The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I’ve never found improvising over this tune easy.
    The wind blows strongest at the top of the mountain, and anyone can steer the ship when the sea is calm

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree. It looks easy, it's slow, there are several 2-5-I's, and all that. But, for some reason, in actual practice it doesn't quite work out that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I love doing this doubletime a la Groove Holmes
    I listened to it in half-time.

User Info Menu

I think this is one of your strongest takes. Nice job.

User Info Menu

Triple -

I'm not saying you didn't do a good job. You did! I put a like on it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I listened to it in half-time.
    If you listen backwards it says "Paul is dead".

User Info Menu

It was only a matter of time...

'In 1975, singer Ray Stevens released an up-tempo country rendition of this song. It is the title track of his twelfth studio album. Stevens recounted that the song was recorded on the second take when experimenting in the studio. His version won a Grammy in the category of Music Arrangement of the Year.This version peaked at number fourteen on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached number two in the United Kingdom.'

Misty (song) - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr;[URL="tel:1199634"
    1199634[/URL]]I think this is one of your strongest takes. Nice job.
    Thank you! It’s a lesson in always trying new tunes. I find focusing on a song that, maybe I’ve tinkered with, will Come out much better when I’m really focusing on trying to sound good. Playing the same old songs tends to trap you into the same old approach.

Your take was quite wonderful, lots of very tasty licks.
    Last edited by Triple_Jazz; 05-25-2022 at 08:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice work everybody. This is a challenging tune. The form is a long and winding road, with a detour into the strange land of A min in the middle that can really hang people up. Regarding tempo, I like this in double time because I like to have a groove, but I also want to have time to stretch out on the changes. Just increasing the tempo makes the it blow by a little too fast for the way I feel the tune. I also like to do it as a straight ballad, but I figured everyone else would do that, so for the sake of variety ...

A also think this is one of those tunes where to make it work you have to kind set aside the idea of hitting the changes and focus on other aspects of building melodies -- motivic development, variation in note density, phrasing, dynamics, double-timing here and there, articulations, blues-isms, etc. Ballads are opportunities to be a guitar player, not just a changes-machine. So don't sweat the changes and play some guitar.

User Info Menu

Now I'm in the mood for a ballad. I'm still trying out delay and ambience plugins, so I used Pong on the guitar for the intro and Valhalla on the mix of the rest of the tune. The drum track is sampled, the bass is my fiesta red '57 P - and this little ditty's for you & me, Cliff. I call it "Misterly".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Now I'm in the mood for a ballad. I'm still trying out delay and ambience plugins, so I used Pong on the guitar for the intro and Valhalla on the mix of the rest of the tune. The drum track is sampled, the bass is my fiesta red '57 P - and this little ditty's for you & me, Cliff. I call it "Misterly".
    I liked it. Something different I would not have thought of. Gives me some ideas to experiment with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    I liked it. Something different I would not have thought of. Gives me some ideas to experiment with.
    Thanks! To me, exploring new ideas is what the VJ is all about. Running through a tune the way we’d play it on stage and/or have played it many times before seems like an idle exercise. I approach each tune here looking for new grooves. And the feedback among participants leads to more new ideas.

I’ve added a lot of things to my playing that I found on or brought to VJ even in the few months since I discovered it. I thank you all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit;[URL="tel:1199723"
    1199723[/URL]]Thanks! To me, exploring new ideas is what the VJ is all about. Running through a tune the way we’d play it on stage and/or have played it many times before seems like an idle exercise. I approach each tune here looking for new grooves. And the feedback among participants leads to more new ideas.

I’ve added a lot of things to my playing that I found on or brought to VJ even in the few months since I discovered it. I thank you all!
    Thats definitely the value of the VJ!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit

Ha ha! Love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    Ha ha! Love it!
    I’m glad! It’ll be on my upcoming album, “Songs Easily Confused With Each Other by Old Musicians”. Also featured are Tendy and a continuous medley of seven tunes whose names start with “Yesterday”.

User Info Menu

I hope you're going to include fan-favourite Blue In Green Dolphin Street

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I hope you're going to include fan-favourite Blue In Green Dolphin Street
    Thanks for reminding me! It’ll be between Work Song for my Father and Mad About the Girl from Ipanema. Right now, I’m polishing my original ballad “Fools Rush In and Get the Best Seats”.

This could lead to a new Grammy category!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Let 'er rip

Tone to die for.