Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

This one's from Triple-Jazz.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 83) - Stablemates-golson-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can we amend the policy of not posting the chart in the op? :P

User Info Menu

You want a chart? No prob. Most people find one online or in their collection of Real Books. Or use an app on their phone or BIAB, etc, etc. Here's one of mine. Bear in mind that other charts sometimes change the chords*. What I'm saying is that quite probably no version is completely set in stone but I think this one will do.

By the way, generally only the head has breaks and the short latin section. Soloing usually forgets all that and does the whole progression as swing and without breaks (see note at the bottom of the chart).

* Some versions play the first bar as Bb7/A7 (as opposed to Em7/A7) if that interests you :-)

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 83) - Stablemates-benny-golson-stablemates-jpg

User Info Menu

Had a twiddle solo improv last night which, strangely, given the chords, slipped off the fingers nicely. My theory is it was a reaction to being released from the short and simple form of the last one :-)

Last edited by ragman1; 08-13-2022 at 04:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Daunting! I don’t have this one in my head and I’ve never played it. Listening to Miles’ version helps me visualize the structure. I need to violate my VJ “policy” and play this one enough to feel like I know it a little better before committing it to 0s and 1s. This one is definitely not for the timid

User Info Menu

Less is more.....

User Info Menu

Well, I am definitely Mr Grumpy today! We've just had delivery of a new lawn mower which I have to assemble by hand from diagrams with screws and whatnot...

I've done it before but that was years ago. Then, if it works, I have to mow the remaining part of the lawn that was left standing when the old mower gave up the ghost...

It's the hottest part of the day, the heat is suffocating, and I have (technically) got to get it done before the thunderstorms start at about 4pm... and continue into next week. Great.

But I'd much rather do the music. And I have. Now most people, I think, spend a lot of time on the head. I don't know this tune at all so how long is that going to take, getting all the notes and the rhythms right?

Too long. I'm not a professional jazz musician. I don't have to perform it anywhere except here so can I be bothered? Not really. Because I don't need to. Thank god.

So I'm just going to slow it down and try to get the solo notes to fit the chords, especially the altered ones. That's my interest so that'll do.

You don't have to like it. If you don't (whoever this generic 'you' is) I can't say it bothers me much. Definitely not today, anyway.

I think the heat is playing games with my acoustics which is why it's a bit boomy. Too bad.

Thank you for listening and admiring the awesome skill. And, of course, well done to never's version, a brave effort.

Right, off we go. And poo to the lot of it :-)

User Info Menu

Got it all done in a couple of hours but it's dry as a bone... so far. Thought you'd like to see our forecast for tonight.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 83) - Stablemates-weath-jpg

But what it says and what it does are often two different things :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Got it all done in a couple of hours but it's dry as a bone... so far. Thought you'd like to see our forecast for tonight.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 83) - Stablemates-weath-jpg

But what it says and what it does are often two different things :-)
    You’re a week late, my friend. Mow better blues was last week’s theme

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Now most people, I think, spend a lot of time on the head. I don't know this tune at all so how long is that going to take, getting all the notes and the rhythms right?

So I'm just going to slow it down and try to get the solo notes to fit the chords, especially the altered ones.
    That's going to be my approach this week as well. I may not even memorize the chords, just stare at the chart and let 'er rip. We'll see, time permitting.

User Info Menu

Bravo, apple pie! I'm corrupting you :-)

User Info Menu

Here we go. At some point I must have shedded this because I managed to find a print-out of a chart in pile of random charts I have on a shelf, but for the life of me I don't remember when or what the occasion was. Anyway played it a bit over the weekend, and either I learned anew, or it all came back to me, I'm not sure which. But here we go, nonetheless. Yes. it's a bit challenging, but it reminds me of Moments Notice, and succumbs to similar simplifications.

User Info Menu

Hi, John. Nice. Perfect :-)

User Info Menu

I've focused a lot of practice time on reading scores without looking at the guitar at all, accelerating the pace over the last few weeks. Here's a take of Stablemates at 210, complete with a 4 bar sweep picking segment that's not nearly as clean as it needs to be.

User Info Menu

This is my first post so I want to say hi. I recently discovered the site and I can see that it works very well.
    Brilliant idea and cool people. I have some time and a need to motivate myself to work. This seems like a great place to do that.

ragman1 - I like your phrasing.
    John A. - nice soft attack. What pick?
    nevershouldhavesoldit - i like 3-note idea at 0:58

My short take. Cool song. I need to look at the real book for now. I've played a dozen takes. This one is 3rd.
    A bit sloppy, but whatever. It has to be fair and it is.

User Info Menu

Not a lot of takers for this one. Next ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robespier
    This is my first post so I want to say hi. I recently discovered the site and I can see that it works very well. Brilliant idea and cool people. I have some time and a need to motivate myself to work. This seems like a great place to do that.
    Super post & playing! Welcome to JGO and the virtual jam - I think I speak for others as well as myself in saying that we really look forward to your participation.

User Info Menu

Robespier -

Greetings, great entrance. I see you've done this before :-)

The tune changes every week so there'll be another one tomorrow. Good to have you. Hope you enjoy it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Not a lot of takers for this one. Next ...
    Yeah, this tune was a bit more than I could chew on this week. I made some effort, but in the end didn't get as far as I would have liked. Onward to next week's tune.

User Info Menu

He's back! You'll be okay on the next one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robespier
    This is my first post so I want to say hi. I recently discovered the site and I can see that it works very well.
    Brilliant idea and cool people. I have some time and a need to motivate myself to work. This seems like a great place to do that.

ragman1 - I like your phrasing.
    John A. - nice soft attack. What pick?
    nevershouldhavesoldit - i like 3-note idea at 0:58

My short take. Cool song. I need to look at the real book for now. I've played a dozen takes. This one is 3rd.
    A bit sloppy, but whatever. It has to be fair and it is.

Welcome Robspier, that’s an excellent take on Stablemates. I use plain old Fender 351 heavy picks.