Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

This one's from wzpgsr.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 90) - Pithecanthropus Erectus-mingus-pith-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The picture's of the eponymous album cover.

Well, this tune seems to be readily available. I've got an RB chart and probably others here can provide more info.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 90) - Pithecanthropus Erectus-pith-erectus-jpg

User Info Menu

There's also this site about Mingus which I'm sure we'lll find interesting.

"He would yell at you in the middle of a solo: 'Stop playing licks and get into yourself!"

Pithecanthropus Erectus

User Info Menu

Time to release your inner gibbon, folks :-)

User Info Menu

Sue Mingus died on September 24 at the age of 92. She is in that movie.

User Info Menu

Are you catching all his English, Bop Head? I'm not, it's pretty ragged.

He's not right, is he? The thing about people like that is it all makes sense within their own references... but it's not quite reality, if you know what I mean. It's probably why he's good at music, he can be creative within its own references, it's the same thing.

But good film, thanks. Very sixties :-)

User Info Menu

I couldn’t find a usable backing track for this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Crud, sorry—I should have investigated charts and tracks better with all of my picks this time around. I'm batting 3/5 here. Rags, please feel free to rotate another pic in place of this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Crud, sorry—I should have investigated charts and tracks better with all of my picks this time around. I'm batting 3/5 here. Rags, please feel free to rotate another pic in place of this one.
    There is a search engine on the Aebersold page which you might consult before deciding on a tune. (Before there was a PDF called “rapid reference” which I could not find a link to.)

jazzbooks.com: Category

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Are you catching all his English, Bop Head? I'm not, it's pretty ragged.

He's not right, is he? The thing about people like that is it all makes sense within their own references... but it's not quite reality, if you know what I mean. It's probably why he's good at music, he can be creative within its own references, it's the same thing.

But good film, thanks. Very sixties :-)
    I understand him very well. Maybe it comes from listening to a lot of country blues, hip-hop, dancehall reggae and interviews with old school jazzers — I understand “black English” very well even if someone mumbles with a pipe in his mouth. Regarding his behaviour and what he is talking about I do not perceive him as too far ”off” in the movie — maybe a little hypomanic. He stays rather calm when he gets thrown out of that loft. I have heard another story where he pulled a bass string out of an upright piano with his bare hands because the club owner refused to pay the band.

Anyway the movie shows how square and corny we are in a way today. Imagine someone singing along the way he does in the beginning of this movie while someone else is soloing on All The Things You Are LOL. That’s your inner gibbon.

’Nuff said — gotta search for an AEoC Aebersold backing (I heard someone talk about free jazz in a former edition of this series).

User Info Menu

No worries, you were distracted by having to offer wise counsel to people arguing about arguing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I agree, they're thin on the ground and not brilliant. I've made my own but I shouldn't think that'll help much. You'll have to get creative :-)

User Info Menu

I was just listening to some covers. I like this one a lot, in fact I prefer it to the Mingus version. They're highly musical and melodic and do the chaos thing with impressive, non-competitive ease. With the Mingus one I had the feeling he was driving them a bit because they weren't sure what to do. Could be wrong.

User Info Menu

I was just listening to some covers. I like this one a lot, in fact I prefer it to the Mingus version. They're highly musical and melodic and do the chaos thing with impressive, non-competitive ease. With the Mingus one I had the feeling he was driving them a bit because they weren't sure what to do. Could be wrong.

What you call “chaos thing” I would call “collective improvisation” — something that had got lost somewhere in jazz history (think bebop: one person is soloing, the rest is either comping or laying out) and was brought back by Mingus who was interested in early rough and unpolished forms of African-American rural music with its call-and response and commenting.

User Info Menu

Sorry, should have answered this one before. It's okay, I think we'll muddle through...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    What you call “chaos thing” I would call “collective improvisation”
    A rose by any other name :-)

My problem, sitting here, is how to make what I'm doing sound 'collectively improvised' enough!

User Info Menu

A rose by any other name :-)

My problem, sitting here, is how to make what I'm doing sound 'collectively improvised' enough!
    Overdub — record a first take leaving some space, then overdub another responding to what you have played, answer to phrases, do interjections and comments, make it a hefty conversation. Do some more in that way and you will have your “chaos”. Experiment with different effects for the different takes, distortion, echo, chorus, pan to different spots in the stereo field etc.

User Info Menu

Sorry, should have answered this one before. It's okay, I think we'll muddle through...
    Maybe an opportunity to try something new, I guess. I have had some success in the past exporting iReal bass and organ to MIDI and adding drum loops from Drum Genius.

User Info Menu

Overdub — record a first take leaving some space, then overdub another responding to what you have played, answer to phrases, do interjections and comments, make it a hefty conversation. Do some more in that way and you will have your “chaos”. Experiment with different effects for the different takes, distortion, echo, chorus, pan to different spots in the stereo field etc.
    Ah, but if you're following a formula it is it chaos any more? It's got to be instinctual, hasn't it?
    Last edited by ragman1; 10-01-2022 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Maybe an opportunity to try something new, I guess. I have had some success in the past exporting iReal bass and organ to MIDI and adding drum loops from Drum Genius.
    Oh, was just suggesting a method for generating a backing track for those interested.

User Info Menu

Some backstory on how this tune came to be:

Charles Mingus: 'Pithecanthropus Erectus' : NPR

User Info Menu

Ah, but if you're following a formula it is it chaos any more? It's got to be instinctual, hasn't it?
    What are you refering to?

User Info Menu

Solo
    Repeat as desired
    F-7 Bb7

User Info Menu

I just put together a bass and drums backing track and will try to pull together a take today. It's my live bass playing against drum loops that are real drumming. I'm happy to share it, so PM me for it. I didn't do any keyboard guitar comping. You're on your own for that.

User Info Menu

What are you refering to?
    Sorry, I edited my previous post. It was this:

I was saying if the 'chaos' is formulated then it's not really free improv. I'd say the whole thing had to be fairly spontaneous (and hope to hell it sounded all right later).

When I said 'my problem' I just meant I was working on it at the time, I don't mean I didn't understand it. I used do a lot of that sort of thing, what one might call abstract music. In fact, there's one on my Soundcloud site now. But I can't remember what it was for!