The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lovely as always Mark.

What are you thinking as you improvise a piece like this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Lovely as always Mark.

What are you thinking as you improvise a piece like this?
    Im not really thinking much- mostly keeping focussed on each moment. There’s a small part of my conscious self that’s keeping track of things like how long have I been playing, am I feeling ok physically (hand pain etc) and if the general vibe is happening. I notice every little flaw as they happen, but developed a good sense of “fuck it-just keep going” to counteract any negativity that could otherwise cascade and crater the experience. I notice themes emerging and sometimes will intentionally repeat something or refer back to it later. Key changes, intentional or accidental, tempos. It’s all kind of like a dream….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Im not really thinking much- mostly keeping focussed on each moment. There’s a small part of my conscious self that’s keeping track of things like how long have I been playing, am I feeling ok physically (hand pain etc) and if the general vibe is happening. I notice every little flaw as they happen, but developed a good sense of “fuck it-just keep going” to counteract any negativity that could otherwise cascade and crater the experience. I notice themes emerging and sometimes will intentionally repeat something or refer back to it later. Key changes, intentional or accidental, tempos. It’s all kind of like a dream….
    Very cool! I am very very new to Jazz playing. In other genres I can freeflow a pretty cool song. With jazz I'm just beginning to have enough sense and the "ear" to flow very simply. What you are doing is phenomenal and I'm so grateful you are sharing this with us. It's inspiring to a new jazzer like me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    Very cool! I am very very new to Jazz playing. In other genres I can freeflow a pretty cool song. With jazz I'm just beginning to have enough sense and the "ear" to flow very simply. What you are doing is phenomenal and I'm so grateful you are sharing this with us. It's inspiring to a new jazzer like me
    Thanks for dialing in and for your feedback. When you’re new to jazz, or any genre for that matter, you really have a mountain of material to climb and so much to absorb. There’s a tendency among jazz educators to push the dogma that you must master the forms and repertoire, learn the vocabulary BEFORE you go off on your own with these kinds of experiments. They may insist this is a distraction from your musical education, takes time away from “real” practicing and won’t help you reach your goals. I’ve heard it called wanking, self-indulgence, fucking around and any number of things. Now, I’ve been playing for more than 50 years, have a music degree from Rutgers, know hundreds of jazz standards by heart and can play them in any key, but I’ve ALWAYS incorporated this sort of Freeform work into my practice time since the very beginning. Always on parallel tracks with formal study and always as a way to connect with the inner voice, the sound, inspiration and very motivation for playing. My best advice is to always question authority and pay attention to what feels right for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Thanks for dialing in and for your feedback. When you’re new to jazz, or any genre for that matter, you really have a mountain of material to climb and so much to absorb. There’s a tendency among jazz educators to push the dogma that you must master the forms and repertoire, learn the vocabulary BEFORE you go off on your own with these kinds of experiments. They may insist this is a distraction from your musical education, takes time away from “real” practicing and won’t help you reach your goals. I’ve heard it called wanking, self-indulgence, fucking around and any number of things. Now, I’ve been playing for more than 50 years, have a music degree from Rutgers, know hundreds of jazz standards by heart and can play them in any key, but I’ve ALWAYS incorporated this sort of Freeform work into my practice time since the very beginning. Always on parallel tracks with formal study and always as a way to connect with the inner voice, the sound, inspiration and very motivation for playing. My best advice is to always question authority and pay attention to what feels right for you.
    just to clarify one thing that can be lost when I advocate for Freeform- you ALSO have to learn the theory and repertoire of your chosen genre, do the exercises, practice the fundamentals and master the techniques. Work both sides! Work!

User Info Menu

Mark: do feel like your time away from the pick did your finger-style some good? Seems like it to me. The work never ends!

Also, I'm digging the rhythm in your recent posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Mark: do feel like your time away from the pick did your finger-style some good? Seems like it to me. The work never ends!

Also, I'm digging the rhythm in your recent posts.
    Thanks, the injury last year changed things and while adapting opened some new avenues, I wouldn’t do that again if I can help it. Glad you watched as I expect our geographies are such that a life performance would never happen!