The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Don't say I didn't warn you ...

(Mr. Sunny Bass + a GarageBand "drummer" track + not an archtop through not a Polytone)
    Well that was... different

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Well that was... different
    Good to know my intentions came across.

User Info Menu

The first encounter with this tune I can recall is this version :

Don't want to derail this thread but, Wow !....his jazz licks are amazing! I knew of him from his country contributions but never really heard his jazzier side ....Thanks for posting....

Ray

User Info Menu

Good to know my intentions came across.
    Haha. It was good, like a sports car painted a strange colour

User Info Menu

Here's another interesting version
    Listen at 7 minutes in...

User Info Menu

This one's nice. Maybe Joscho overdoes it a bit :-)

What's that smoke? Is the office on fire?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    H....I have to say I'm in awe of Graham's bebop version. It's a positive masterclass in almost faultless bebop lines. If I have time I might transcribe them. Not that I'll ever play them, I don't expect, but who knows.
    A great idea if you transcribe Graham's solo.
    Maybe you'll change your mind about wasting time doing transcription.
    Technical proficiency is required to play be-bop lines.
    Good Luck
    ps.
    Maybe it's just dreams.

User Info Menu

People are stealing my licks! At last!

User Info Menu

It wouldn't be too difficult and could be put up for public consumption. With your approval, naturally. Or I could give you the 'masters' and you could decide.

It won't be me who's stealing them, I can't play them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    People are stealing my licks! At last!
    For educational purposes, it would be very useful...

User Info Menu

It wouldn't be too difficult and could be put up for public consumption. With your approval, naturally. Or I could give you the 'masters' and you could decide.

It won't be me who's stealing them, I can't play them!
    By all means have a go, I don’t mind at all. You might want to skip the chordal stuff I did at the end, I don’t think that section will be very clear (I was using a solid-body guitar and an amp-modelling app on my iPad, which had some distortion on it).

As to the changes, it’s in the key of G by the sound of it, I probably used whatever I could find (real book?), I don’t really remember.

User Info Menu

I've already skipped the chordal stuff and I'm only doing the solos. I'm already halfway through the first one, it's not difficult. You seem a bit nonplussed! Can you show me the Real Book changes you've got then? They might be different from mine.

Don't forget, I spent a lot of my teen years getting stuff off records the hard way... lifting the arm up and down at 33rpm :-)

User Info Menu

Once around improv, no head. I thought there were better backing tracks on YouTube but I couldn’t find any. I used the most palatable one, sorry for those struggling with finding good back tracks.

User Info Menu

I've already skipped the chordal stuff and I'm only doing the solos. I'm already halfway through the first one, it's not difficult. You seem a bit nonplussed! Can you show me the Real Book changes you've got then? They might be different from mine.

Don't forget, I spent a lot of my teen years getting stuff off records the hard way... lifting the arm up and down at 33rpm :-)
    Well it was about 7 years ago! I probably typed some changes into the app I used for the backing, but I can’t find that version now.

The iReal changes look about right to me.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 76) - Poinciana-bd381ca8-addf-4509-b55e-b107bf29e75b-jpeg

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll check it out. As I said, they're all different. This one resembles nothing I've seen so far. It's only to get the right feel for what you're doing so it probably doesn't matter much.

User Info Menu

Great, Triple, lovely!

Aren't you glad you chose it?

Do a longer one!

User Info Menu

With all due respect, Rags, I have to disagree with you - I think it swings like a little kid on a playground in summer. I may not have done it full justice, but here's my after dinner drink of swing. The backing group is me on bass, me on keys, and the electric drummer on percussion.

User Info Menu

Triple -

Thanks for your like. The reason I eulogised it was because, whereas the temptation is to play it like a Hawaiian lullaby (!), you made it sound like jazz. Good one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    With all due respect, Rags, I have to disagree with you - I think it swings like a little kid on a playground in summer. I may not have done it full justice, but here's my after dinner drink of swing. The backing group is me on bass, me on keys, and the electric drummer on percussion.

Okay, but I think you're making it swing, as opposed to it being a swing tune. I don't mean you haven't done it well, of course, you have, but I definitely have my reservations.

User Info Menu

Okay, but I think you're making it swing, as opposed to it being a swing tune. I don't mean you haven't done it well, of course, you have, but I definitely have my reservations.
    Ragman,
    You promised a few months ago not to comment on other people's playing.
    This is not okay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit

Nice swinging version...+1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris;[URL="tel:1205249"
    1205249[/URL]]Ragman,
    You promised a few months ago not to comment on other people's playing.
    This is not okay.
    I think my headspace is perfect tonight to engage in what I find extraordinarily odd behavior. You continue to post the virtual jam of the week in your own post, jump over here to say your not going to post here, then literally post here. So, the obvious question or statement rather that I’m going to make is, just post those clips in here and be a part of the sesh. Don’t worry about anything or anyone else. You have a lovely and personal approach to the tunes you post but this whole power struggle is just ridiculous. We can bullshit with each other, we can say things in a certain way without it coming off too strong. That level of communication is very possible, even over the internet and across cultures. I just don’t get your angle sometimes. If you don’t want to be a part of the jam why consistently post your versions of the pick. Just post in this thread! Accept Rags for what he is and find value in THE GROUP. Please illuminate me if I’m missing something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I think my headspace is perfect tonight to engage in what I find extraordinarily odd behavior.
    Given the context, I can't tell if you mean you're drinking or you're NOT drinking.

User Info Menu

May not get to my own recording tonight, but this is an excellent bit here, even if Poinciana is only teased a bit in the middle:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I think my headspace is perfect tonight to engage in what I find extraordinarily odd behavior. You continue to post the virtual jam of the week in your own post, jump over here to say your not going to post here, then literally post here. So, the obvious question or statement rather that I’m going to make is, just post those clips in here and be a part of the sesh. Don’t worry about anything or anyone else. You have a lovely and personal approach to the tunes you post but this whole power struggle is just ridiculous. We can bullshit with each other, we can say things in a certain way without it coming off too strong. That level of communication is very possible, even over the internet and across cultures. I just don’t get your angle sometimes. If you don’t want to be a part of the jam why consistently post your versions of the pick. Just post in this thread! Accept Rags for what he is and find value in THE GROUP. Please illuminate me if I’m missing something.
    I think you're from another planet.
    For me, the most important thing is the music that I have been playing for 50 years.
    You are talking nonsense.Waste of time.