Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

This one's from wzpgsr.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 85) - Hot House-hot-house-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve been away so couldn’t do Stablemates or Bags Groove, however I have done this one before!

User Info Menu

Actually, I wanted to see what you'd do with Bag's Groove! There's still time...

Not that your Hot House isn't superb, naturally

User Info Menu

I found this video, which might help those who want to program their BIAB program. The song was not in either of my Real Books.

I wish I had time to delve into this one. It looks like a great song for folks like me to learn. Alas, I will but listen to the various performances.

Thanks, ragman.

Last edited by AlsoRan; 08-26-2022 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

This is a contrafact of “What Is This Thing Called Love". So, while the head is obviously pretty hard, blowing should be familiar. So don’t be scared to jump in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I found this video, which might help those who want to program their BIAB program. The song was not in either of my Real Books.

I wish I had time to delve into this one. It looks like a great song for folks like me to learn. Alas, I will but listen to the various performances.

Thanks, ragman.

Thanks, ragman.
    Not moi, Also, thank wzpgsr.

Here's a chart. Good luck!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 85) - Hot House-hot-house-2-png

User Info Menu

This might be of use to someone.

He looks how I feel :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    This is a contrafact of “What Is This Thing Called Love". So, while the head is obviously pretty hard, blowing should be familiar. So don’t be scared to jump in.
    Yes, in fact my version was done for the practical standards thread when the tune was ‘What is this thing called love’.

Obviously I decided to be a clever-clogs and do Hot House instead!

I do remember the head took ages to learn on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Have this, for what it's worth!

User Info Menu

But, don't forget, you're supposed to do it like this. Let's go!

User Info Menu

Two takes in one.
    A bit too much 6th pentatonics? I still practice and put it everywhere.

User Info Menu

^ Sounds good! Good momentum with the 8th notes. And I liked the pentatonics. Were those the ones you were sequencing in 2 note patterns? That sounds good I have been thinking of working on that. Thinking of what to use for short pattens and what I should use, thought maybe start with pentatonic.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    But, don't forget, you're supposed to do it like this. Let's go!

This is why people make fun of bass solos. :P

User Info Menu

Nice takes so far. This head is really one of my favorites—it’s just so weird and tricky. When I first started practicing jazz in earnest like 10 years ago, this tune (What Is This Thing Called Love actually) was one of the first tunes I worked with. I return to it every so often, but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve really played it. So this will be a good gauge of my progress over the past 10 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robespier
    A bit too much 6th pentatonics?
    I don't think so, not if you capture the chords. Better than not capturing them! Personally I play very few straight pentatonic patterns, I make scales out of them. That way I can put in the notes I need beyond the basic pentatonic.

Nice takes :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    ^ Sounds good! Good momentum with the 8th notes. And I liked the pentatonics. Were those the ones you were sequencing in 2 note patterns? That sounds good I have been thinking of working on that. Thinking of what to use for short pattens and what I should use, thought maybe start with pentatonic.

This is why people make fun of bass solos. :P
    More like 4,6,8 notes patterns. I try to keep it simple, but it doesn't always work.
    For example, The simple idea of applying the 6th penatonic (1 b3 4 5 6) in the triton
    e.g. pent6 D and pent6 Ab over G-dominant chord.
    The same thing with half-diminished obviously. ( from 3th )
    Theoretically, it looks ok, but i have to play it to make it sound good.

I don't think so, not if you capture the chords. Better than not capturing them! Personally I play very few straight pentatonic patterns, I make scales out of them. That way I can put in the notes I need beyond the basic pentatonic.

Nice takes :-)
    Maybe it is. it is difficult to keep distance from one's own playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robespier
    The simple idea of applying the 6th penatonic (1 b3 4 5 6) in the triton
    e.g. pent6 D and pent6 Ab over G-dominant chord.
    Sorry, trying not to get into boring theory stuff but there's a point here...

Taking the Ab first, (over G7), the altered scale is: Ab Bb B C# Eb F G. If you use an Ab minor 6th pentatonic: Ab B C# Eb F, you're basically playing Ab melodic minor (G alt). Minus the connecting notes, of course.

Same with the Dm 6th pent: D F G A B: which is pretty well D melodic minor (G Lyd Dom).

What I'm saying is that the use of the minor 6th pents is a shorter way of playing melodic minor. Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course, it just gives you the same basic notes and sound.

User Info Menu

Sorry, trying not to get into boring theory stuff but there's a point here...

Taking the Ab first, (over G7), the altered scale is: Ab Bb B C# Eb F G. If you use an Ab minor 6th pentatonic: Ab B C# Eb F, you're basically playing Ab melodic minor (G alt). Minus the connecting notes, of course.

Same with the Dm 6th pent: D F G A B: which is pretty well D melodic minor (G Lyd Dom).

What I'm saying is that the use of the minor 6th pents is a shorter way of playing melodic minor. Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course, it just gives you the same basic notes and sound.
    Not exactly, of course.

IF pentatonic A is the shorter way to play the A minor scale OR C AND Dm arps are the shorter way to play the C major scale, then YES.

Everything is very simple mathematically.
    The trouble starts when I want to use it in real time. There has to be some judgment mechanism in the mind that says ‚Ok that's good enough’
    The truth is, the more combinations I practice, the better these choices are. So I go back to the point - laziness and motivation.

User Info Menu

Yes, not exactly :-)

I don't know about laziness, etc, but what you play sounds pretty good to me!

User Info Menu

The head to Hot House is the best textbook I ever saw on playing on altered Dom’s and minor ii Vs

User Info Menu

Not sure. It's a crazy tune. If you take out the passing notes it sounds a bit like this

User Info Menu

For your inspiration:

Dizz & Bird

From Gene Norman’s “Just Jazz” concert series:

Part 1Part 2

User Info Menu

This tune doesn't need to be played fast to be nasty. Watch till the end—they literally bring the house down.

User Info Menu

It's been a long week+ ! My turntable died, my espresso machine died, and I spent an entire day on the road last week to buy a fine archtop that turned out to need frets and other work despite a desciption of "so little wear it looks like it's never been played".

I just fixed the espresso machine, so it's time to relax before opening the 'table. Here's my simple and traditional take on Hot House. I wrote my own head, since the guidelines say "Play the head, or not. This is about improvisation. Don't post a transcription. Don't work out a whole solo. Don't spend all week making a solo guitar arrangement. Just put down your phone and do a take. Keep it fresh". I'm tryin' !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    This tune doesn't need to be played fast to be nasty. […]
    I love Emmet’s trio. Kyle and Russell have for me what Hal Galper describes as the “Big Beat” regarding Louis Hayes and Sam Jones with Cannonball. And they have always so much fun, although I never saw them cracking up like this. One of the best YouTube channels ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    It's been a long week+ ! My turntable died, my espresso machine died, and I spent an entire day on the road last week to buy a fine archtop that turned out to need frets and other work despite a desciption of "so little wear it looks like it's never been played".

I just fixed the espresso machine, so it's time to relax before opening the 'table. Here's my simple and traditional take on Hot House. I wrote my own head, since the guidelines say "Play the head, or not. This is about improvisation. Don't post a transcription. Don't work out a whole solo. Don't spend all week making a solo guitar arrangement. Just put down your phone and do a take. Keep it fresh". I'm tryin' !

While it is fun to hear everyone's performances, I just have to applaud the ones like yours that not only have great playing, but great recording quality.

Recording quality is a skill in and of itself!