyone have any tips that may help ?

- and missing the hook means I'm doomed to another chorus of unresolved improv !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    I'm almost ready to post something, but I just can't get that Metheny sound. I have 3 digital delays and 4 chourus machines in a series-parallel network and its almost there.

I have an appointment to perm my hair tomorrow - that should nail it !

On a more serious note, the problem I keep seeming to hit is emerging from an improvised chorus back to the opening hook. I aways linger too long into the final bar of the improv and then find myself having missed the hook and already into the first Gmaj7 bar. Is this a simple beginner's mistake and I just need some more practice, or does anyone have any tips that may help ?

- and missing the hook means I'm doomed to another chorus of unresolved improv !
    +1 on all 3 fronts
    My hair is a mess today; the cat has pissed on my 3rd chorus pedal and I play the hook somewhere around bar 5 in a real hurry and with an apologetic look on my face.

User Info Menu

Here is a backing track with the JACO PASTORIUS bass part throughout. Including his solo. A great opportunity for soloing and comping.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think you play the head, take 2 choruses, comp for 2 and head out.

There is a two bar count in.

http://www.box.net/shared/pu64zguo2x
    Last edited by sgreb; 02-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmmm just played it through... sounds like the last head gets clipped off. Oh well, still a fun backing track. Really helps with the vibe.

User Info Menu

Here's a different version... sorry it's rough but if i rehearsed the tune it would be boring... anyway I'm lazy, have late gigs all week... and want to post some other tunes and samples of different techniques on some other threads, and I need to post a Ceora for Wiz... Writing tunes for another CD...Yada Yada...This is not a showcase thread, half the process is simply going through the motions... i think my versions of BSL suck... who cares. We'll be playing new tune soon. Maybe we should move on sooner than later. hell I can't even read the head and get it to sound like anything... Reg

User Info Menu

Good evening, Reg...
    Now look, that's the trouble with you youngsters. If you're not going to spend the time getting your licks together, you'll never make it to the bandstand. Don't you want to become a professional player..?

No, but seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    ...sorry it's rough...
    What? That's rough? Apology unnecessary (but accepted... )
    ...i think my versions of BSL suck...
    Admirable modesty, but false (excepting, perhaps, to yourself...). I'd love to 'suck' like that (dream on...).
    ...hell I can't even read the head and get it to sound like anything...
    Sounds great to me.
    Nice work, lad. I'm sure you'll make it in the end.
    Another gem from the 'Reg Room'. I really don't know how you do it, getting in from (or going out to...) a gig, sits down, plugs in, plays his b***s off, then apologizes for the result..! What's it like on a good night (for you...), then? Must be worth paying good money to see.
    Many thanks, and looking forward to the one you're satisfied with.

PS: Just watched the OilyRag video posted earlier, for the first time. excellent trio (thumb's up for the bass/drums...). Pat Methany remains Pat Methany. I'm glad I didn't try this one, folks. So, no, Reg, it doesn't 'suck', but hell's teeth, one can't compete with that, so all the more credit to you. I'm not surprised that others are shy with their cameras..!
    Last edited by Dad3353; 02-16-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: PS added...

User Info Menu

Another good one, Reg.

I spliced up that Jaco track so that it continues on out to the end. Then I accidentally erased part of it. I'll fix it tonight and post it.

Gotta go to work.

Ken

User Info Menu

Thanks.... yea maybe this tune is a little weird... I sure don't feel it yet, I'll try one more version... maybe get it right... I remember back at berklee when Pat was there and this tune came out, there were a few other tunes called exercises that also made it into that 1st real Book. Talk to Steve Swallow... Reg