The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63
    Some wonderful suggestions through the thread, thanks. I've started to compile a Spotify list of examples -- now the issue will just be to get around to actually transcribing enough of them

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I was listening to this yesterday.

One of my favorite albums from one of my favorite cats!

A good shout -- some Monk might be exactly what I need to spice up my blues jazz vocabulary.

There's at least three great blues tunes and who-knows-how-many transcribable solos on that album alone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head

T-Bone and Fulson were important influences of BB so Bloomfield must have been at least indirectly influenced by them. But I have to admit that I have not occupied myself with Bloomfield much so far. After having listened to that first Butterfield Blues Band album now — that is really rather on the delta than on the polished side or somewhere in between.
    You’re speaking from assumptions, not experience. Go listen more broadly. Butterfield was just one stop on a long journey for Bloomfield. He was very eclectic and original, more comparable to someone like Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, or David Bromberg than to a more stereotypical blues player. Not much evidence of this is on widely released records. You have to dig into bootlegs and the obscure stuff he put out in his last few years (much of which is now being released in anthologies) to get a real sense of this. People tend to pigeonhole him as another "white bluesman," based on the Butterfield records and Super Session but that’s not accurate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    You’re speaking from assumptions, not experience. Go listen more broadly. Butterfield was just one stop on a long journey for Bloomfield. He was very eclectic and original, more comparable to someone like Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, or David Bromberg than to a more stereotypical blues player. Not much evidence of this is on widely released records. You have to dig into bootlegs and the obscure stuff he put out in his last few years (much of which is now being released in anthologies) to get a real sense of this. People tend to pigeonhole him as another "white bluesman," based on the Butterfield records and Super Session but that’s not accurate.

The often overlooked Electric Flag showed Bloomfields ability to expand with a "horn section" band..which I liked alot..the tune "You Dont Realize" captures the
    sound of the Stax/Motown feel..most of the tunes on the album were credited to Bloomfield..showing his songwriting ability.

I was angry when he passed due to drug (heroin) issues..I often wonder where he would be now musically (same said of many others)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    The often overlooked Electric Flag showed Bloomfields ability to expand with a "horn section" band..which I liked alot..the tune "You Dont Realize" captures the
    sound of the Stax/Motown feel..most of the tunes on the album were credited to Bloomfield..showing his songwriting ability.

I was angry when he passed due to drug (heroin) issues..I often wonder where he would be now musically (same said of many others)
    I just listened to that “A Long Time Coming” album. Well, tastes are different and I have to say that it is not really my cup of tea. I not very much into that kind of psychedelic rock now (I might have liked it 25 years ago) and I did not like the singing very much to be honest. Compare to this one (forget about the silly video someone did) — that openness of the voice is something I always look for. And it has nothing to do with Robert Cray being black. Frank Sinatra has that as well or Freddy Mercury. Bloomfield’s singing I found rather pressed. And I found the whole thing rather undynamic, including the guitar playing except for one blues track called “Texas” that I quite liked. This track is an example for what I mean with dynamics.

Tastes differ as I said before. No offence meant just my honest opinion. But I try to keep an open ear and might listen to anything someone proposes me. If it touches my heart and soul is another thing to be tried out …

Heroin is a bitch. I am happy that I was never tempted to try that. Junkies have told me it makes you feel like you’re back in you’re mother’s womb again. And that is easier than you might think to drive a needle up your veins …

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Can you point me to some recordings I should listen to?

User Info Menu

8 bar traditional in jazz rendition

User Info Menu

Better than BIAB — Mal Waldron Trio — Music Minus One MMO 1011

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Can you point me to some recordings I should listen to?

This'll keep you busy for a while.

User Info Menu

Been down so long, seem like up to me.

User Info Menu

Tips for jazz blues solos to learn from?

Well, actually... all of them. It's all blues, innit?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is a nice minor blues

Paul Gonsalves – tenor, Nat Adderley – trumpet, Winton Kelly – piano, Sam Jones – bass, Jimmy Cobb – drums

User Info Menu

Not a real blues but a nice tune in a bluesy minor tonality

another version