I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very useful information.
    Great Gibson!

User Info Menu

Hey Christian,
    Great video, as always. I have a question:
    When you get to the Weather Report tune, you say your treating the chords as lydian and then spell them out as mixo. Are you just sticking with the theme you started, or is this part of your organization ?

I ask because I'm having some questions about my own methods of organization. Strangely enough, that's a topic I hadn't considered much until I saw one of our members post about it ... a couple times

-best,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mjo
    Hey Christian,
    Great video, as always. I have a question:
    When you get to the Weather Report tune, you say your treating the chords as lydian and then spell them out as mixo. Are you just sticking with the theme you started, or is this part of your organization ?

I ask because I'm having some questions about my own methods of organization. Strangely enough, that's a topic I hadn't considered much until I saw one of our members post about it ... a couple times

-best,
    Mike
    If I understand the question, this is because it’s the theme of the video.

When I play a tune (any tune) I might have several different approaches I bring to bear. Barry himself said the more ways you have of looking at a tune, the more things you will have to say on it.

Using D7 on C creates an overall Lydian tonality, but the use of the half steps are drawn from the D7 scale, which is certainly not the only way to do it, but is what I’m using in the video; maximising the use of what we learned already in the first half (which is something we do a lot with Barry)

The idea is that eventually you can apply anything on anything else…. But that’s quite a few videos haha. But minor is an obvious one. You should be able to convert every chord to a melodic minor, and so on.

i feel part of my development is getting rid of the walls between things - oh this is bebop stuff you can’t apply this on non functional changes, that type of thing.

User Info Menu

There's plenty of legit Fusion guys, many of my favorite Fusion players are steeped in bop anyway. Fusion isn't a dirty word too me, if it's good it's good. Stern still loves all the old jazz material and studies constantly, for instance.

User Info Menu

I saw Stern at much missed 55 bar a few years back and tbh it just sounded like pure high level bop to me. His bass player of the evening Teymour Phell is just steeped in that stuff too, which is interesting for an electric bass player.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Mike's a very sweet cat and a burner when I met him as a teenager he was asking me how it sounded, then 38 yrs later at the 55 the same thing, saw him w Miles back in the day that was amazing. The Standards record is great imo. There's a new release from the 80s w Harvie S trio it's burning, w Allan Dawson on drums, just killing it.