The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

Thank you, reg.
    Your points on extended dominants are the ones I didn't know since you already posted the other ones.
    Y'know, it seems that when I think I know what's going on something new appears, like these extended dominants. I wonder what will be the next new thing that will appear.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The term extended dominants is new to me, but seeing the description its just a way of saying your proceeding a chord with its own V. Basically you can precede any chord by a dominant a 5th up. So lets say you have a II chord in C major Dmi7 you could put "its V" an A7 before it. Reg's post has all the proper names for this, I'm just trying show simply what it is. It works because it has the V->I root movement/sound, it's resolving. Where I come from we would say its a "functioning" dominant, its acting like a V because it moving down a 5th. This is what the Circle of Fifths is all about. I've seen it noted as V of II and other similar notation.

You can put more than one dominant before a chord we called that "back cycling". that would something like B7->E7->A7->D-7. All dominants a fifth apart so they each have that V->I sound.

Bottom line its all about root movement.

User Info Menu

Bottom line its all about root movement.[/quote]

It can be.... Different types of Dom. chords have different collections of notes, which are related to context and the resolutions of inner voices, and they fall into different groups....But who cares... Most don't hear the difference anyway. When I play... I play what the group plays... Different groups play differently... Reg