The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 179 of 179

User Info Menu

yea... it somewhat depends on your skill level. You need to start and finish things.

Memorizing licks is standard common practice. learn or makeup a lick.... be able to transpose it and play in any harmonic context.

Like Mick-7's Cmaj7 ... expand and develop it. Then play it over Minor, Dominant etc... then over a chord Pattern that is usually played when a Cma7 chord is notated or implied.

Licks eventually evolve into longer sections of space.... A 1 or 2 bar lick becomes 2 or 4, then 4 or 8 bars. Then it actually becomes how your going to approach actually playing the tune.

It's like the Form basically stays the same, ( obviously intro, outros, interludes, vamp etc..) but just like Forms... licks become like a Forms.... you have preset plug and play licks that create improv when performing live. Just Like you can hear single note.... you can also hear licks and also hear different versions of those licks....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    yea... it somewhat depends on your skill level. You need to start and finish things.

Memorizing licks is standard common practice. learn or makeup a lick.... be able to transpose it and play in any harmonic context.

Like Mick-7's Cmaj7 ... expand and develop it. Then play it over Minor, Dominant etc... then over a chord Pattern that is usually played when a Cma7 chord is notated or implied.

Licks eventually evolve into longer sections of space.... A 1 or 2 bar lick becomes 2 or 4, then 4 or 8 bars. Then it actually becomes how your going to approach actually playing the tune.

It's like the Form basically stays the same, ( obviously intro, outros, interludes, vamp etc..) but just like Forms... licks become like a Forms.... you have preset plug and play licks that create improv when performing live. Just Like you can hear single note.... you can also hear licks and also hear different versions of those licks....
    Yep. This seems to be one of the hallmarks of "really knowing a tune" for me.

User Info Menu

Another for the Lick Compendium.

I think this is a good sounding lick that can be very adaptable. With adjustment, I've played it over minor iiVI's and static chords.

Modular lick compendium-lick06-2024-04-08-png
    Here's how the lick sounds.
    I'm using my latest guitar sound, a slightly more saxish sound.

User Info Menu

Here's a long phrase from a Howard Roberts solo, it's not really a lick but an example of the sort of chromatic lines that sound good and are easier to play at fast tempos. I've attached my tablature and an mp3 of the phrase.

Satin Doll by Howard Roberts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuNh6f1MT8g

In the video, it's the first long phrase in Howard's solo. I'm unsure about the fingering in the 2nd bar where he jumps from C to E on the top E string, but there's no easy way to get to it from where he was.
    Attached Files Attached Files