The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 235

User Info Menu

I has wondering if there was any interested in starting a Study Group for the Galbraith’s book n. 1.

I’ve started to practisr with the book and IMHO well deserves to work in a deep and structured way.

I don’t have experience in this groups but I’m interested in contact with players that share interest in it.

Please, let me know… and in this case, let my how :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Travelrock
    I has wondering if there was any interested in starting a Study Group for the Galbraith’s book n. 1.

I’ve started to practisr with the book and IMHO well deserves to work in a deep and structured way.

I don’t have experience in this groups but I’m interested in contact with players that share interest in it.

I would be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I might be good for a few rounds. It looks pretty good but also is more exercises than music...

User Info Menu

This ship needs a captain.

I propose some ideas:

1º) Wait this week deadline so that more people can join.

2º) During those days, decide on which platform we are going to work. The logical thing would be to work from this same forum, but I don't really know how to do it here and I would need suggestions and experiences in that regard.

3º) Follow the order of the book.

4º) Start working on the examples on pages 4 to 8, which will serve as the basis for the exercises that begin on page 9. The objective would be to understand their purpose and make the harmonic analysis compatible with the one proposed by the author on pages 9 and 10.

Proposed schedule for examples:

- Ex. 1 and 2 (p. 4 and 5) Week of 08-14/05
    - Ex. 3 and 4 (p. 5 and 6). Week of 15-21/05
    - Ex. 5 and 6 (p. 6 and 7). Week of 22-28/05
    - Ex. 6 and 7 (p. 8). Week of 05/29-06/04 Proposed

Calendar for the first 4 exercises:

- Exercise in Eb MAJOR (p. 9-10). Week of 05-11/06
    - Exercise in G MAJOR (p.11). Week of 12-18/06
    - Exercise in C MAJOR (p. 12). Week of 19-25/06
    - Exercise in F MAJOR (p. 13). Week of 26/26-02/07

Note: I am not an English speaker, so I would gladly hand this organization over to an English speaker.

User Info Menu

I'm already working on this book, but I'm taking the exercises in the order of 4ths:

D7 - G major - G7 - C major - C7 - F major - F7 - Bb major - Bb7 - Eb major - Eb7 - Ab major - Ab7 - Db major

Due to a bout of neuropathy I've suffered, it's taking quite a bit of time and effort to remember each exercise and get my hands to play them, so, unfortunately, I won't be any good trying to keep to a schedule.

I'd be into checking in with the thread and rooting along in spirit, though.

I'll be very interested in the analysis of each line, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry
    I'm already working on this book, but I'm taking the exercises in the order of 4ths:

D7 - G major - G7 - C major - C7 - F major - F7 - Bb major - Bb7 - Eb major - Eb7 - Ab major - Ab7 - Db major

Due to a bout of neuropathy I've suffered, it's taking quite a bit of time and effort to remember each exercise and get my hands to play them, so, unfortunately, I won't be any good trying to keep to a schedule.

I'd be into checking in with the thread and rooting along in spirit, though.

I'll be very interested in the analysis of each line, for sure.

Thank you very much for your interesting idea. I hope we can share info in any way, I am sure that by joining experiences we will be able to move forward in a more positive and profound way.

User Info Menu

I propose some ideas:

1º) Wait this week deadline so that more people can join.

2º) During those days, decide on which platform we are going to work. The logical thing would be to work from this same forum, but I don't really know how to do it here and I would need suggestions and experiences in that regard.

3º) Follow the order of the book.

4º) Start working on the examples on pages 4 to 8, which will serve as the basis for the exercises that begin on page 9. The objective would be to understand their purpose and make the harmonic analysis compatible with the one proposed by the author on pages 9 and 10.

Proposed schedule for examples:

- Ex. 1 and 2 (p. 4 and 5) Week of 08-14/05
    - Ex. 3 and 4 (p. 5 and 6). Week of 15-21/05
    - Ex. 5 and 6 (p. 6 and 7). Week of 22-28/05
    - Ex. 6 and 7 (p. 8). Week of 05/29-06/04 Proposed

Calendar for the first 4 exercises:

- Exercise in Eb MAJOR (p. 9-10). Week of 05-11/06
    - Exercise in G MAJOR (p.11). Week of 12-18/06
    - Exercise in C MAJOR (p. 12). Week of 19-25/06
    - Exercise in F MAJOR (p. 13). Week of 26/26-02/07

Note: I am not an English speaker, so I would gladly hand this organization over to an English speaker.
    Interesting calendar, can you translate to the Western or Gregorian Calendar please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Interesting calendar, can you translate to the Western or Gregorian Calendar please?
    Yes, is Western calendar. I think in USA is used mm/dd/yyyy. Just change the position of days in my post: dd/mm (all refered to 2023).

So 08-14/05 in my post mean dd-dd/mm. I hope you don’t have problem.

I'm loving the Galbraith "Fingerboard Workbook." For me, already, it's doing about the same for my reading and thinking through the fretboard as Pat Martino's *Linear Expressions* book has done...except there's more variety (IMHO) in Galbraith's book. Well, Galbraith is a bit more concrete and does more of the work for the player in terms of written exercises.

From more of a beginner's level on guitar, even if I don't contribute much to this thread, I intend to put in the hours working through as much of this text as I can handle.

Good idea for a study group!

Quote Originally Posted by jackalGreen
    I'm loving the Galbraith "Fingerboard Workbook." For me, already, it's doing about the same for my reading and thinking through the fretboard as Pat Martino's *Linear Expressions* book has done...except there's more variety (IMHO) in Galbraith's book. Well, Galbraith is a bit more concrete and does more of the work for the player in terms of written exercises.

From more of a beginner's level on guitar, even if I don't contribute much to this thread, I intend to put in the hours working through as much of this text as I can handle.

Good idea for a study group!
    Thank you for your comment, I find it very positive. You have a very good overview of the book and this surely helps us to start it with more enthusiasm.

We hope to count on you as another colleague in the study group and to be able to enjoy your contributions and your experience with the book,

Welcome!

Next week we start, you still have time to enroll in this little guitar adventure! If you're worried about not having enough time to contribute ideas to the group, that shouldn't be a reason not to participate, the goal of the working group is to unite people with a common interest in working on this book. If, on the other hand, you have already advanced in the study of that volume, I also invite you to join at any time to contribute your knowledge.

Attached a link to the calendar. I have thought of creating the documents in Google Docs, so that we can have them at hand and edit them among the participants. I would appreciate any opinion on this idea, and any comments on whether you can open the document that I link.

SCHEDULE (IN CONSTRUCTION) - Google Docs

In a future message I will link a proposal for a first work scheme, whose objective is that the examples and exercises that we work on are analyzed, so that we practice more consciously of what we are working on, and we can help others in a future.

Greetings

User Info Menu

I skipped over all the examples and went straight for the exercises, so it's interesting to go back and work through them.

User Info Menu

I've had this book sitting on the shelf for a few months, but I got busy and have not pursued it yet. This seems like a nice bit of accountability to encourage me to finally work through it.

I'm in.

I skipped over all the examples and went straight for the exercises, so it's interesting to go back and work through them.

You’re welcome. It’s lucky have someone who has experience in the exercises, as we will be able to better identity which examples will be more important later.

Quote Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis
    I've had this book sitting on the shelf for a few months, but I got busy and have not pursued it yet. This seems like a nice bit of accountability to encourage me to finally work through it.

I'm in.
    I’m glad to read this! Welcome.

Hello everyone,

This is the first week of work for the group. I have thought that we can collect the information that we are sharing in Google Docs, which I can edit with your contributions (or if you prefer you can also edit with me).

I'll give you a link with a proposal for worksheets that represent the examples that we are going to work on this week to take the pulse of the book. I have thought that in this way we can have more at hand the useful information that we develop. Please, give me your opinion, it may seem too laborious to you. If you prefer a more relaxed way of running the working group, I would also appreciate your opinion in that regard.

Thank you so much.

GALBRAITH 1. Page 4 - Google Docs

GALBRAITH 1. Page 5 - Google Docs

User Info Menu

I'm all for analyzing each example and exercise, but I'm not sure I understand what your intent is with those charts.

I'm all for analyzing each example and exercise, but I'm not sure I understand what your intent is with those charts.
    The idea is to communicate among ourselves the analyzes and the utilities that we see in the examples and exercises. I thought that this would make the information clearer, but perhaps it is very cumbersome and it is more operative to write the conclusions in posts. What is your opinion?

User Info Menu

Hi guys, I think that I will jump in around Exercise #5. In the meantime, I made a iReal Pro backing track for the first exercise which I am happy to share if anyone is interested.

I have quite proficient at making backing tracks on iReal Pro, if anyone feels that they would be helpful, just let me know and I can make them for you.

AA

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Hi guys, I think that I will jump in around Exercise #5. In the meantime, I made a iReal Pro backing track for the first exercise which I am happy to share if anyone is interested.

I have quite proficient at making backing tracks on iReal Pro, if anyone feels that they would be helpful, just let me know and I can make them for you.

AA

Great. This sound fantastic! I hope you share your backing track with us, thank you very much.
    Please, keep with us until the moment to join us in the n. 5!

User Info Menu

The idea is to communicate among ourselves the analyzes and the utilities that we see in the examples and exercises. I thought that this would make the information clearer, but perhaps it is very cumbersome and it is more operative to write the conclusions in posts. What is your opinion?

That much makes sense, but I wasn't sure how you wanted to transfer the information into those charts.

Are you wanting to analyze each note in each measure?

I tend to see these examples and exercises as being built from discrete chunks. For example:

Ex. 1

line 1 (Cmaj7) is just a C major scale sequence descending to land on the 6th degree.

Line 2 (Ebmaj7) descends chromatically from the 5th degree to the 3rd degree, then straight down the Eb major scale to the 6th, and culminating in a Bdim7 arpeggio that resolves back to the 3rd degree. The diminished arpeggio is from the #5th/b6th degree which is enharmonically equivalent to Ddim7 leading up a half step to Ebmaj7.

I’ve written some notes in the documents above linked for show my idea of sharing analysis. If you consider not useful, please, let me know for use the normal post.

I don’t understand the Ex. 1a (Ebmaj), I think this two bars can be played starting with the finger 2 and staying in 7th position.

That much makes sense, but I wasn't sure how you wanted to transfer the information into those charts.

Are you wanting to analyze each note in each measure?

I tend to see these examples and exercises as being built from discrete chunks. For example:

Ex. 1

line 1 (Cmaj7) is just a C major scale sequence descending to land on the 6th degree.

Line 2 (Ebmaj7) descends chromatically from the 5th degree to the 3rd degree, then straight down the Eb major scale to the 6th, and culminating in a Bdim7 arpeggio that resolves back to the 3rd degree. The diminished arpeggio is from the #5th/b6th degree which is enharmonically equivalent to Ddim7 leading up a half step to Ebmaj7.

I found your analysis quite complete for our proposal. We can share our experiences and points of view here and as we advance I can copy the content in the charts, so we can have this reference in a future.

User Info Menu

Great. This sound fantastic! I hope you share your backing track with us, thank you very much.
    Please, keep with us until the moment to join us in the n. 5!
    It looks like the only way to share is via email.
    Let me know if you would like me to email you a copy of the iReal Pro Backing tracks for Page 4 by sending me a direct message with your email address.

AA