Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

*whistles nonchalantly*

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ll read the comments here. But I’m not watching the video

User Info Menu

Typical internet blurb to get clicks and make money.I'll pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I’ll read the comments here. But I’m not watching the video
    No need, I'll summarize it for you; he sets 7 days to learn Jazz
    and in the end played how you would expect from somebody
    having played rock and blues for 9 years and jazz only 7 days.
    However, it did awakened his interest in both guitar and jazz.

User Info Menu

That was a fun video. He learnt the head faster than me, but it looked like he may have been using tabz

User Info Menu

Yes, that usually happens nowadays, they all want to play Donnalee.
    The guy is pretty aware of what's happening, he knows it doesn't sound right.

User Info Menu

What's not to like about it? He has a reasonable go and is respectful to the jazz world at all points.

User Info Menu

I actually thought content wise it was pretty decent. There is a bit where he talked about ‘mastering jazz in seven days’ when I did want to mash my fists and forehead against the keys, but it passed
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 05-20-2023 at 07:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Lol. I'm pretty sure learning a few bars to 1 head and noodling major over a 2-5-1 isn't mastering or learning jazz guitar.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 05-19-2023 at 03:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I actually thought content wise it was pretty decent. There is a bit where he talked about ‘mastering jazz in seventh days’ when I did want to mash my fists and forehead against the keys, but it passed
    Nothing raised any hackles for me. It seemed like he genuinely wants to learn ... something. The title is click-baity, but par for the course on ye olde tubes of ewe. One thing that I kind of zoomed in on, though, is the way he stressed that jazz is this really hard technical thing, and you do it to prove you're a real musician to yourself, your parents, whoever. Now, it's actually true that a lot of rock players trying to play jazz start out thinking of jazz as a tool for proving something more than as something they genuinely love. What happens after that, though, is what matters. If he were to document real growth as a musician over a period of time, I think that would be pretty interesting. But if he never gets beyond wanting to play Donna Lee at 240 BPM and thinking that playing jazz = arpeggiating ii-V-I's, then it's just more internet silliness.

User Info Menu

I've seen a couple of his other videos. Seems like a nice enough kid. But just another YT channel where someone who likes to hear themselves ramble on about something figured out how to make some side bread with it.

He probably provides some useful insight for some players of a certain level of experience, but not for me. But hey- nothing wrong with that.

User Info Menu

He does seem genuinely really nice, that’s why I subbed a while back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I've seen a couple of his other videos. Seems like a nice enough kid. But just another YT channel where someone who likes to hear themselves ramble on about something figured out how to make some side bread with it.
    hey! I resemble that remark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    hey! I resemble that remark.
    you don't take 1 minutes worth of information and stretch it to 15 minutes of awkward jokes, b roll, etc. Your videos are solid info.

the thing where youtube started paying people to make their videos longer really ruined it for me. I still watch stuff but so much of it is just meandering garbage.

I'm really depressed by the internet lately. It's like each thing that replaces the old thing is worse, but then the old thing disappears. Blogs were cool, they had good information by people that knew what they were talking about. Then youtube came and it was shiny and cool and blogs disappeared. Now youtube is full of people talking to themselves and acting dumb and all that blog info is gone.

I might have to engage with real life again. It's scary out there though

Man I do not know how to spell Disappeared. I thought it was Dissapeared.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sully75
    I'm really depressed by the internet lately. It's like each thing that replaces the old thing is worse, but then the old thing disappears.
    I'm not experiencing this problem. Not counting free access to the greats' recordings, I have more good practice material than I know what to do with. I wouldn't run out of material to work on if I only used Open Studio and Chad LB, but I'm always finding relevant info that I can just click and access in a few moments.

I might have to engage with real life again. It's scary out there though.
    I ain't goin out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I'm not experiencing this problem. Not counting free access to the greats' recordings, I have more good practice material than I know what to do with. I wouldn't run out of material to work on if I only used Open Studio and Chad LB, but I'm always finding relevant info that I can just click and access in a few moments.

I ain't goin out there.

Yeah that's a good point. Music content is generally getting better. But it suits youtube. Chad LB stuff is quite good. I subscribed to his text lesson thing for a minute, it was decent. I can't remember why I stopped. Really I think I need to stick with having a teacher at least once a month.

It's more like missing some guy's blog about how to fix my VWs airbag light or something. It could be a 10 picture blog or a 35 minute video of someone just rambling some bullshit to make a longer video. Forums, in general, seem to have less content.

Maybe just cranky middle aged man syndrome.

User Info Menu

Well I do a great deal of skipping through parts and writing off entire videos. Phrases you might hear me mumble to myself while I'm youtubing include: 'okkk, shut the f up, that's enough of that.' lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Well I do a great deal of skipping through parts and writing off entire videos. Phrases you might hear me mumble to myself while I'm youtubing include: 'okkk, shut the f up, that's enough of that.' lol
    100%

"ok, enough rambling, get to the CONTENT"

User Info Menu

We don't watch Chad LB in our house anymore since my wife commented on how good looking he is .

I think there's loads of fantastic content on YouTube - truly a golden age to be trying to learn anything, be it jazz guitar, how to iron a shirt, cook a steak, whatever. The main problem I find with jazz tutorials is that there are so many of them it's very easy to get swept up into watching many without taking the time to focus on one and really drill and learn whatever it is that it's teaching. But that's certainly not a fault of the people making the videos.

As for this particular video, the guy was a good presenter, the limited non-jazz clips demonstrated he was a good musician with taste and feel, and I think it was an interesting introduction for the 'jazz-curious' about what might be involved in getting into jazz. I've no doubt the 'mastering jazz' thing was not intended to be taken seriously.

User Info Menu

Chad LB is very cool even if sometimes he looks like and sounds like a cyborg.
    Fortunately he smiles and I repeat he seems to be cool and humble.
    He gives all his secrets.

I don't think guys like Lee Konitz and Jackie McLean would be so interesting nowadays.

I might be stupid but when it's too perfect, I don't feel so comfortable, it seems so non human like people singing a cappella emulating auto-tune effect.

User Info Menu

Imagine if your name was literally Chad and you didn't look like a Chad.

It's high risk naming, that's for sure.