The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 83 of 83

User Info Menu

Borys Guitars think Joe used one on Songs for Ellen, according to this page on their site:

As Heard On — Borys Guitars

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another go at this, following some feedback from Christian. Also, channelling a little bit of Santana:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Those post hoc jazz lyrics are almost always terrible. Unless it's vocalese. That makes me smile every time—not always in a good way.
    One exception might be "Misty" which was played purely as an instrumental for years until someone composed lyrics, and those are now fused to the tune irrevocably.

User Info Menu

Those post hoc jazz lyrics are almost always terrible. Unless it's vocalese. That makes me smile every time—not always in a good way.
    Laughable and/or terrible lyrics are not unique to “vocalized” jazz instrumentals. For example. I could never get through “What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life?” without cracking up at “…north and south and east and west of your life”. Even playing it as an instrumental, I couldn’t turn off that stupid vocal in my head!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if she wrote the lyrics, but Joni Mitchell's Twisted is superb (as are the lyrics). It was relatively recently that I discovered it was a vocalisation of a jazz tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I'm not sure if she wrote the lyrics, but Joni Mitchell's Twisted is superb (as are the lyrics). It was relatively recently that I discovered it was a vocalisation of a jazz tune.
    That was a Lambert, Hendricks and Ross “hit” when Joni was knee high to a newt. Annie Ross wrote the lyrics to a tenor solo by Wardell Gray from the late 1940s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    That was a Lambert, Hendricks and Ross “hit” when Joni was knee high to a newt. Annie Ross wrote the lyrics to a tenor solo by Wardell Gray from the late 1940s.
    I love these guys for the kitsch. It’s all just so weird to me. Take a listen to Now’s the Time and be ready to plug your ears when the woman comes in at the end of the head.

User Info Menu

I love these guys for the kitsch. It’s all just so weird to me. Take a listen to Now’s the Time and be ready to plug your ears when the woman comes in at the end of the head.
    Annie Ross and Yolanda Bavan (an unknown who came out of the audience to take AR’s place at a concert when she was too far gone to perform) were two of the most amazing and outrageously flexible vocalists in history. With 5+ octave ranges, meticulous pitch and timing, and great voices, they’re models for bebop wannabes on any instrument.