The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The entirely improvised song is played fingerstyle.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Almost sounded like a nylon string guitar. Mellow tone. Like something someone would be playing at a Renaissance festival.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Almost sounded like a nylon string guitar. Mellow tone. Like something someone would be playing at a Renaissance festival.
    Thank you so much DawgBone. I find that placing the mic between the soundhole and the neck joint and slightly below it gives a good balance with not too much of the string noise. Though I'm sure classical guitarists would be mad at me if I played a nylon string with fingerpicks. If they weren't already enraged by the occasional thumb fretting. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    Thank you so much DawgBone. I find that placing the mic between the soundhole and the neck joint and slightly below it gives a good balance with not too much of the string noise. Though I'm sure classical guitarists would be mad at me if I played a nylon string with fingerpicks. If they weren't already enraged by the occasional thumb fretting. lol
    Haha.

Your mic positioning has been noted for future reference. I've always done the behind the bridge or in front of the 12th fret area technique. We are doing some home recording here for my ol' lady so I think we might have to give that placement a shot soon. You had virtually no string noise. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Haha.

Your mic positioning has been noted for future reference. I've always done the behind the bridge or in front of the 12th fret area technique. We are doing some home recording here for my ol' lady so I think we might have to give that placement a shot soon. You had virtually no string noise. Thanks!
    Some guitars are duller sounding (often these are slope D Gibson J-style ones), they like it more towards the neck, somewhere right at the neck joint. It also depends on the pick, but the more high end sizzle you want, the more you move it towards the headstock. The distance is around 1 - 1.5 feet from the guitar (this works great with amp cabs as well, when miking them with large diaphragm condensers). For stereo, the vertical techniques like the Eric Valentine style miking can give a nice low to high spectrum from left to right, similar to a stereo piano sound. Pan the top mic left, the bottom one right. Their angle is 90° to each other, and 45° to the center plane. You can then move the pair to fine tune the tonal balance.