The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Hi!

Blue Bossa is great piece for practicing key change in soloing because there's only one and the piece is fairly simple in other terms too. In this solo I tried to make the shift as natural I could and use beautiful but interisting lines. I hope you like it!

Kindest, Mikko

Blue Bossa - Solo - YouTube

Lähetetty minun SM-A035G laitteesta Tapatalkilla

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It is indeed a great piece, I find the Brazilian rhythms much more enjoyable to solo over than other standards’ backing tracks, where I just seem to end up knocking out 8th notes ad infinitum. Search YouTube for ‘blue bossa backing track 150bpm’, the faster pace is a lot of fun to get yourself in and out of traps with.

The key change is pretty easy to negotiate. As it comes after the resolution to the 1 of the minor 251, most things I hear, people seem to take a little break then start off again in the new key.

Nice playing on the video, it’s more of a demo than a lesson though, the only thing u can really concretely take from it is to take a breather after a hard part.... I’m all for that, both for the player’s benefit and the listener, so they can take in what you just did.

Never seen a guitar like that before also, what is it, like nylon strings with a microphone pick up on it? Sounds good whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKong
    It is indeed a great piece, I find the Brazilian rhythms much more enjoyable to solo over than other standards’ backing tracks, where I just seem to end up knocking out 8th notes ad infinitum. Search YouTube for ‘blue bossa backing track 150bpm’, the faster pace is a lot of fun to get yourself in and out of traps with.

The key change is pretty easy to negotiate. As it comes after the resolution to the 1 of the minor 251, most things I hear, people seem to take a little break then start off again in the new key.

Nice playing on the video, it’s more of a demo than a lesson though, the only thing u can really concretely take from it is to take a breather after a hard part.... I’m all for that, both for the player’s benefit and the listener, so they can take in what you just did.

Never seen a guitar like that before also, what is it, like nylon strings with a microphone pick up on it? Sounds good whatever it is.
    Thank you very much!
    The guitar is Yamaha's silent guitar I have little bit modified. It has nylon strings and pickup.

-Mikko

User Info Menu

Blue Bossa has that classic, memorable, jazz melody, at least for me it does. I just can not get enough!

User Info Menu

Great tune. It occurs to me the harmonic motion from Db to II/V of C minor is analogous to several moments in Falling Grace, including the first 4 bars. I wrote about this recently in another post so it is top of mind.

Db major is not so distant to C minor when you think about it, but we tend to think of key centers separated by a half step as completely unrelated.

Re: the clip. Nice playing. To my ear the transition to Db major was a bit jarring - my ear wants to hear natural rather than altered material there. But that's a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
    Great tune. It occurs to me the harmonic motion from Db to II/V of C minor is analogous to several moments in Falling Grace, including the first 4 bars. I wrote about this recently in another post so it is top of mind.

Db major is not so distant to C minor when you think about it, but we tend to think of key centers separated by a half step as completely unrelated.

Re: the clip. Nice playing. To my ear the transition to Db major was a bit jarring - my ear wants to hear natural rather than altered material there. But that's a matter of taste.
    Thank you for the feedback! I could have made that key change more natural. I might thought that what I played kind of gave something new to the solo before it.

Cheers, Mikko

User Info Menu

yea that change is really very natural, and there are a bunch of ways to functionally connect, right. The relative Maj. of Cmin. is Ebmaj. and then parallel min. of Ebmaj. is Ebmin. which becomes the II-7 V7 of Db. That's pretty basic maj/min functional borrowing. But wait there's more.... LOL

I didn't read your post Running Beagle... I know you seem to have your functional concepts together... sorry if I'm repeating etc... I to bII obviously has many options for relationships.

I like your lines Mikko, and playing in general... Blue Bossa is great tune for actually opening up and taking a bunch of choruses.... how or where would you go with those ideas... do you develope that B or MM relationship and open up MM relationships with each chord ?