The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

After the earlier problems from some people posting images, I am now having trouble getting this topic thread to load. A lot of the time, it just sits trying to load with a blank page in the browser. Not seeing it on any other threads, not even the last JGBE Misty.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sure Dirk will get back to us when he can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    See what I mean about rhythm changes?
    Certainly, with some adjustments. I mean RC in C, simplified, would be

C - G7 - C - G7
    C7 - F - C - G7

whereas this one goes

C - G7 - C - G7
    C - G7 - C - C7
    F - C7 - F - G7
    C - G7 - C - (G7)

so the F part happens a bar earlier.

But thing about this tune is how to make it sound appropriately weird without going bananas. Have you heard Bernstein's version? :-)

User Info Menu

In my naivety, I just saw it as the first part of something bluesy in C (C C F C) So I dropped down to Amin and felt out the tune in pentatonic, targetting notes I heard in my head and throwing in some blue and other oddities. Didn't fully succeed, but...

User Info Menu

Blues appears to work over the changes but it's not really a blues. Check out a guy called Josh Smith on YouTube doing Bemsha from his album Inception. Seriously great playing but jazz it's not :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Certainly, with some adjustments. I mean RC in C, simplified, would be

C - G7 - C - G7
    C7 - F - C - G7

whereas this one goes

C - G7 - C - G7
    C - G7 - C - C7
    F - C7 - F - G7
    C - G7 - C - (G7)

so the F part happens a bar earlier.

But thing about this tune is how to make it sound appropriately weird without going bananas. Have you heard Bernstein's version? :-)
    That's not quite what I meant, and actually I shouldn't have said it's like rhythm changes (my bad). I really meant that it's I VI7 (or vi) ii V x2, with a modulation to IV, so partially RC. But RC melodic ideas work (ish) over it. There are a couple of "I Got Rhythm" Quotes in my version.

I've heard a couple of Bernstein versions. There's also a video out there where he talks about how you can play literally anything as subs for I vi ii V (and demonstrates). Those both had a big impact on how I think about this tune.

It seems like a few people are not thrilled with the call because the changes as written (which ever version you find) are challenging. But I see them more as liberating than challenging. The tune allows for a lot of dissonance (even to the point of going bananas, which also go very well with shredded wheat cereal, BTW). Let the bass player worry about the changes, and just go for stuff. Your job as a soloist (or comper) on this tune is not to play the changes. It's to evoke the shape of the tune while doing your own thing.

User Info Menu

Your job as a soloist (or comper) on this tune is not to play the changes. It's to evoke the shape of the tune while doing your own thing.
    Spot on, brother

Which Bernstein video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gionnio
    It’s interesting that Monk is often given sole composer credit. I’m pretty sure that Denzil Best actually wrote it. Best’s family was from Barbados, for which Bimsha is the colloquial name. He was a very talented multi-instrumentalist who was in George Shearing’s first quartet, played on Erroll Garner’s Concert by the Sea, and recorded with Tristano and Konitz. It’s great to be honoring him by including and playing this tune.

User Info Menu

Spot on, brother

Which Bernstein video?
    I haven't been able to find it again, alas.

User Info Menu

The Miles/Monk version is interesting. Monk starts the head in his usual plonky way but Miles' solo is very melodic. No blues stuff, occasionally slightly chromatic, but basically melodic. Same with the vibes. It's only Monk who gets a bit boppy, if you can call it that.

What I'm saying is that melodic solos don't go amiss despite the changes.

User Info Menu

It seems like a few people are not thrilled with the call because the changes as written (which ever version you find) are challenging. But I see them more as liberating than challenging. The tune allows for a lot of dissonance (even to the point of going bananas, which also go very well with shredded wheat cereal, BTW). Let the bass player worry about the changes, and just go for stuff. Your job as a soloist (or comper) on this tune is not to play the changes. It's to evoke the shape of the tune while doing your own thing.
    I've always dug this tune. I'm just going to horse around with it for a few more days looking for simple ways to make connect chords without getting to obsessed with nailing all the changes. So far, I am finding some good sounds in treating the first bar and a half as Am and then sliding down a half step to Abm to grab just one or two choice notes from the Ab melodic minor / G7 altered altered family before resolving back to C. Seems to me that's essentially what the melody is doing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I've always dug this tune. I'm just going to horse around with it for a few more days looking for simple ways to make connect chords without getting to obsessed with nailing all the changes. So far, I am finding some good sounds in treating the first bar and a half as Am and then sliding down a half step to Abm to grab just one or two choice notes from the Ab melodic minor / G7 altered altered family before resolving back to C. Seems to me that's essentially what the melody is doing.
    I appreciate hearing how different people view the piece and how they approach it. Yes, I thought Am was a good starting point. I will have to try your Abm change.

User Info Menu

Blues appears to work over the changes but it's not really a blues. Check out a guy called Josh Smith on YouTube doing Bemsha from his album Inception. Seriously great playing but jazz it's not :-)
    I do not see things as black and white as that, especially with jazz and the huge variety of music that normally encompasses. A video I was watching the other day described jazz blues, as blues without as much bending

User Info Menu

I wasn't thinking in terms of chord tones or scales (obviously), except for making the C's and F's clear. Otherwise, I was focusing on sounds accents, and motifs (and finding places to quote "I Got Rhythm" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"). I actually recorded a bunch of takes one after another, and went with the weirdest one. It was that kind of day.

User Info Menu

I love this song. Fred Hersch Trio does an amazing job with it on his Village Vanguard record. I’ve got the day off tomorrow and will hopefully cut a track.

Neverwould I got Phish circa 94’ vibes from your take. You may love or hate that comment!

J4zz I’d suggest some more tension in your phrases, will make you not feel like you’re noodling and more interesting

John those double stops were killin!

Always a pleasure to hear your renditions Rags

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz

J4zz I’d suggest some more tension in your phrases, will make you not feel like you’re noodling and more interesting

Yep, I agree. I will have to work on it. My head knows, gotta teach my fingers I feel I am progressing faster simply as a result of participating in this forum

Thanks !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    Yep, I agree. I will have to work on it. My head knows, gotta teach my fingers I feel I am progressing faster simply as a result of participating in this forum

Thanks !
    Welcome aboard. These threads have helped my playing quite a bit. It’s good to have some sort of “shit or get off the pot” accountability every week if you’re not a regularly gigging musician.

User Info Menu

Here we go. See what I mean about rhythm changes?

I do see! Especially when you quote it right in your solo! Seriously, that was a cool take. You managed to quote RC, then immediately touch on what sounded like southern rock, and then do whatever that crazy run just before the 1:30 mark was—all within 3 choruses.

User Info Menu

Neverwould I got Phish circa 94’ vibes from your take. You may love or hate that comment!
    No worries, mate! I appreciate the input and I'm impervious to insult.
    JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 72) - Bemsha Swing-drinking-red-wine-gif

User Info Menu

I love this song. Fred Hersch Trio does an amazing job with it on his Village Vanguard record. I’ve got the day off tomorrow and will hopefully cut a track.

John those double stops were killin!

Always a pleasure to hear your renditions Rags
    Thanks

I do see! Especially when you quote it right in your solo! Seriously, that was a cool take. You managed to quote RC, then immediately touch on what sounded like southern rock, and then do whatever that crazy run just before the 1:30 mark was—all within 3 choruses.
    Everything but the kitchen sink (that goes in the next tune). Thanks.

Good stuff from everybody so far.

User Info Menu

Here we go. For better or for worse, working on this tune has persuaded me to keep this guitar.

User Info Menu

Excuse for asking but what's the difference between 'Virtual jam' and 'Standard of the month' threads?

I just missed the moment when Virtual jam appeared and maybe I do not know something.

I only see that Virtual Jams happens more often. But are there any rules? or something?

Thank you

User Info Menu

There’s a ‘sticky thread’ under Improvisation which has the details:

JGBE Virtual Jam Song List and "Rules"

User Info Menu

As graham says. Also see here (somebody else asked the same question):

April 2022 - A Foggy Day

User Info Menu

infectious song..request to Graham to record it...like his stuff....cheers