The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

This one's from Triple_Jazz.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 86) - Driftin'-driftin-forum-jpg
    Last edited by ragman1; 09-02-2022 at 02:05 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Do you want a chart for this or have you got one?

User Info Menu

I printed one out, thx. This is a bad ass tune that I haven't heard before. I'm definitely going to try to get this in.

User Info Menu

Pen6 continued

User Info Menu

Just playin' with my toys! This is a really cool and relaxed tune - it's too bad there don't seem to be any really nice backing tracks for it. This was the best I could find on YouTube, and it's a bit short of professional. The ending also threw me, as it's neither clever nor satisfying - it's just strange! But it is what it is, so here we go...........

I found a nice tube-y plugin called IVGI that really is both subtle and effective. Of course, you can push a signal into serious OD with it as you wish. I just use it to warm up the guitar a bit when recording directly into my TASCAM DAI. And I added a bit of stereo widener effect

User Info Menu

Liked the filter, rob :-)

I haven't even looked at this one properly yet. Sounds basically melodic but with a blues feel.

User Info Menu

bluesman. - very relaxing and bluesy
    ragman - Yeah. I discovered filters in imovie and can resist.

My morning practice.
    I recorded 7 takes. This is the first one.

I promise not to upload any more in this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robespier
    bluesman. - very relaxing and bluesy
    ragman - Yeah. I discovered filters in imovie and can resist.

My morning practice.
    I recorded 7 takes. This is the first one.

I promise not to upload any more in this thread.

Robespier,
    You're too good for a virtual jam.
    I am very happy that such cool guitarist as you is from Poland.
    Relaxed hands, great time and feel.
    Exelent sound.
    Good luck!
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Rob - yes, I liked that one

I promise not to upload any more in this thread
    Oh, come the end of the week you'll probably be itching a bit. No prob :-)

User Info Menu

I don't understand this stuff :-)

User Info Menu

kris -
    Thank you for the kind words, but I don't want to compare myself with Anyone here.
    I consider this virtual jam a practice room rather than a concert hall. There are many great musicians on this forum. The more they play on the jam, the better. ( for everyone imho )
    I like some aspects of my playing, others less so. As I record, I force myself to listen to it with an open mind. This is already a lot.

There are side effects of course- changes from the song playing in my head for hours.

ragman -
    The changes are not difficult, but there are some unusual turns here. This progression from Cm to Gm (3-5b) is not obvious. At first, I was drawn to Abmaj. (propably by this Bbm). Focusing on Dominants to turning points helps a lot.
    Dexter Gordon plays very clearly in the original. (I don't know why, but it sounds a bit like an early Coltrane to me )

User Info Menu

kris -
    Thank you for the kind words, but I don't want to compare myself with Anyone here.
    I consider this virtual jam a practice room rather than a concert hall. There are many great musicians on this forum. The more they play on the jam, the better. ( for everyone imho )
    I like some aspects of my playing, others less so. As I record, I force myself to listen to it with an open mind. This is already a lot.

There are side effects of course- changes from the song playing in my head for hours.

ragman -
    The changes are not difficult, but there are some unusual turns here. This progression from Cm to Gm (3-5b) is not obvious. At first, I was drawn to Abmaj. (propably by this Bbm). Focusing on Dominants to turning points helps a lot.
    Dexter Gordon plays very clearly in the original. (I don't know why, but it sounds a bit like an early Coltrane to me )

Rob,
    I have been on this forum since 2008, if I remember correctly, I must have made several hundred recordings at home and published and publish my recordings.
    Until "someone" criticizes the playing by the musician from Miles Davis' band, everything looks beautiful.
    That's why I prefer more real jams.
    Anyway have fun.
    Pozdrowienia
    kris

User Info Menu

Me too :-)

When I said I didn't understand it that was only tongue in cheek! I don't have any problems with the changes, they go from Eb (Eb7) to Cm to Gm, etc. As you say, the dominants as the V to the next key are turning points.

Re. Coltrane, I think there's quite a difference between him and Charlie Parker (who was 6 years older). Parker played very standard stuff for a long while before he got into bebop. Coltrane, on the other hand, was pretty well there from the start, playing complex lines and pushing the boundaries.

His first album was issued round about '57 whereas Parker's first one was in the early 40's. But a lot of Coltrane's early material was destroyed in the dreadful Universal Studios fire.

But there are still some recordings from when he was in the Navy. That was pretty hectic from the start!

User Info Menu

Not so early Train. I meant more about the mid to late 50's.

Gordon was a bit older, so it's not clear who was inspired by who.
    I hear similar phrasing and sound. These could be some saxophone technicalities. I don't know anything about it.

User Info Menu

He was mostly with Miles at that point.

I hear similar phrasing and sound. These could be some saxophone technicalities. I don't know anything about it.
    Gordon? Is that predictive texting? :-)

Oh, Coltrane was inspired by Parker, no question. This is from Wiki:

'An important moment in the progression of Coltrane's musical development occurred on June 5, 1945, when he saw Charlie Parker perform for the first time. In a DownBeat magazine article in 1960 he recalled: “the first time I heard Bird play, it hit me right between the eyes.”'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't understand this stuff :-)
    Me neither. Maybe if I had more than 3 days to work out bass, chord, melody, and solo to a highly orchestrated and superbly composed tune. :P

Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 09-07-2022 at 11:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I believe Coltrane was influenced by Dexter Gordon to some extent. Their sound has some similarities. I think Dexter himself said this.

User Info Menu

Oh, that Gordon

Had 5 minutes so I stuck this in C. No head either. Disgraceful :-)

User Info Menu

Oh, that Gordon

Had 5 minutes so I stuck this in C. No head either. Disgraceful :-)
    This song suits your style very well.

User Info Menu

So you are alive after all

User Info Menu

So you are alive after all
    Yep, will be recording and posting tonight.

User Info Menu

Rough around the edges like yours truly.

User Info Menu

Oh, I was just getting into that! Nice lines, as usual. I really must start stealing some of your stuff...