The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is there a source for /jam tracks/recordings of the exercises in P4J?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not that I know of, but one can do better than that book, lot's better.

Better in terms of well curated jazz language examples, and better in terms of backing tracks.

But if you're adament about it, why not just record your own? Play comping chords either four-to-the-bar or with charleston rhythm and variations of same.

Not that I know of, but one can do better than that book, lot's better.”

I’m open to suggestions.

User Info Menu

Sure, I have lots. What do you want to focus on?

While you think about it, here are but two examples. Firstly, you can look at Corey Christiansen's books on "Essential Jazz Lines in the style of so and so" (Parker, Trane, Wes, Joe, etc.)

He covers typical jazz language on "formulae" (to borrow a term from David Baker and Jerry Coker). Meaning, II-V-Is, long and short, in major and minor, turnarounds, single chord studies, plus typical songs in the artist's style - changes only, no head. The play-along CD has repeats and goes through 12 keys. So, it's a good and thorough workout with more "real" jazz language material, which that Coker book is very short on. Coker has some good stuff though. For example, in the Kindle version of his original Improvising Jazz book, there is a LOT of additional "jazz language" material not in the original text. They should reissue that book with it.

One more set of examples - Chad LB's stuff. (a lot of stuff, and growing). Jazz exercises, jazz language patterns, play-alongs, tune-based learning where he has short etudes for (1) chord scales used musically, (2) musical arpeggios, (3) approach notes/enclosures, and then (4) a solo etude employing all of the above. Play-along tracks in a lot of cases too.

In fairness to the authors of the book that you reference, Jazz Ed. keeps advancing. People have had more time to conduct research/analysis and present their findings. A lot of newer texts (not all) have more useful/musical jazz language in them. Even David Baker's Bebop series has more musical material than his earlier - and extensive - books covering II-Vs, turnbacks, cycles, single chord stuff. To be frank, a lot of that old stuff looks to be "mailed in". A scale or arpeggio up and down - "whoopie, what great jazz language!" (not). There's no single "perfect" book or series though, so I look for jazz language (that sounds good, that is). Anybody can write a scale or arpeggio and call it a jazz book. That borders on fraud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Is there a source for /jam tracks/recordings of the exercises in P4J?
    Just set a metronome on 2 & 4 and work through that book.

Give it a year or so.

User Info Menu

If you use iReal Pro, you can download a huge batch of backing files for that book.

User Info Menu

Yeah. I was looking at that today. Even better to use tunes to practice progressions, whether it be All Blues or Confimation, Oleo, you name it.