The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I've just seen this guy on truefire.

Sweet playing on this video below.
    He can also play some really quick ideas too which you don't see as much on the introduction.

I love how he plays, he has that Benson/ Wes feel.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fleaaaaaa
    I've just seen this guy on truefire.

Sweet playing on this video below.
    He can also play some really quick ideas too which you don't see as much on the introduction.

I love how he plays, he has that Benson/ Wes feel.

Definitely. I thought I was listening to Benson or Wes depending if he used his thumb or pick. His picking looks identical to Benson's as far as I can tell. Not many players can get that kind of groove in their playing.

User Info Menu

He’s yet another wonderful musician about whom most of us know nothing. At close to 70, he’s no kid, and he’s on many excellent albums. Check out this interview with him - his philosophy and approach are guides for us all.

User Info Menu

HJ is a fantastic jazz guitarist. I first became aware of him when he became Heritage's first endorsee. The Henry Johnson model archtop didn't sell that well, likely because of his obscurity. At any rate, check him out.

Henry Johnson | Discography | Discogs

HENRY JOHNSON discography (top albums) and reviews

Heritage model Henry Johnson Signature Guitar: Heritage Guitars Henry Johnson Review | Chorder.com

User Info Menu

He's great, and these lessons are so inspirational! Here's a nice live clip (but gotta go to YouTube to watch it). I have searched a few times in the past, there's very little videos of him online, which is a shame for such a player.

People sometimes mix his name with Randy Johnston (similar last names). They're both top notch players with their own thing! Here's Randy Johnston with Lonnie Smith and Lou Donaldson

User Info Menu

I'd rather listen to Henry than Benson any day.

User Info Menu

Sunday night at Winters Jazz Club in Chicago:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I'd rather listen to Henry than Benson any day.
    Which Benson? Young fiery blues bopping Benson, Smooth Jazz Benson, or either?

AKA

User Info Menu

Make up your own mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Which Benson? Young fiery blues bopping Benson, Smooth Jazz Benson, or either? AKA
    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Make up your own mind.
    Seems like an honest question. Why the snippy response?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    Seems like an honest question. Why the snippy response?
    You never know - perhaps he was having a bad day.

AKA