The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 105

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is my solo. Wise comments are welcome.
    If somebody writes stupid things about playing scales "up and down" - I will delete the recording.

Box
    I like the crisp sharpness of your nylon sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    I like the crisp sharpness of your nylon sound.
    Thanks...;-)

User Info Menu

Heads Up...

I'll take up that point about bossas, I think. I've been thinking this myself for some time now. The Jobim bossas (Ipanema, Corcovado, Meditation, Desinfinado, etc, etc) are very much within our remit and, apart from Wave, they haven't been suggested yet.

I suspect it's because the majority of players here prefer the more boppy stuff, or the more modern-sounding tunes at least. And, since I don't pick the tunes, that's how it's gone.

But if anyone would like to suggest a bossa we can have it next time. So state your preferences! Let's do a Poll!

(Or say if you think they're too boring or something)

User Info Menu

Jobim tunes are great, I would be happy to do some.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Graham. Have you got a favorite?

Coincidentally - and it is a coincidence - here's a latin version of this one. Apparently Petkere herself used to do it as a slow bossa-type thing so I think I'm safe. I'm using the Improvisor backing which is proving useful. At least it's got drums. It's all diatonic except for two notes - only two - which were slip-slid. I must have been feeling adventurous

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Jobim tunes are great, I would be happy to do some.
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 77) - Close Your Eyes-jobim-jpg

User Info Menu

O Grande Amor is nice, in fact I just got out my classical guitar and a chord chart and had a go! (need to learn the melody though, I was just busking it by ear).

User Info Menu

O Grande Amor is nice, in fact I just got out my classical guitar and a chord chart and had a go! (need to learn the melody though, I was just busking it by ear).
    Indeed! And Gilberto’s contributions are often forgotten in the shadow of Jobim’s huge image. Tunes like O Pato and Doralice are great fun to play and to hear.

User Info Menu

The participants choose the tunes, and You won’t ever find me choosing a bossa as it is my least favorite style in jazz. By all means anyone with a song suggestion send it in though I recommend sending one or two at a time in the spirit of calling a tune at a jam.

User Info Menu

Graham, it's your first request... it comes up on Friday

(then it reverts to the ordinary list, the guys have been waiting for their tunes)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    The participants choose the tunes, and You won’t ever find me choosing a bossa as it is my least favorite style in jazz. By all means anyone with a song suggestion send it in though I recommend sending one or two at a time in the spirit of calling a tune at a jam.
    You'll be okay. Yours is the one after that :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Does the creator of the tune choose it, know it and have he played it before ...?
    does it all matter and am I giving a song that I like?
    ps.
    I think all jazz musicians in the world have had some bossa-nova adventure.
    Last edited by kris; 07-03-2022 at 11:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Graham, it's your first request... it comes up on Friday

(then it reverts to the ordinary list, the guys have been waiting for their tunes)
    ok thanks. A bit tricky to find a chart, but I’ve found one or two to check out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Does the creator of the tune choose it, know it and have he played it before ...?
    does it all matter and am I giving a song that I like?
    I have definitely picked some tunes that I was not terribly familiar with and wanted to learn better.

User Info Menu

Do you know this site?

Bossa Nova Guitar Chords, Lessons, Songs, Tabs, Video Instructions

And from that, this. Pass your mouse over the chord diagrams :-)

O Grande Amor Chords by Bossa Nova Guitar

There are lead sheets on google.

User Info Menu

Currently it is 'close your eyes' .... bossa-nova- let's wait until the next time ....
    sorry for the confusion caused

User Info Menu

I don't know what the fuss is. Even Ella's version starts with a latin feel and switches to swing and back all over the place. Do it any way, it's still a nice tune

User Info Menu

I don't know what the fuss is. Even Ella's version starts with a latin feel and switches to swing and back all over the place. Do it any way, it's still a nice tune

That's not what I meant ... just about the next song 'Grande amor'
    Ella is great!

User Info Menu

Do it any way, it's still a nice tune
    Absolutely.

User Info Menu

I am close to a new club where jazz is played.
    Finally, there will be the audience and emotions.
    I have to admit that I play completely differently when there are real listeners in the room.
    True jazz is where it is live audience.

User Info Menu

I couldn't watch any more coverage of the first mass shooting of the day, and my wife and I have spent enough time for now hoping it would be the last. I just had to sit quietly and play the guitar for a while to cool my head, so I ran off a take of CYE with Mr Sunny Bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I couldn't watch any more coverage of the first mass shooting of the day, and my wife and I have spent enough time for now hoping it would be the last. I just had to sit quietly and play the guitar for a while to cool my head, so I ran off a take of CYE with Mr Sunny Bass.

I read about the latest shooting almost with disbelief this morning. Agree.

However, I really enjoyed your rendition of Close Your Eyes. Best swing version.

Lastly, what is Mr Sunny Bass?

User Info Menu

what is Mr Sunny Bass?
    Thanks for your comments! Mr Sunny Bass is a guy who posts bass-only backing tracks on YouTube. Here’s the one I used:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Thanks for your comments! Mr Sunny Bass is a guy who posts bass-only backing tracks on YouTube. Here’s the one I used:

Good stuff. That explains the lovely acoustic bass I heard

User Info Menu

Good stuff. That explains the lovely acoustic bass I heard
    I wonder how Mr.sunny records his backing?Does he use a metronome / he has a earphone in his ear /.