The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi,

Been playing a long time but keep debating checking out the Harris DVD workshops. Just seeing what your experience was if you've purchased. Have taken lessons w chris parks and been studying Barry's work awhile now. Just always wondered, much thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguy78
    Hi,

Been playing a long time but keep debating checking out the Harris DVD workshops. Just seeing what your experience was if you've purchased. Have taken lessons w chris parks and been studying Barry's work awhile now. Just always wondered, much thanks in advance.
    Do it
    The DVD sets are the nearest thing you’ll have to studying with him now sadly

That said a lot of the actual info will probs be familiar though if you’re studying with Chris.

I did take some of his later zoom classes that he did online before be passed away, just hearing him play alone was worth it.

User Info Menu

I did take some of his later zoom classes that he did online before be passed away, just hearing him play alone was worth it.
    i really hope someone was recording those. I only made one and it was actually really good, in some ways more useful than the live workshops where it could be hard to hear Barry

Yes, they where recorded I just checked some i took from awhile back they're still there, when you'd sign up for a class they'd send u a pw.

If anyone is reading this thread, I have workshop vol 1 for sale like new w book, please message me if interested. Thanks

User Info Menu

If anyone is reading this thread, I have workshop vol 1 for sale like new w book, please message me if interested. Thanks
    It sounds like you just purchased it. Just curious, why do you want to flip it so quickly? It wasn't what you had expected?
    Last edited by Tal_175; 06-20-2022 at 04:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I watched his YouTube videos a while ago, and I recommend them to any musicians, not only guitarists.

Here's part one:

I'm hoping this thread can offer a little advice. My husband has been teaching himself the Barry Harris method for quite some time and often logged into to the love streams. I would like to buy him the Workshops and books that accompany. Does anyone know if these can be bought as a download or are they DVD only? We're based in the UK.
    I'm guessing the USA dvd format may not play on a UK player?
    Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

Hi there, are you UK or US based? I'm really interested!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sophievwhitley
    I'm hoping this thread can offer a little advice. My husband has been teaching himself the Barry Harris method for quite some time and often logged into to the love streams. I would like to buy him the Workshops and books that accompany. Does anyone know if these can be bought as a download or are they DVD only? We're based in the UK.
    Go to Howard Rees’s site at Contact – Howard Rees' Jazz Workshops and use the contact form to ask whether the dvds are UK compatible. You can order them from the same site or he may be able to direct you to a UK distributor.

User Info Menu

I have one or two dvd sets, I can't remember. None of them were as informative as youtube's "Things I learned from Barry Harris", "Labyrinth of Limitations", Issac Raz, and a host of others. That said, there's no substitute for learning the scales, the chord scales, the borrowed note chord scales, and applying one's new found knowledge to tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sophievwhitley
    Hi: I contacted the producer of the DVD's and indeed they are region free so will work in the UK.

Your husband will love them.

Alan

User Info Menu

I have both. I was in almost all of Barry’s Zoom classes, but was very glad I had the books as I often needed to use them as reference material. They are spendy but I’m very glad I had them.

They have also helped watching videos of several players who teach Barry’s method.

User Info Menu

I’m in the UK and the DVDs work fine

User Info Menu

I’m looking for a way to watch the Barry Harris zoom class recording. I didn’t know this course when it’s open. I’ve bought the workshop 1 and 2 from the link on his website, but I don’t know whether the zoom recording will have more up-to-date knowledge. Are there any Barry’s students or friends or the attendants of the zoom class who want to sell or share the recording or the password of it?