Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

This one from Triple_Jazz.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 76) - Poinciana-nat-simon-1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hard to find a picture of Nat Simon. But he did write it (not Ahmad Jamal) with lyrics by Buddy Bernier.

Technically, this is out of our time because it was written in 1936 but Triple likes it. So that's okay

User Info Menu

Here’s one I prepared earlier (as the TV chefs say):

User Info Menu

A gasping look across my face as I come to learn this is some crusty old 1930’s song not written by Jamal!! Either way, this song is Ahmad’s in the same way All Along the Watchtower is Hendrix’s. Very very nice track Graham, all the things we look to find when reaching into this bag.

User Info Menu

I will have to get in on this!!!!

User Info Menu

I have always like this song since I heard the Waikiki Beach Boys version. I will have to make an attempt as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    …..with lyrics by Buddy Bernier.
    I never knew there were lyrics!

User Info Menu

Yeah, this one is definitely a vocal tune that violates the "jazz standard" rule.

User Info Menu

An arrest warrant is out for Triple Jazz...

I think this was in the practical standards thread a few years back, that’s why I did it before.

I had an app for backing tracks on my ipad (session band) and one of the styles was actually called Poinciana, so I had to try that!

I’ve only heard this tune played at a gig once, it was by drummer Chico Hamilton’s band at Ronnie Scotts many years ago. Can’t remember who else was in the band, but they sounded great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

I think this was in the practical standards thread a few years back, that’s why I did it before.

I know, I was listening to it (and M-ster's version) last night. Pretty good :-)

User Info Menu

To be fair, apart from Ahmad Jamal, a lot of modern guys have done it instrumentally - Gary Burton, Keith Jarrett, Joscho Stefan, Michel Camilo, Bireli Lagrene, David Sanborn, McCoy Tyner, Chet Baker... it's quite a list. Allessio Menconi does it a lot.

I reckon it's the beat, they can't resist the drums, man. So, you know, let it roll

User Info Menu

The first encounter with this tune I can recall is this version :

User Info Menu

Subtle as a brick, John :-)

I'm debating whether to have Caribbean waves sloshing around in the background, but I might not

User Info Menu

Subtle as a brick, John :-)

I'm debating whether to have Caribbean waves sloshing around in the background, but I might not
    I love the Danny Gatton Version ... and the Four Freshman version ... and the Ahmad Jamal version. It's a great tune, and despite it being illegal, I'm glad it got called. I've tried many times to call it at jams, and it always gotten shot down. Anyway, if you think I'm subtle as a brick now ...

User Info Menu

I strongly suggest a Red Stripe bottle for slide. The sound is much richer and fuller than that from a Heineken bottle, and the intonation is far more accurate and controllable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I strongly suggest a Red Stripe bottle for slide. The sound is much richer and fuller than that from a Heineken bottle, and the intonation is far more accurate and controllable.
    I ain't gonna do no slidin', bro!

(I think that was for John re. Danny Gatton's bottle trick)

User Info Menu

Well I’m glad we are able to sneak it in. After all we had done Softly as in a Morning Sunrise in this V-Jam!!

User Info Menu

I ain't gonna do no slidin', bro!

(I think that was for John re. Danny Gatton's bottle trick)
    Red Stripe is Jamaican beer. It goes with your Caribbean waves.

User Info Menu

Here we go. Nice :-)

User Info Menu

We were about to go outside to enjoy the gorgeous day here when the sun went in and it turned as dark as Tal's tone. So I plugged in and ran this one off to one of those bass-only backing tracks on YT. The backing track turned out to be a bit longer than most (yes, I know I should have looked at the timing first!) - so feel free to stop it when your tank is full. I wanted to do a swing take, but I'll have to lay down the backing track myself first and the sun is coming back out. My wife is patiently waiting for me to go to our condo building's pool now......

Yes, Rags, the first chord is the same inside inversion that caught your attention in Nuages. But here, it's a G9 fingered xxx7433. I tried hard to do it as x357433 but that's one fret too close to the nut for me on the 810. I can do it in Ab, although I can't hit the form fast enough reliably enough for comping etc until A on this guitar.

User Info Menu

A fantastic Ahmad Jamal version showcasing the great guitarist Ray Crawford, was recorded in 1955. Great guitar voicing and moving double stops, on a single coil sounding jazz box!
    It was recorded 2 blocks from where I live in NYC (not that I was around there then.)
    Its been released on a Epic (SONY) release "Ahmad Jamal, The Legendary Okeh & Epic Recordings"

User Info Menu

Seek and ye shall find.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I wanted to do a swing take.
    I tried it swung but didn't like it. The changes are too straight, or something like that.

User Info Menu

Here we go. Recorded my usual way using my own backing track in jjazzlab. Still love this song despite so hearing so much lately

User Info Menu

Don't say I didn't warn you ...

(Mr. Sunny Bass + a GarageBand "drummer" track + not an archtop through not a Polytone)