The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 141

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This is a good one to just sing a reduced melody along with. Like just long tones on the A section, 2 bars Eb, 2 bars Db, 1 bar C, one bar B, one bar Bb...

Just sing that along with Moreno, or even Lund, and you can hear the ideas better, I think.
    Singing or humming the melody is something I also do for a solo performance that uses a lot of single lines (or a saxophone solo as you mentioned previously).

I can see some people saying that it shouldn't be "necessary" for one to sing or hum the melody to "hear the ideas better". I.e., that listening to music should not take too-much effort. While I get that, doing so on the rare occasion, allows me to really enjoy the playing when I listen to the song again (picking up more and more of what the player is doing after each listening).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK !
    I wasn't alone but I did it !

User Info Menu

Well done Lionel, that was an excellent job - I know how difficult it is to play along to it! Nice bass sound too.

I see you also ran into that strange bit in the middle where Mike goes a bit weird, I think he accidentally inserts an extra beat or something. I had to really concentrate on that bit, whatever I did didn’t quite fit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well done Lionel, that was an excellent job - I know how difficult it is to play along to it! Nice bass sound too.

I see you also ran into that strange bit in the middle where Mike goes a bit weird, I think he inserts an extra beat or something. I had to really concentrate on that bit, whatever I did didn’t quite fit!
    Thanks ! I'm honoured you listened to it and kind enjoyed.
    I listened to your track carefully, although there is a kind of flexibility, the guy keeps the beat.
    In fact he added 2 or 4 beats, something weird, he is rushing but keeps the beat.
    He also adds a cue, I don't know the word.
    Extra turnaround iii VI ii V two or three times and a suspended thing.
    His solo is not so weird, for me it fits.
    As you understood I had some problems but I did it.
    For the bass sound, I try to emulate an upright bass.
    Thanks for your kind comment.

User Info Menu

Yes he did the extended turnaround twice, I believe it’s usually called a ‘tag’. In Miles’ version I think they did that at the end of each person’s solo, then again after the final melody statement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    OK !
    I wasn't alone but I did it !
    Approx.
    You did it and congratulations.
    The beginning is very good /head/.
    Then I have a problem, who to listen to?
    You play in your time and the guitar sometimes feels like it's in its time.
    I can imagine such a duo recording.
    Probably the guitarist would be controlled by the bass time.
    Then they would control each other.
    Overdubbing bass to a solo guitarist is very difficult.
    Obviously this is for educational purposes, you did it very well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Approx.
    You did it and congratulations.
    The beginning is very good /head/.
    Then I have a problem, who to listen to?
    You play in your time and the guitar sometimes feels like it's in its time.
    I can imagine such a duo recording.
    Probably the guitarist would be controlled by the bass time.
    Then they would control each other.
    Overdubbing bass to a solo guitarist is very difficult.
    Obviously this is for educational purposes, you did it very well!
    You should try it ! It's funny !
    If you want to sleep, this is a simple one.
    I hate this style of comping...
    Maybe ragman1 will comment it.

User Info Menu

Good basics are the most important!
    I played "Green Street" at a jam session not too long ago.

User Info Menu

I hate this style of comping...
    Maybe ragman1 will comment it.
    Okay. Well, it seems like you're trying to make the up-strokes the same volume as the down-strokes. Which I don't mind because it gives a sort of continuous flowing feel to the backing.

On the other hand, maybe that's not actually what you want to do and you're simply not putting enough emphasis on the strong beats. Which is okay too, of course.

Whatever the style you're aiming for, the one thing I think compers should never do is what happens at 1.12 where you break the rhythm. To my ear that sounds amateurish, distracts the soloist and is just not good comping.

Apart from that, wonderful :-)

User Info Menu

But I did like this one. It's got a certain je-ne-sais-quoi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Okay. Well, it seems like you're trying to make the up-strokes the same volume as the down-strokes. Which I don't mind because it gives a sort of continuous flowing feel to the backing.

On the other hand, maybe that's not actually what you want to do and you're simply not putting enough emphasis on the strong beats. Which is okay too, of course.

Whatever the style you're aiming for, the one thing I think compers should never do is what happens at 1.12 where you break the rhythm. To my ear that sounds amateurish, distracts the soloist and is just not good comping.

Apart from that, wonderful :-)
    Yes ! 6.00 AM comping style !

User Info Menu

But I did like this one. It's got a certain je-ne-sais-quoi

I didn't know you played the bass !
    I like it, does the guitarist play the changes ? Chord changes... How do you call this ?

User Info Menu

I like it, does the guitarist play the changes ? Chord changes... How do you call this ?
    Ragman has a great sound on this bass.
    He should always play the bass guitar.
    Artificially lowering an octave down /by software/ the guitar strings of acoustic guitar is not that-it is not clear and there is no dynamics.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'm a very boring player, I just play the tune. But you would notice if the bass wasn't there, definitely.

User Info Menu

I'm a very boring player, I just play the tune. But you would notice if the bass wasn't there, definitely.

I'm glad to know I'm your main influence !

User Info Menu

I used to play bass for a rock n roll band. It was good fun. Lots of 12-bar shuffles in E and A. Jazz is a little different...

User Info Menu

This guy seems to be able to follow Mr Moreno pretty well:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    This guy seems to be able to follow Mr Moreno pretty well:

I really loved it !
    They don't follow each other, they play together.
    When someone plays a solo normally he is not following the one who is comping, normally they listen to each other and react.
    You follow when it's a backing track about a tune you don't know very well or with an Aebersold (I think they are real sessions and they deleted the soloists).
    I tried to follow him, that's true !
    A saxophonist and any instrumentalist doesn't really need other musicians if he's got the tune in his head.
    Performing with people is like sharing feelings and being able to be surprised and react.

User Info Menu

Yeah...I wasn't thinking of being able to follow like a leader and a follower. More like being able to follow or understand a line of thought. Which is what group improv is largely about.

Glad you liked it! I was thinking the OP needs to get to know the tune a bit more, and a great way to do that is to listen to various takes on it. Check out Trane on his last Euro tour with Miles, or Wayne a couple of years after. They kinda blow the doors off this one...

User Info Menu

This guy seems to be able to follow Mr Moreno pretty well
    Because they worked it out beforehand. They didn't start the tune till about 1.30!

And it wasn't coinciding that well, either. You can get away with an awful lot with sax and a guitar. If you listen closely.

User Info Menu

Because they worked it out beforehand. They didn't start the tune till about 1.30!

And it wasn't coinciding that well, either. You can get away with an awful lot with sax and a guitar. If you listen closely.
    Poor ragman1 !
    They repeat the first 8 bars of the tune.
    It's an intro !

User Info Menu

Which they worked out beforehand. But you're missing the point.

User Info Menu

Don't look at the point, look at the picture !

User Info Menu

What did they get away with?