The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 71

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    DOODES Subtitles, please! Or at least de-fang the dialect, like they did for Mr. “Scotland Forever”, Sean Connery, after he spent too much time in Beverly Hills and became comprehendible.

I’ve decided that “Get Stuck in Lads” has a jazz equivalent: HIT THE WOODSHED. The Theatre of Dreams is actually in the Ozarks, after Papa Jo gave Bird the “Sir Red Nose Hairdryer” treatment and hurled his cymbal for a real ride.

N.B. This must have something to do with how the UK handles traffic violations for people who steal hubcaps.
    Attached Images Attached Images Quick start guide to Barry Harris line building-e183225f-57b2-4b3b-b7f8-797d9dffd18b-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Arsenal always think they can walk it in

User Info Menu

Barry was from Detroit - he was a Tigers fan. Get with it you yobs.

Footy my ass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone

Footy my ass.
    What is tigers?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Catchy!

User Info Menu

Catchy!
    I know right?

User Info Menu

Footy my ass.
    Barry would be appalled at the Little League aesthetics of the new Tigers Stadium. Why is there a “dirt strip” between the mound and home plate? So there is a clear path between pitcher and catcher when they need to conference, like we’re dealing with Bad News Bears.

“- Coach Morris Buttermaker: Come on, fellas. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    - Ogilvie: Yeah, it took several hundred years.”

“- Coach Morris Buttermaker: There was nothing easy about those fly balls, Ahmad. They were tough chances! The sun was in your eyes!
    - Ahmad Abdul Rahim: Don't give me none of your honky bullshit, Buttermaker. I know they were easy.“

“- Engelberg: You're not supposed to have open liquor in the car. It's against the law.
    - Coach Morris Buttermaker: So is murder, Engleberg. Now put that back before you get me in real trouble.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    DOODES Subtitles, please! Or at least de-fang the dialect, like they did for Mr. “Scotland Forever”, Sean Connery, after he spent too much time in Beverly Hills and became comprehendible.

I’ve decided that “Get Stuck in Lads” has a jazz equivalent: HIT THE WOODSHED. The Theatre of Dreams is actually in the Ozarks, after Papa Jo gave Bird the “Sir Red Nose Hairdryer” treatment and hurled his cymbal for a real ride.

N.B. This must have something to do with how the UK handles traffic violations for people who steal hubcaps.
    Get those FCKin’ umlauts right: It’s either “Jürgen Klopp” or at least “Juergen Klopp”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Get those FCKin’ umlauts right: It’s either “Jürgen Klopp” or at least “Juergen Klopp”.
    You expect credible grammar from the Scouser who created this meme? That’s actually wholesome content, good on ya.

Not only just we play standards, we must have standards

User Info Menu

You expect credible grammar from the Scouser who created this meme? That’s actually wholesome content, good on ya.

Not only just we play standards, we must have standards
    I insist in correct umlauts. I used to listen to Motörhead and Mötley Crüe. And I am getting pigeon-holed as one of the töfü-eäting and Güärdiän reäding wökeräti.

User Info Menu

back on point: so many different ways to create lines

1. Half step rule to make chord tones lie on the downbeat
    2. Half step rule at any place, except where there is no half step possible (E and F; B and C), in which case, go up a scale step before going to the half step (E-G-F; B-D-C)
    3. 5432 lines
    4. Pasquale’s 4 note patterns depending on whether the starting note is named fir. a Major or Minor chord (C in the key of C: Ascending: C-D-Eb-E; Descending: E-D-Db-C; D in the key of C: D-Eb-E-F; descending: F-E-Eb-D).
    D. Any of 1-4, but landing on note associated with the diminished chord, which allows you to ascend or descend in Ems or in tritones. D-Eb-E-F-Ab-B-D or D-Eb-E-F-Ab-B-F).

Infinite pathways and possibilities.

User Info Menu

back on point: so many different ways to create lines

1. Half step rule to make chord tones lie on the downbeat
    2. Half step rule at any place, except where there is no half step possible (E and F; B and C), in which case, go up a scale step before going to the half step (E-G-F; B-D-C)
    3. 5432 lines
    4. Pasquale’s 4 note patterns depending on whether the starting note is named fir. a Major or Minor chord (C in the key of C: Ascending: C-D-Eb-E; Descending: E-D-Db-C; D in the key of C: D-Eb-E-F; descending: F-E-Eb-D).
    D. Any of 1-4, but landing on note associated with the diminished chord, which allows you to ascend or descend in Ems or in tritones. D-Eb-E-F-Ab-B-D or D-Eb-E-F-Ab-B-F).

Infinite pathways and possibilities.
    I’ll add:

User Info Menu

Ball ball ball, footy footy footy!

User Info Menu

Bäll bäll bäll, fööty fööty fööty!

User Info Menu

Mätter of cönscience: Chürch of Märadönna or Chürch of Cölträne? Or böth? Or nöne?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Bäll bäll bäll, fööty fööty fööty!
    Your MANN before he gets the SCHAFT when Liverpool barely avoids relegation this year.

User Info Menu

Christian, what material do you have for melody exercises combining scales and arpeggios? Do you have any combining scales, arpeggios, and intervals? I want to get some of these things in my muscle memory.

User Info Menu

Seventh Scale
    Four Note Chords on each degree
    On the upbeat - Half-Step below - Triplet up a Four Note Chord
    Descend using the Half-Step Rule(s) for the TOP NOTE of the Four Note Chord

When you get to the DOMINANT'S 5th/3rd/b2nd run up a Diminished Chord.

Resolve.

We could find variations for years.

User Info Menu

The 8th note on the upbeat into an 8th note triplet followed by at least two 8th notes (or a venerable army of 8th notes) is a very bebop way of starting phrases. It actually fits a vocal pneumonic: the intro to “Blues in the Night”

“MY MAMA DONE TOLD ME—-“

Mama Done is phrased like a triplet. I found using that pneumonic to be helpful in internalizing the concept.

User Info Menu

The 8th note on the upbeat into an 8th note triplet followed by at least two 8th notes (or a venerable army of 8th notes) is a very bebop way of starting phrases. It actually fits a vocal pneumonic: the intro to “Blues in the Night”

“MY MAMA DONE TOLD ME—-“

Mama Done is phrased like a triplet. I found using that pneumonic to be helpful in internalizing the concept.
    oh nice! Yes of course. I’m nicking that :-) thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Christian, what material do you have for melody exercises combining scales and arpeggios? Do you have any combining scales, arpeggios, and intervals? I want to get some of these things in my muscle memory.
    this being a beginner vid I didn’t want to include too much stuff, but there’s loads of stuff.

of course you can use any of the intervallic patterns you like - thirds, fourths etc through the dominant scale, and connect to the next chord using, say, 2 beats of a dim7 in the usual way. A good practice vehicle for this I always find is the B from rhythm changes; or Sweet Georgia Brown

Anyway if you are getting tired of the up the arp down the scale sort of thing, one great way to kick it up a notch is to use a pivot, where we octave displace one or more notes of a four note chord for instance (though you could equally use this for scales, think Bach)

If you take a maj7 arp and put the first note up an octave, but you can do this with any four note chord, including dim7. (If that’s not clear it would be easier to write out some examples.)

This does a lot to make lines sound less predictable and more interesting

User Info Menu

“MY MAMA DONE TOLD ME—-“

i do hope you mean mnemonic. as a bopper i like "my analyst told me" (anyone?)

in general you could do much worse than memorizing all those eddie jefferson vocalese versions. it's at least as useful as transcribing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i do hope you mean mnemonic. as a bopper i like "my analyst told me" (anyone?)

in general you could do much worse than memorizing all those eddie jefferson vocalese versions. it's at least as useful as transcribing.
    That sounds like fun. Is there a resource for learning them (method book, for eg. There is always a method book).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro