Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

This one from wzpgsr.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 89) - Soultrane-soultrane-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here we go. Backing tracks readily available. Play it pretty now :-)

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 89) - Soultrane-soultrane-sheet-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh, this link from Bop Head is worth preserving. Very interesting some of it

The Commercial Music Fakebook ( 1) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh, this link from Bop Head is worth preserving. Very interesting some of it

The Commercial Music Fakebook ( 1) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Always welcome.

One of my favorite jazz ballads BTW since I discovered this cheap Coltrane compilation around 1990.

Here’s for your inspiration the original version:

Oh no, not that guy again … LOL

Another beautiful rendition

EDIT: Yesterday was John Coltrane’s 96th birthday BTW
    Last edited by Bop Head; 09-24-2022 at 04:14 AM.

User Info Menu

BTW the original key is Eb. The Jazz LTD chart is written for transposing Bb instruments.

Aebersold has the complete changes (and like most of the time very accurate).
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Don't need inspiration :-)

User Info Menu

Here we go. Beautiful tune.

[BTW, this is a my Stratocaster. I just had it refretted, which made a substantial difference in how it sounds and plays.]
    Last edited by John A.; 09-24-2022 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmm - I can't find a single backing track that corresponds to the lead sheet. There's a 9 minute track on YT that I didn't even listen to because that's just too long, and the "play-along funky" track is off the wall. Unfortunately, I don't have time over the weekend to make my own and would really appeciate a link to a simple, usable track.

Nice takes from the regulars!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Hmm - I can't find a single backing track that corresponds to the lead sheet. There's a 9 minute track on YT that I didn't even listen to because that's just too long, and the "play-along funky" track is off the wall. Unfortunately, I don't have time over the weekend to make my own and would really appeciate a link to a simple, usable track.

Nice takes from the regulars!!
    I bought an Aebersold backing track on Amazon for 89 cents and imported that into GarageBand. It’s in Eb (as is the original recording), and fun to play against. The melody in the Real Book chart is a little different for what Trane plays, but I don’t know if that’s because it’s wrong or because Trane was taking liberties.

I actually spent some time transcribing exactly what Trane played because the phrasing, ornamentation, and articulations are really beautiful. In the end I recorded it my way (too much respect for the master to dare posting my attempts to copy him). But just, wow, could that guy play the saxophone.

User Info Menu

Today's a holiday for us. So I celebrated it with a take before dinner with the family. My PC's been stuttering recently as I've added more and more AV processing - there's a weird recording glitch at 3:40, but it's only a second or so. It may be time for a more powerful machine for the new year. I used iReal playback as the backing track, and I think it worked well.

Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 09-26-2022 at 06:04 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It's quite possible amateur noodling may be an art form unto itself :-)

User Info Menu

Soulless Train. Even more pentatonic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Don't need inspiration :-)

Although I had originally decided to give only positive feedback on uploaded stuff played by people themselves I decided to say a few words here:

This is an original jazz composition by one of the most important (and most underrated compared to e.g. Ellington and Monk) composers in jazz and IMHO one should not take to many liberties in playing the theme. This is not a standard song from the Great American Songbook but a very thought-through composition.

I posted those versions and the Aebersold leadsheet because the Jazz LTD lead sheet leaves out an important element that gives the tender ballad (another important point!) some drive and forward motion: Most of the phrases start off beat! (Yes, Barry takes some liberties and Trane plays a lot of embellishments but that does not change the overall fell, you can be sure they have the original tune in the pocket, which I do not feel listening to most of the contributions.) Listen to Moody who plays the theme without much embellishment.

I do not even mind if s/o feels offended, this had to be said.

PS: And because I am not yet content with my own playing because I am very critical with myself as well I do not yet post. Just in case s/o says: “Then post yourself an do better!” I worked on the tune a little, tried out fingerings for the theme and made some very interesting discoveries regarding passing chords for the accompaniment. The latter I might post if I find the time to put it into musescore. But no video from me yet. And a critical ear from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I bought an Aebersold backing track on Amazon for 89 cents and imported that into GarageBand. It’s in Eb (as is the original recording), and fun to play against. The melody in the Real Book chart is a little different for what Trane plays, but I don’t know if that’s because it’s wrong or because Trane was taking liberties.

I actually spent some time transcribing exactly what Trane played because the phrasing, ornamentation, and articulations are really beautiful. In the end I recorded it my way (too much respect for the master to dare posting my attempts to copy him). But just, wow, could that guy play the saxophone.
    PPS: John A., I take you out of the criticism because I can hear you really worked on it and you are not just reading from a peace of paper.

User Info Menu

Hi !

I don't know it very well, I don't know it at all...
    I play it from the Real Book with its mistakes and mine.

This one, you can forget it but I share it, why not ?
    All comments and insults are welcome.
    That will get me mad !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Although I had originally decided to give only positive feedback on uploaded stuff played by people themselves I decided to say a few words here:

This is an original jazz composition by one of the most important (and most underrated compared to e.g. Ellington and Monk) composers in jazz and IMHO one should not take to many liberties in playing the theme. This is not a standard song from the Great American Songbook but a very thought-through composition.

I posted those versions and the Aebersold leadsheet because the Jazz LTD lead sheet leaves out an important element that gives the tender ballad (another important point!) some drive and forward motion: Most of the phrases start off beat! (Yes, Barry takes some liberties and Trane plays a lot of embellishments but that does not change the overall fell, you can be sure they have the original tune in the pocket, which I do not feel listening to most of the contributions.) Listen to Moody who plays the theme without much embellishment.

PS: And because I am not yet content with my own playing because I am very critical with myself as well I do not yet post. Just in case s/o says: “Then post yourself an do better!” I worked on the tune a little, tried out fingerings for the theme and made some very interesting discoveries regarding passing chords for the accompaniment. The latter I might post if I find the time to put it into musescore. But no video from me yet. And a critical ear from time to time.

PPS: John A., I take you out of the criticism because I can hear you really worked on it and you are not just reading from a peace of paper.
    I think that it’s best not to offer this kind of negative critique unless it’s asked for and unless you can back up your words with musical skills. Not trying to censor or censure you. But realistically, this is the sort of comment that starts arguments.

Better to ask why someone did something than to tell them they shouldn’t have done it (especially if you don’t expose your own playing to commentary). Let it be a dialog. Further, the purpose of these threads is not to analyze and execute heads perfectly. The purpose is to play, warts and all, which means accepting that not everyone will meet your standards.

User Info Menu

I think that it’s best not to offer this kind of negative critique unless it’s asked for and unless you can back up your words with musical skills. Not trying to censor or censure you. But realistically, this is the sort of comment that starts arguments.

Better to ask why someone did something than to tell them they shouldn’t have done it (especially if you don’t expose your own playing to commentary). Let it be a dialog. Further, the purpose of these threads is not to analyze and execute heads perfectly. The purpose is to play, warts and all, which means accepting that not everyone will meet your standards.
    Let me disagree with that.
    I have published my recordings and have been provocatively criticized by the host of virtual jam.
    However, when I criticized something, the defenders immediately appeared.
    what's going on here?
    If someone writes a reasonable criticism - I don't mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I have published my recordings and have been provocatively criticized by the host of virtual jam.
    what's going on here?
    Kris, let it go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Kris, let it go.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    what's going on here?
    That has nothing to do with what I actually said, which I guess is OK. I mean after all this is an improvisation forum, and that encompasses free jazz.

User Info Menu

That has nothing to do with what I actually said, which I guess is OK. I mean after all this is an improvisation forum, and that encompasses free jazz.

I think I got it wrong.
    Have fun.

User Info Menu

The original intent of these virtual jams is to improvise a chorus or two as if it were your turn to solo at a jam session—minimal prep. Anything else—including playing the head well (or not)—is just gravy.
    Last edited by wzpgsr; 09-28-2022 at 04:35 PM.

User Info Menu

John A., I take you out of the criticism because I can hear you really worked on it and you are not just reading from a peace of paper.
    Excuse me? I memorized the tune in Gb. Listened to the Tadd and Trane version several times as well as the BH version. I tried to keep to the emotion of the song and play the melody accurately with some deviation. And I tried to do some comping and backgrounds in the feel of Tadd (also McCoy) behind the melody. And in 3 days while doing my other stuff..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Excuse me? I memorized the tune in Gb. Listened to the Tadd and Trane version several times as well as the BH version. I tried to keep to the emotion of the song and play the melody accurately with some deviation. And I tried to do some comping and backgrounds in the feel of Tadd (also McCoy) behind the melody. And in 3 days while doing my other stuff..
    Don’t sweat it.

User Info Menu

I found the time today to engrave in Musescore an four-to-the-bar comping for the A section that developed out of an improvisation this morning. As I said I do not want to present my improvisations in recorded form yet. Maybe someone has some use for it. The chord symbols above are the basic chords, the fretboard diagrams contain some sunstitutions. I tried to stay close the melody and it is meant to be played with a bass.
    Attached Images Attached Images