The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Next one from John A,

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 75) - Pent Up House-index-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Apologies in advance if you hurt yourself trying to dance to this. I somehow changed the tempo in the backing track several times within the same take, so there's a bit of unintended whiplash:

Last edited by wzpgsr; 06-18-2022 at 02:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Heh heh :-)

Well, this is one of those tunes that's really a vehicle for bebop soloing. It's a band tune so I won't bother learning the head because, apart from being a rhythmical nightmare, it's not necessary. The soloing section goes

Am7 - D7 - GM7 - %
    Am7 - D7 - GM7 - %
    Dm7 - G7 - Cm7 - F7
    Am7 - D7 - GM7 - %

Which is uninjurious - except you've got to make something out of it. If you go too outside it just sounds weird so you're kind of stuck with diatonic plus some color notes. And I don't do stuff too fast.

So we've got this. I know, it sounds like a cop-out. But at least I did it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Heh heh :-)

Well, this is one of those tunes that's really a vehicle for bebop soloing. It's a band tune so I won't bother learning the head because, apart from being a rhythmical nightmare, it's not necessary. The soloing section goes

Am7 - D7 - GM7 - %
    Am7 - D7 - GM7 - %
    Dm7 - G7 - Cm7 - F7
    Am7 - D7 - GM7 - %

Which is uninjurious - except you've got to make something out of it. If you go too outside it just sounds weird so you're kind of stuck with diatonic plus some color notes. And I don't do stuff too fast.

So we've got this. I know, it sounds like a cop-out. But at least I did it
    Right. Without a melody to hang your hat on, you’re 100% responsible for the integrity of your solo. I clearly have little integrity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Right. Without a melody to hang your hat on, you’re 100% responsible for the integrity of your solo. I clearly have little integrity.
    Quite. I do think it helps to play the melody prior to soloing, or at least listen to it, because it influences what you play, like the rhythm of the phrases. I've been caught out before with tunes I didn't know. I thought 'I've got the tempo, got the chord progression, just do it'. But playing it back against the melody... no :-)

User Info Menu

If I may, I just have to post one of my favorite performances of this song (I am not in it, of course). I love the head of the song, and all the players came through. I really like the brightness, too.

User Info Menu

"Pent up House" is an excellent piece, which is a test of whether we have the language of jazz.
    II V I and II V-are basic jazz progressions.Of course, the tempo is a bit of a challenge - but it is manageable.
    The version of Joe Pass - a mine of beautiful phrases II V I and II V is excellent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    If I may, I just have to post one of my favorite performances of this song (I am not in it, of course). I love the head of the song, and all the players came through. I really like the brightness, too.

Hey thanks man, you do know that is Me (reg). I had just started subbing with that band.

User Info Menu

Here we go.

Oh jeez, I just listened to mine and realized I butchered the head (stares at ground, shuffles feet). Oh well, I had fun anyway. That to me is the point of this tune.
    Last edited by John A.; 06-19-2022 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey thanks man, you do know that is Me (reg). I had just started subbing with that band.
    Ha, ha! Yeah, I knew. It was one great performance.

It even had me wanting to buy a mandolin, like your buddy in the video. But reality ruled the day, and I figured I had better stick with trying to get the guitar mastered, like you. That was one hell of a short-notice sub you put in!

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    "Pent up House" is an excellent piece, which is a test of whether we have the language of jazz.
    II V I and II V-are basic jazz progressions.Of course, the tempo is a bit of a challenge - but it is manageable.
    The version of Joe Pass - a mine of beautiful phrases II V I and II V is excellent.

Wow! It always moves me when I hear Joe Pass playing at breakneck speed, and just making so many great melodies. Some of his notes are so fast that is seems he almost missed them, but no, he get them to sound out just enough.

After hearing all the versions of this song, I have to say that it has moved up into my top 10 Jazz Songs. I guess I am a sucker for a great bass line and a bunch of 2-5-1 progressions.

User Info Menu

Happy Fathers' Day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here we go.

Oh jeez, I just listened to mine and realized I butchered the head (stares at ground, shuffles feet). Oh well, I had fun anyway. That to me is the point of this tune.
    Nice. There was a particular long run of 8th notes in there that was smack dab on the beat and sounded really cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Nice. There was a particular long run of 8th notes in there that was smack dab on the beat and sounded really cool.
    Thanks. I like what you did in yours. The swing feel is really.good, and the tone is great. Would love to hear more.

User Info Menu

Coming in way late! I really fell in love with playing this tune, although I know of it I never learned it. I had a blast tonight playing it and am sure to cut a few more takes down the road. Great pick John!

User Info Menu

Guitar and Mandolin - Great together! I wish the recording didn't have so much background noise.

Mark