Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

This one from nevershouldhavesoldit.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 74) - Prelude To A Kiss-duke-forum-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

(I should tell you that Prelude To A Kiss was the tune of the month on the Practical Standards thread in May 2019.

However, on the grounds that it was all three years ago and most of the contributors to it at that time are not posting now, I'm letting it through. Apart from the fact that nevershouldhavesoldit requested it, of course, and it's an interesting tune harmonically).

User Info Menu

I may as well be first up this time. I did it all before some years ago but this is new. It's quite an easy tune to play fairly diatonically but it pales after a while so I've spiced the solo a bit. Better, I think.

I really am looking forward to seeing what you all do with it!

User Info Menu

Great call! Such a lovely tune

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I may as well be first up this time. I did it all before some years ago but this is new. It's quite an easy tune to play fairly diatonically but it pales after a while so I've spiced the solo a bit. Better, I think.

I really am looking forward to seeing what you all do with it!

Your style fits this song very well! Sounds good man.

User Info Menu

Hee's my take. Both guitars are my Eastman 810 CE7, fingerstyle on the left and plectrum on the right.

User Info Menu

Ouch, well, it's not getting any better, so I am posting it.

Once again, backing by jjazzlab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Hee's my take. Both guitars are my Eastman 810 CE7, fingerstyle on the left and plectrum on the right.

The best one take.
    Artistic creation.
    Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    The best one take.
    Artistic creation.
    Congrats.
    Thanks! Waking up to find such a nice post really made my day.

User Info Menu

Simpler but slightly faster.

User Info Menu

Simpler but slightly faster.
    You really captured the swing vibe of the era in which it was written (late ‘30s) with that one. I think Duke would have enjoyed it, and if he’d first recorded it that way it would have been more popular than it was.

I also hear a budding gypsy in it. I like it and may try that approach myself.

User Info Menu

I also hear a budding gypsy in it.
    I think it was you (maybe) who said something like that about another tune I did. I can tell you I know nothing about gypsy guitar except it's usually much, much quicker than that and there's a lot of arpeggiating in what they do. So it was all completely accidental and unswayed, as far as I'm aware, by any subconscious bias. To be honest, I was only concerned with outlining the changes properly.

Actually, I thought it dragged a bit... :-)

But thank you anyway!

User Info Menu

I think it was you (maybe) who said something like that about another tune I did. I can tell you I know nothing about gypsy guitar except it's usually much, much quicker than that and there's a lot of arpeggiating in what they do. So it was all completely accidental and unswayed, as far as I'm aware, by any subconscious bias. To be honest, I was only concerned with outlining the changes properly.

Actually, I thought it dragged a bit... :-)

But thank you anyway!
    Gypsy jazz is not all about speed. There's a relaxed swing underneath even the most blistering leads, along with steady guitar comping that rivals most big band guitarists. It's about the tone and a simple approach to the right changes. I think the essence of gypsy jazz is the balance of speed with coolness.

Two guitars are the perfect combo for playing gypsy style ballads. Check out Joscho Stephan and Tommy Emmanuel playing the Beatles' Something In The Way She Moves and If I Had You for inspiration:

Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 06-12-2022 at 03:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Never, thanks, I know you mean well but I am not a fan of gypsy stuff. A little goes a long way with me. I like saxophones and American jazz. And Bossa Nova by Jobim :-)

(When I said I knew nothing about it, I meant playing it, not who does it. I'm very aware of who does it!)

User Info Menu

Just a bit of fun...

(note zero fret on the right)

User Info Menu

I haven't played this very often, and not in quite a while. Beautiful tune. On to checking out you guys ...

User Info Menu

It's in black and white because it's supposed to be mysterious
    You’ve defined a new genre - “guitar noir”!

User Info Menu

Rags: Nice takes. This tune suits your approach well.

Mastodon: Very cool arrangement. I like the re-harms. Would love to hear you blow a bit.

J4zz: It sounds to me like you've got the "what notes should I play over these changes?" part pretty much solved. I think the key to making this sound a bit more alive is to work on rhythm, especially on adding a stronger sense of swing time and bringing in more triplet-based figures and phrases.

Nevercouldawouldshoulda: Very nice arrangement on the head and cool soloing.

It's an "easy" tune in the sense that the changes are pretty straightforward and the melody gives lots of clues as to how to solo. But it's a real challenge to maintain energy and interest on long-form ballads.
    Last edited by John A.; 06-13-2022 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

You’ve defined a new genre - “guitar noir”!
    That's me, completely in the dark :-)

Good joke, though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

J4zz: It sounds to me like you've got the "what notes should I play over these changes?" part pretty much solved. I think the key to making this sound a bit more alive is to work on rhythm, especially on adding a stronger sense of swing time and bringing in more triplet-based figures and phrases.
    Thanks. OK, I will try to keep that in mind. I nearly didn't post my attempt but it was actually in the hope that I might get some good advice that I eventually put it up anyway. Appreciated !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    It's an "easy" tune in the sense that the changes are pretty straightforward and the melody gives lots of clues as to how to solo. But it's a real challenge to maintain energy and interest on long-form ballads.
    Playing Ballads is not what you write.
    The real challenge is to slow tempo and create the right climate.
    Mastering the building of musical phrases, sparing playing and building tension and introducing the mood - these are the challenges for every musician who plays ballads.
    my 1cent...:-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Playing Ballads is not what you write.
    The real challenge is to slow tempo and create the right climate.
    Mastering the building of musical phrases, sparing playing and building tension and introducing the mood - these are the challenges for every musician who plays ballads.
    my 1cent...:-)
    Best
    Kris
    "Building of musical phrases, sparing playing and building tension and introducing the mood" are all part of what I meant, so I don't think we're actually in disagreement.

User Info Menu

Gypsy jazz is not all about speed. There's a relaxed swing underneath even the most blistering leads, along with steady guitar comping that rivals most big band guitarists. It's about the tone and a simple approach to the right changes. I think the essence of gypsy jazz is the balance of speed with coolness.
    "If I am fancy free, and like to wander, it's just the gypsy in my prelude."

I'm loving gypsy guitar more every day and am trying to learn to play in the genre. I've even started doing sweep picking exercises, but I'm far from proficient at that yet. Even so, I was inspired by ragman's take and wanted to give this one a try as a gypsy swing tune (albeit without sweep picking). The bass is my Fender P, and both guitar parts are played on my Ibanez 7 string flattop (all direct into a DAI):

User Info Menu

Never, I have to say, if I was going to try playing gypsy jazz, Prelude To A Kiss wouldn't be my first choice :-)

User Info Menu

Never, I have to say, if I was going to try playing gypsy jazz, Prelude To A Kiss wouldn't be my first choice :-)
    It wasn’t mine either - but it was the road less traveled, so I took it. Ya gotta start somewhere

Django recorded PTAK on a 78 single in 1949, but I’ve never heard it so I don’t know how he played it. I can’t find it anywhere, but hopefully a copy will turn up.