The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

It appears that interest in the VJ has waned to the point of administering last rites. Before calling clergy, is there any point to discussing it further? I was the only contributor to #96 in a week, and there's been no discussion of doing #97. Was the tune the problem? Is it just the holiday season's demands on everybody? Is it even worth asking for ideas or suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Virtual Jam worked well during the Covid pandemic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Virtual Jam worked well during the Covid pandemic.
    Are you suggesting that because Covid is no longer keeping people at home there's no reason to continue the VJ, Kris?

User Info Menu

I like the tunes, discussions, and hearing people's takes, but I don't like putting up mediocre clips of myself on short notice. The standards thread is more my jam because I get a bit of time to work out the tune. Although even if I don't participate, I always pop in to see what everyone's up to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I like the tunes, discussions, and hearing people's takes, but I don't like putting up mediocre clips of myself on short notice. The standards thread is more my jam because I get a bit of time to work out the tune. Although even if I don't participate, I always pop in to see what everyone's up to.
    I have some reservations about airing my dirty laundry in public too. But it’s been a big help to me in finding my weak spots when pushed. Playing totally unplanned takes reveals the cliches that I fall into when I’m not focused enough on the tune (or when I hit a spot that I’m not fully prepared to fill well). And it slowed me down when I realized that I don’t take enough time to build my solos and lines.

So I find the spontaneity to be helpful. But I don’t like laying out my clams for the world to see. So I understand your thoughts well. Do you have any ideas to make the VJ better, or do you think we should drop it?

User Info Menu

I didn’t have time to spend with the tune this week. Next week should be better for me. I’m happy to put up one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I didn’t have time to spend with the tune this week. Next week should be better for me. I’m happy to put up one.
    Same here, just a hectic week for me. I plan to continue to regularly participate. I even worked on the tune, just didn't get around to recording it.

User Info Menu

^ That's the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Do you have any ideas to make the VJ better, or do you think we should drop it?
    I think it's fine to keep it going even if it has low participation sometimes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    At the moment, it's nevershouldhavesoldit who's pushing for this to be resolved so he can lead it.
    We all appreciate your input, and I suspect that we share your thoughts with one exception - I have no desire to “lead”, as you put it. I only stepped forward when a Thursday came and faded into a Saturday with no new tune from anyone. The same thing happened this week, which passed with no improv posted except mine.

If we’re going to let it die, so be it. But if there’s still a desire for it, I’m happy to rotate posting the tune of the week (or two weeks, which is also fine with me) with others. I really enjoy participating and hope my doing so brings something positive to the rest of you. But I’m not seeking responsibility for this - I’m very happy to join in, but I have enough must-dos to keep me occupied.

I do wonder how many JGO regulars even know about the VJ forum or what it’s about. Maybe a simple blast post on all the relevant forums would raise awareness, interest and participation.

David

User Info Menu

With what seems like three committed or semi-committed posters in total, we have to be prepared for weeks where not all of us post. When we had 10 or so regulars, three people not posting didn’t have much of an effect. If three out of three don’t post in a given week, it’s dead in the water that week, with little momentum moving forward into the next week.

It does feel like this thing has sputtering along on life support for a couple of months. I’ll continue to contribute as long as someone is posting tunes, but I can’t commit to posting tunes myself, and I don’t blame anyone if they feel it’s no longer worth the effort to post the tunes.

I’ll take a gander here and propose that what finally killed this group was the incessant bickering about whether or not this is truly a jam, etc. No one wants to read that crap week in and week out.

User Info Menu

So there's only three people doing it and no one wants to organise it... no wonder it's dead in the water! Up to you, isn't it? No other answer.

User Info Menu

So there's only three people doing it and no one wants to organise it... no wonder it's dead in the water! Up to you, isn't it? No other answer.
    Like I said, I’m fine with that. Either way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I’ll take a gander here and propose that what finally killed this group was the incessant bickering about whether or not this is truly a jam, etc. No one wants to read that crap week in and week out.
    Yep, that’s what did me in. Also TBF I was mainly using the VJ as a therapeutic tool while recovering from surgery, so I did find it useful, but could certainly have done without all the extra white noise.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Hey, you boys should move to China right away. Seriously draconian Covid lockdown... perfect conditions for a thriving, healthy Virtual Jam!

User Info Menu

I’m not going to go through another round of debate and recrimination. I tried to keep it going by posting more tunes to play after the last one, but clearly the interest is not there. It was fun, but it has run its course.

User Info Menu

FWIW, I always enjoyed listening to people's contributions. I would have liked to join in more, but I'm not yet skilled enough to make a decent stab at a new tune without significant practice first, and I just don't have the time for that on top of the tune I work on for my weekly lessons.

User Info Menu

Yea... the old Practical standards thread we started years years ago worked well because we also broke the tunes down, made analysis and how to play the tunes.

The point wasn't just to play through different tunes, we tried to understand the tunes... all the theory BS. And learn how to get better at playing through tunes.

User Info Menu

Hey, you boys should move to China right away. Seriously draconian Covid lockdown... perfect conditions for a thriving, healthy Virtual Jam!
    Oh yea thats the way to go . If you can’t beat em join em. Anyway Rag as they seem to call you , How does the V jam work . Sorry if its spelled out clearly somewhere. Also where is your old tune of the month I think you called it? you are a master of this medium so just guide me a bit please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chad26
    Oh yea thats the way to go . If you can’t beat em join em. Anyway Rag as they seem to call you , How does the V jam work . Sorry if its spelled out clearly somewhere. Also where is your old tune of the month I think you called it? you are a master of this medium so just guide me a bit please.
    It doesn't work, it's redundant. It died after the Covid crisis passed. It was kept alive for a while on life support but eventually succumbed to natural causes. Sorry about that

There is, however, another series of threads in the 'Songs' folder which puts up a new song every month. Players just post their versions of it and hope for lots of likes and feedback. The current one is:

November 2022 - You Stepped Out of a Dream

There'll be a new one for December very soon. Keep an eye out for it if you're interested.

User Info Menu

There is, however, another series of threads in the 'Songs' folder which puts up a new song every month. Players just post their versions of it and hope for lots of likes and feedback. The current one is:

November 2022 - You Stepped Out of a Dream

There'll be a new one for December very soon. Keep an eye out for it if you're interested.
    Ummmm - there are only 2 posts in the November Practical Standards thread in a month, one on Nov 2 and one on the 17th. So I don't think we can consider that one any more successful than the VJ.

User Info Menu

Did I say it was more successful? It was actually very popular when it first began in 2010 but that dwindled slowly over time. But at least it's still going!

If you miss playing and posting songs, which I think you do, why not use it yourself? I've got a feeling, judging from your previous song choices, that the tunes posted there are more your cup of tea anyway.

By the way, are you aware of this?

Post your faves here!

I just started this because I think it's a good idea. Instead of being given a song you might not fancy much, choose your own. Everybody plays songs they love well. It could be a really nice thread.

User Info Menu

Well maybe it is the person leading the thread.... I think I'll try and get it going again after the end of the year.
    I'll have some time.... and I can easily make possible analysis with possible approaches for how to play in real time LOL.

I have wanted to get back into the thread or start a new one.... with much more info for how to comp in different jazz styles and how that can influence how one might solo etc...

I don't mean to imply that the thread was not being lead well... it was, great job.... it's just most players need more... theoretical info that can be seen and heard when playing without rehearsing etc...

thanks
    Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Well maybe it is the person leading the thread.... I think I'll try and get it going again after the end of the year.
    I'll have some time.... and I can easily make possible analysis with possible approaches for how to play in real time LOL.

I have wanted to get back into the thread or start a new one.... with much more info for how to comp in different jazz styles and how that can influence how one might solo etc...

I don't mean to imply that the thread was not being lead well... it was, great job.... it's just most players need more... theoretical info that can be seen and heard when playing without rehearsing etc...

thanks
    Reg
    Could be a cool idea to tightly focus on just one concept for a new tune every month—let everyone shed that month's tune using what they've learned about that one concept. You know, keep it really limited to avoid overload, but presented in such a way that folks of all skill levels can glean something from it. People could post "in progress" clips while they work on the tune, then at the end of the month, folks post a final recording that showcases what they've learned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Could be a cool idea to tightly focus on just one concept for a new tune every month—let everyone shed that month's tune using what they've learned about that one concept. You know, keep it really limited to avoid overload, but presented in such a way that folks of all skill levels can glean something from it. People could post "in progress" clips while they work on the tune, then at the end of the month, folks post a final recording that showcases what they've learned.
    When I have time available, that would totally work for me. I can play but wish to play better jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Well maybe it is the person leading the thread....
    No one was leading it, Reg. Jeff started it and provided feedback so he was maybe the last leader. I took it over but only in an administrative capacity. I just posted up the tunes, that's all.

Perhaps it does need a leader to inspire and encourage, I don't know. I'm a bit wary of all that stuff myself :-)

The Future of the Virtual Jam-images-jpg