The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

All right, so enough already with the bellyaching and bemoaning from your keyboard. Do it the right way with the blues.

If you’re in you’re in, if you’re not you’re not.

No chart. It’s the blues. Figure the head out (or not) by ear.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 92) - Sonnymoon for Two-27f661c5-6026-4099-9c77-db72243ce529-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Without further ado …

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I just returned from a 16 day trip Friday (with no guitar) and have gig 2 tonight of 6 this week. I’m still learning the song lists, but I’ll try to post a take here by Wed.

Thx for keeping it going - I’ll try to start one every few weeks too.

User Info Menu

Nothing and it is not Sonnymoon...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Since it's a blues, I'll give it a shot!

It's a little rougher than I would like, but spontaneous aside from the melody.

I'm okay with comments or criticisms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Since it's a blues, I'll give it a shot!

It's a little rougher than I would like, but spontaneous aside from the melody.

I'm okay with comments or criticisms
    Welcome aboard—fresh meat always appreciated. Nice guitar—you're making me "pine" for the pine Am Pro II Tele I sold just last week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Welcome aboard—fresh meat always appreciated. Nice guitar—you're making me "pine" for the pine Am Pro II Tele I sold just last week.
    Thanks. I love this guitar. I will be hanging on to mine. I'm stringing it with DR Pure Blues9-42's so it is super easy to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Welcome back alpop.

Thanks, you must have a good memory. I contributed to Whisper Not (Jam #1) and missed the next 90! LOL

User Info Menu

Haha, I remember you on the standards thread.

User Info Menu

2nd try.

User Info Menu

And the Sunnymoon is over - I have to get back to work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    And the Sunnymoon is over - I have to get back to work

Really nice! I listened more than once and enjoyed your chord work and easy flow of ideas. Did you play the bass yourself?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Really nice! I listened more than once and enjoyed your chord work and easy flow of ideas. Did you play the bass yourself?
    Thanks! That’s a generic Bb blues track from “Mr Sunny Bass” on YT. I don’t know anything about him, but he’s put up many, many decent backing tracks. I only make my own when I can’t find one I like.

He plays far more than a simple, repetitive line. So to integrate your ideas with his playing, it’s good to listen to each one a few times before playing over it. The lack of real time interplay can make for some unpleasant clashing otherwise.

User Info Menu

Looks like interest picked up a bit with this. Do you guys want another tune?

Assuming yes, I have an easy one and a somewhat less easy one in mind. Most of you are likely familiar with both, and even the less easy one is not that hard). Lemme know …

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john a.
    looks like interest picked up a bit with this. Do you guys want another tune?

Assuming yes, i have an easy one and a somewhat less easy one in mind. Most of you are likely familiar with both, and even the less easy one is not that hard). Lemme know …
    Bring the rain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

Assuming yes, I have an easy one and a somewhat less easy one in mind. Most of you are likely familiar with both, and even the less easy one is not that hard). Lemme know …
    Sure, I'll post something if I'm able to learn it in the time frame. (But don't go easy on my account, choose something that interests you.)

User Info Menu

And I have a few to throw in as well. So if John does this week's, I'll do next week's.

User Info Menu

I don't know about another one yet, but I'll certainly try to post a quickie for the current tune when I get a moment. Would one jam every 2 weeks work out better? Just a thought.

User Info Menu

Peter, I was going to wait until Sunday to post the next one, so you should be able to get Sonnymoon in.

Going forward, I prefer a week because I think it’s good to maintain the idea of doing what you can in a short period of time and not overthinking the process. But I thinks some flexibility might inspire some more participation.

How about allowing for extensions if people are struggling or stuck for time? Whoever calls the tune has discretion to extend.

The next one I have in mind is honestly not a hard tune in the sense of a bop head or something harmonically challenging like a Shorter or Hancock tune. I would guess that all of you are familiar with it, some of you have played it, plus it’s a contrafact of a tune you very likely have all played, especially in the warmer months of the year.

If you can follow those breadcrumbs, you can get a jump on things.

User Info Menu

Just got up, so here's some rock an roll BS which I'll probably take down when I wake up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Just got up, so here's some rock an roll BS which I'll probably take down when I wake up.
    Hey! This is jazz, no strats allowed!

User Info Menu

Ok John regarding the scheduling, I'll just jump in when I can and stop complaining, LOL. Anyways, thanks for the excuse to keep some semblance of fingertip calluses because I'm hardly playing. I used my Strat because there's too much acoustic string plink from the archtop going into the phone mic. Only problem is things tend to get more raucous pretty quickly on the Strato On your take, I heard some cool ideas and nothing wrong with the tone, not at all. Seems we agree that blues lends itself to ostinato licks. Ha, you even put in some whammy action!

I enjoyed nevershouldhave's comping, especially.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Ok John regarding the scheduling, I'll just jump in when I can and stop complaining, LOL. Anyways, thanks for the excuse to keep some semblance of fingertip calluses because I'm hardly playing. I used my Strat because there's too much acoustic string plink from the archtop going into the phone mic. Only problem is things tend to get more raucous pretty quickly on the Strato On your take, I heard some cool ideas and nothing wrong with the tone, not at all. Seems we agree that blues lends itself to ostinato licks. Ha, you even put in some whammy action!

I enjoyed nevershouldhave's comping, especially.
    The whammy's there, and it seems a shame not to use it. I have the same problem recording my archtop with a phone, which is why I do most of my stuff direct and then synch together sound and picture (a PITA), or just do audio without video Ditto with my semi-hollow, which is pretty loud for a semi-hollow. But with the strat I get a lot less of that effect. In this case, though, I've just in general been playing the strat a lot lately and was in the mood for it on this tune. Regarding ostinatos, I often do that on all kinds of tunes, not just blues. Chicks dig it.