The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I came across this hip licks book. I love Rodney Jones' playing. Does anyone have any experience or comments on it?

Thanks.

Amazon.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm interested but would like to see what's inside before spending $23.

User Info Menu

The Mel Bay website has a list of the contents, and some sample pages showing a few of the lines.

Hip Guitar Lines eBook - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

User Info Menu

I worked on several licks when I was stuck at home during the pandemic. Lots of great modern lines with 4ths and much more. If you dig Rodney’s playing, the lines are very much in that vein. I really like it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The Mel Bay website has a list of the contents, and some sample pages showing a few of the lines.

Hip Guitar Lines eBook - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay
    Thanks but the excerpts are so small I can't read them. No way to enlarge them either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    Thanks but the excerpts are so small I can't read them. No way to enlarge them either.
    On an iPad you can enlarge them with a 2-finger pinch.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Much better!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2
    Much better!
    Bud, I love Rodney's style. I got introduced to his playing a few months ago here on the forum. kris and also Mark Kleinhaut, who regularly posts chord-melody performances and showed that he has a lot of nice Blues lines in himself as well, posted the first videos that I saw of him.

Here is the performance/jam with Mark and Rodney. Rodney is on the left of the screen. I got some great comping ideas from it as well.

User Info Menu

Thanks, grahambop. For some reason, I did not click on the "samples" button. I did see that there were no audio tracks available, but from looking at the sample, the lines seem to be pretty straightforward, rhythmically.

User Info Menu

I have a copy of this book and found it very useful and full of interesting lines that you could incorporate into your playing. Also, of course, Rodney's playing is fantastic, and I think the lines are an excellent example of his style.

User Info Menu

I bought the book and have gone through some of it, still working with it. I think it's great, lots of lines, lots of material to study, and the style of Rodney Jones is very clearly presented. I just play some licks (there are hundreds), and work with them for a few days. It is really about Rodney's licks and his way of moving around the fretboard.

User Info Menu

I ordered the book yesterday and received it today.

Given his multiple epic Jazz Blues videos on Youtube, I was a bit disappointed that there were no lines directly applied to Jazz Blues Progressions, although out of the 167 lines, there were around 15 pages (122 pages total for the entire book) that were for 2-5-1s, and 1-6-2-5 lines.

But at this point, I can hear a line and tailor it to my needs (not on the fly, mind you) to create lines that I can use in Jazz Blues.

I am through buying books with licks, now. And, I am looking forward to utilizing this book, especially if any of the lines that I tried are any indication of the books quality. So far, they have been great and cover a lot of fretboard.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 06-26-2022 at 03:22 PM.