The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: In your average gig, how often do you feel inspired?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

3 9.68%
  • Most of the time

8 25.81%
  • Sometimes

17 54.84%
  • Very rarely

3 9.68%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    It's terribly important not to judge your own playing while actually doing it. Save that for the practice room...
    This is a fact that gets forgotten and deserves a t-shirt.

But on the other hand, (derailing), when practicing, can you judge yourself correctly when you play and listen it back later? Do your judgements match before and after?

And derail away - this thread is loosey goosey. Because the topic is misty. Or.. murky.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    This is a fact that gets forgotten and deserves a t-shirt.

But on the other hand, (derailing), when practicing, can you judge yourself correctly when you play and listen it back later? Do your judgements match before and after?

And derail away - this thread is loosey goosey. Because the topic is misty. Or.. murky.
    I see it as a feedback process; learning to relate what you feel to what you do. Recording yourself during practice is a good idea.

Christian, do your's match - initial vs. feedback. Not judgin, only curious.

User Info Menu

If I’m not feeling inspired I don’t play. End of story.

How do you know when not feeling it?

I mean, I don't. I have to pick up the guitar to know. And play for a while to be sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    How do you know when not feeling it?
    Well, feeling and knowing are different dimensions of the brain, so do we ever know what we feel? Can we feel what we know? They’re as intertwined as time and space, me thinks. Anyway, enough with the philosophy. Reality: If I’m not feeling inspired to play I don’t pick it up in the first place. Once I’m playing, if the inspiration wanes I put it down. That’s all I meant.

I believe a level 1 of inspiration "makes sense, worth to listen" could be switched on somehow at will. But cant find the switch. It's just so random.
    And also, a little bit of practical philosophy could be helpful in this case.

I watched Rick&Morty for a while. Got really amused. A few very clever episodes there.
    Hm... the practice solo test run felt good just after that.

I think that might be it. When wanting to have a bit more spark on soloing at home, get your excitement levels up with something very cool but "off topic" before that.
    I also had a numb and almost useless practice before that. So... maybe this idea actually works?

User Info Menu

Inspiration while practicing is learning or discovering something new; you should always practice until you do.
    Inspiration during performance is suddenly having absolute confidence in something new about to be played.