The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

Another one from Triple_Jazz.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 70) - Seven Steps To Heaven-davis-ssth-forum-4-jpg
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-12-2022 at 08:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OMG I forgot about calling this one !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Not familiar with this one, but the tempo I am hearing on the Lonnie Smith Live at Club Mozambique is intimidating!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Not familiar with this one, but the tempo I am hearing on the Lonnie Smith Live at Club Mozambique is intimidating!
    The actual tune (both melody and changes) is pretty simple, but it's usually played super fast. The Miles live version from the "Four and More" album is insane. I imagine even Rags will pick up the tempo to, like, 62 BPM.
    Last edited by John A.; 05-13-2022 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    Love this tune. It will be interesting to see what people can do with it. I've always thought Tony Williams was incredible on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I imagine even Rags will pick up the tempo to, like, 62 BPM.
    Nah, I'll just turn it into a bossa :-)

(I won't)

User Info Menu

I've never played bebop although I have my own sort of version of that sound. Nor am I a fast player. I have been but these days not really.

So what I normally do, out of necessity, is slow it down and it tends to come out more like a ballad. And this has been noticed by quite a few people!

After trying that first I then might try a latin version for want of an alternative.

I did look at this tune and thought there was no way I'm going to be able to play it as it should be played. We really need players like grahambop and Dutchbopper to do it justice.

So what'll probably happen, if I do it at all, is it'll come out as a much slower swing version. Hopefully a bit quicker than 62 bpm :-)

The problem with that, of course, is it'll have almost nothing to do with the original tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris;[URL="tel:1197588"
    1197588[/URL]]I don't know what the point of picking fast tunes for virtual jam is...?
    Probably only to show everyone and the world their technical shortcomings.

good luck!
    To annoy you, of course!

User Info Menu

So here we go...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is my version on the classical guitar, which I really like to play lately.
    Fast samba to swing style with my fast fingers/no pick/ 235 BPM...
    Enjoy
    That is one cool, musical, and relaxing take on a bop tune!

User Info Menu

This is my version on the classical guitar, which I really like to play lately.
    Fast samba to swing style with my fast fingers/no pick/ 235 BPM...
    Enjoy:

Box
    Very nice playing, K! I thought I was listening to Laurindo Almeida! Nice feel!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I don't know what the point of picking fast tunes for virtual jam is...?
    Probably only to show everyone and the world their technical shortcomings.

good luck!
    The point is to be a competent musician. Playing up tunes is part of the tradition that has sadly been lost. Many great players that dont have crazy chops have found a way to deal with tempo. They all have great time though.

User Info Menu

you used to play fast ... when was that?
    Years ago, when I used a pick.

"We really need players like grahambop and Dutchbopper to do it justice."
    we or you?
    We, as in the forum, not me personally. Very few people here play authentic bebop. Mostly it's sort of adapted rock/blues. Proper bebop is different.

Dutchbopper-forget about him because he quit participating in the JG Forum.Big loss.
    I thought he still posted occasionally. Well, that leaves grahambop and maybe Christian. There aren't that many. I'm not saying it matters that much, I'm just pointing it out.

In any case, I think the real issue here is to have fun, not conform to some standard. Let's enjoy what we do!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Very few people here play authentic bebop. Mostly it's sort of adapted rock/blues.
    Boy, that sure gets me all warm and fuzzy feeling about the take I'm planning on posting later as an attempt to get back into things here...

User Info Menu

Be, bop, and nothing but the bop. I shortened the backing track I used (youtube.com/watch?v=VgfHd2xInZY) to 3 minutes from the original 16:16 (!) on YT. I had so much fun with this that the ending snuck up on me and I downshifted a bit clumsily after stumbling into the outro. But here it is in one take (yes, I already knew the tune). No strings were bent in the making of this track.

User Info Menu

Couldn't sit this one out...had never played this before, so here's a "first take worst take" as they say.

User Info Menu

The guitar is in the foreground in this recording and it's hard to hear the rhythm section working.
    Interesting musical ideas, but thin strings in playing jazz on Tele is an articulation challenge.
    Especially with a fast tempo...
    It really is! I keep this guitar at school for using with my guitar club, and I wasn't ready for how different it felt trying to play jazz lines on .010s! Had a few minutes at lunch so I went for it.

Not my usual recording setup either, but I wanted to get a quick take in...now I can listen to the others, maybe even get a retry in tomorrow...

User Info Menu

.. it's hard to master thin-thick strings.
    Good Luck
    None needed, I have no intent to try and master jazz playing on thin strings! Haven't even got close on thick yet.

Kris, I liked both of your takes...you can definitely hear the Martino influence on the electric take. I keep coming back to the samba version, and it sounds very refreshing and I always like the way you sound on nylon strings. Great stuff.

Never should, nice take, stretching out and not repeating yourself-- hard to do. Great tone too.

Rag, sounds pleasant, just not sure I'm hearing Seven Steps to Heaven. I'd be interested in hearing you take it on faster and approaching it the way Jim Hall might have...one certainly doesn't have to burn 8th notes to play these tunes (but it sure is fun)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Never should, nice take, stretching out and not repeating yourself-- hard to do. Great tone too.
    Thanks! That’s my Eastman 810 CE7 (with TI JS113s over a 0.076” nickel RW 7th) directly into a TASCAM DAI.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Rag, sounds pleasant, just not sure I'm hearing Seven Steps to Heaven. I'd be interested in hearing you take it on faster and approaching it the way Jim Hall might have...one certainly doesn't have to burn 8th notes to play these tunes (but it sure is fun)
    Oh, it's always pleasant!

I did it quickly, didn't bother with the head because of all that start/stop stuff. But I agree, it was slow. I'm working up to a second take...

Maybe 63 bpm this time

User Info Menu

Putting my take into the mix. All my picks are songs that I really love. This is the song that really turned me onto jazz and opens the door to a new world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Great record! The impressions on this is also smokin. Ive got this one on vinyl. Love the greasy shuffle they do at the end of this tune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mastodonovan
    Great record! The impressions on this is also smokin. Ive got this one on vinyl. Love the greasy shuffle they do at the end of this tune!
    For those who don’t know this one, the tempo will ignite tinder. Benson’s on guitar, and it’s a toss up between him and Ronnie Cuber for tastiest technique. Every player is amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I had so much fun with this that the ending snuck up on me and I downshifted a bit clumsily after stumbling into the outro.
    Most appropriate and relevant comment on this whole thread!

Ray

User Info Menu

Here's to torturing oneself with ridiculous tempos ...