The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mastodonovan
    I had to learn this one and realized that the intro is played a couple different ways and I didn’t exactly have the rhythm of the melody down after listening to a couple more versions last night. Heres a take and maybe ill do another with the other intro and the correct melody. About to go to work but will listen to the other takes later!
    That sounded pretty good. I haven't tried it but I should think soloing with that click on the off-beat isn't too easy. Nice tuneful effort.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I think the natural analogue is breathing. We normally breathe in, then out, then pause briefly before taking the next breath. The pause is apparently a major focus in some yoga practices, as it’s believed to be essential to spiritual health.

When I first got my Roland guitar synth, I loved being able to play sax lines and took some of my solos that way. One night shortly after I got it, I was deep into what I thought was a decent “sax” solo when one of my band mates yelled “Breathe!!! Sax players have to breathe!” at me. He made me realize that I’d been playing guitar solos using the sound of a saxophone but not the spirit.

Ever since then, I’ve let my own breathing guide a lot of my playing. I’m not into yoga or spirituality, but it does feel right.
    I hadn't thought of breathing patterns but you may have a point. Your story about the sax soloing was fun.

I had a friend once who used to be a fair sprinter and hurdler. Unfortunately she had a habit of concentrating by gritting her teeth and holding her breath in... not the best idea. The coach would have to yell 'Breathe!' at her all the time. But she made out apparently. I put it down to long legs and utter necessity :-)

User Info Menu

I feel like I'm cheating by using a slow backing track, but I was crashin' and burnin' pretty bad at 216 bpm.

User Info Menu

In the end it's only a chord progression. There's no law that says you have to pile through it. You do play some lovely lines and probably that's what counts. IMO, that is :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I’m going in with an organ trio cut!

lots of cool harmonic ideas here, thanks for calling this tune I wasn’t familiar with!